OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The NHL play-offs are rough on my gym life. Right now, 6 days a week, m-f is 4;30 am, Sat is generally 6-7am. Obviously I am going to watch the Bruins, and they start at 7 so without OT I should be able to get to bed at 10, but of course you are adrenalized so that's sleep at 11. I'll move days around and maybe go 5 days for now.

I went to an after work spin class last night and rode really heavy. My legs were toast so I did some stretching this morning instead of the workout I had planned. I know I'm not going to want to get up at the ass crack of dawn tomorrow after game 1 so had planned it as a rest day, but given I wasn't able to get a good sweat in today I might have to rethink my plan.

Alternatively, maybe I can get my heart rate up enough at the game tonight to get a little bit of cardio in.

Reactions: LouJersey

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I went to an after work spin class last night and rode really heavy. My legs were toast so I did some stretching this morning instead of the workout I had planned. I know I'm not going to want to get up at the ass crack of dawn tomorrow after game 1 so had planned it as a rest day, but given I wasn't able to get a good sweat in today I might have to rethink my plan.

Alternatively, maybe I can get my heart rate up enough at the game tonight to get a little bit of cardio in.

haha, during any playoffs I bite the bullet and do the gym after the games. Figure Im loaded on adrenaline anyways and its not like Im gonna sleep win or lose

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The NHL play-offs are rough on my gym life. Right now, 6 days a week, m-f is 4;30 am, Sat is generally 6-7am. Obviously I am going to watch the Bruins, and they start at 7 so without OT I should be able to get to bed at 10, but of course you are adrenalized so that's sleep at 11. I'll move days around and maybe go 5 days for now.
Right.

I’ve committed to staying up for the B’s.
Round one, I’ll do hilights for the other series.

Pro sports and teacher’s schedules don’t mesh.

If I have to, I’ll bite the bullet and do an afternoon at the gym here and there if needed, but typically come 3:10pm, I’m shot.

Then there’s the going out part.
We’re going out tonight and I’ll watch the first period with a group.

I’m going to order a chicken tenders kids meal with salad and water.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Right.

I’ve committed to staying up for the B’s.
Round one, I’ll do hilights for the other series.

Pro sports and teacher’s schedules don’t mesh.

If I have to, I’ll bite the bullet and do an afternoon at the gym here and there if needed, but typically come 3:10pm, I’m shot.

Then there’s the going out part.
We’re going out tonight and I’ll watch the first period with a group.

I’m going to order a chicken tenders kids meal with salad and water.

yes good point the eating habits get stretched too. If I'm in bed 8;30-9, I'm not thinking of food. If it's 3-3 halfway through the 3rd, I may stress eat. I try to keep nothing in the house, but there is always something.

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019

Slacker! That's going to be tough on the gym going women of Jersey as well, haha.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Marathon weekend is so special. I’ve always loved it, but having run it, it’s a new level of respect and awe.

What they don’t tell you is run it once and have FOMO every. Other. Year.

Crossing my fingers to (maybe) be back next year.

Looking forward to the BAA 5k tomorrow morning. Running down Boylston is so much fun.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Woke up CRAVING junk this morning. Doughnuts. Waffles with bacon. You name it. It all sounded good.

I showed more restraint than Luke in Return of the Jedi when he refuses to finish Vader.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I had a bad weekend eating wise. Just didn't feel like behaving. Only exercised Sat as well and it was cut short, had new sneaks and they just weren't right. Forced myself out of bed this AM after 11pm bed time after Thrones and settling in...5 hours sleep tops.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Running beats swimming for cardiac fitness (not health)The Heart of a Swimmer vs. the Heart of a Runner

Interesting article, and as it suggests, I feel any type of cardio is beneficial. It's incumbent on people to find something they enjoy, so they'll stick with it.

I used to cycle on a bike trail nearby 300-500 miles a month. But as my rides became longer, it became more time consuming. I was also at the mercy of the weather, both rain and excessive heat. And even on a trail, it wasn't without dangers.

But mostly it got boring. I got where I had every tree on that trail memorized.

I don't know how it would rank next to running and swimming, but I love the jump rope. I don't even think of it as exercise, as I just love jumping. It's easy to make harder, too, in various ways. For instance I just made my rope 2 inches shorter.

I don't know if the benefit to the heart differs, but what I do is more like interval training. I jump rigorously 30-60 seconds then break, kinda like a hockey shift. That's as opposed to going out on the bike trail for a mostly uninterrupted 2+ hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Rhian

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Interesting article, and as it suggests, I feel any type of cardio is beneficial. It's incumbent on people to find something they enjoy, so they'll stick with it.

I used to cycle on a bike trail nearby 300-500 miles a month. But as my rides became longer, it became more time consuming. I was also at the mercy of the weather, both rain and excessive heat. And even on a trail, it wasn't without dangers.

But mostly it got boring. I got where I had every tree on that trail memorized.

I don't know how it would rank next to running and swimming, but I love the jump rope. I don't even think of it as exercise, as I just love jumping. It's easy to make harder, too, in various ways. For instance I just made my rope 2 inches shorter.

I don't know if the benefit to the heart differs, but what I do is more like interval training. I jump rigorously 30-60 seconds then break, kinda like a hockey shift. That's as opposed to going out on the bike trail for a mostly uninterrupted 2+ hours.
The author makes a common mistake when he says "heart health". Cardiovascular training improves heart fitness,but heart health is still at the mercy of diet,habits and genetics. Prime example is Dave McGilvray,avid marathoner that just had a triple bypass.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nothing drops testosterone levels like 5 hour sleeps, just sayin'

Yes this is true

Unless you are the rare types that can deep sleep from start to finish in 5 hours

Testosterone and hormonal health management is at the top of the list to create a healthy and happy long life imo

Cant be overlooked

Reactions: JOKER 192

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad