OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
There are a few foods that all are in agreement are bad; but for others, like eggs, some think they are good while others don't. It's incumbent upon us all to find what works for ourselves.

I'll throw a raw egg into a protein smoothie with a half cup of oatmeal, a cup of milk, and a frozen banana. It's 19g of protein and tastes like soft serve ice cream.

I'll also do two sunny side up eggs on whole wheat toast with a glass of milk. 430 calories, 28g protein.

I'm probably not quite getting my 1G of protein per pound of body weight, especially with my recent gain. But I am getting between .7G and 1G.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yes specially the good ones like
Avocado, avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil.

By feeding fat to our body, the food we eat will not be stored as fat , but will be used as energy.

Getting sufficient fat in your diet is satiating, cuts off cravings and eliminates impulsive eating behavior, accelerates weight loss from visceral fat, helps reduce blood sugar and triglycerides, raises HDL, helps get rid of small LDL particles that lead to heart disease (not cholesterol, part of the semi-fiction of the lipid-heart hypothesis), subdues the after-meal (postprandial) flood of lipoproteins into the bloodstream, helps reverse fatty liver, and is part of the overall strategy to maintain brain health.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'm down from 195 near Thanksgiving to 170 as of this AM, with some definite/noticeable increase in muscle as well, so likely more like down 30 lbs of fat.

90% of it was cleaning up (relatively) my diet; I've also been pretty consistent with working out at least 5 days a week (brief weight training in afternoon with core or cardio in the AM; no more than 1 hour total each day).

My key foods/tricks are:
1. Plain cheerios. I actually love them and I now use them as a "cheat" snack; you can eat a ton of them for 200-300 decent calories.
2. I cut up a few peppers, cucumbers & radish on Sundays & store them in a tupperware for the week (I keep cherry tomatoes at room temp & they are added in when I snack). put a papertowel on top before closing and they stay fresh all week.
3. Breakfast is a plain greek yogurt & a banana every day. 200 calories, tastes good and keeps me going until lunch.
4. Cut back (nearly out) all white flour. This was the hardest. I still linger by the baguettes every time I go food shopping; I google pictures of ciabatta at night; I dream I am sleeping inside of sour dough loaf.
5. Lean ground turkey. Make 3 lbs on Sundays. Store separate and mix with a small amount of corn, refried beans, gauc, salsa & hot sauce. Mix it all up and heat it in the microwave for 90 seconds. Looks like dog food but it tastes good, is filling w/ tons of protein & fiber, and for a relatively low calorie count. Plus it can be eaten in a bowl, with chips, in a taco or burrito etc. Easy prep & store, easy to eat all week, tastes good, and can be eaten in a variety of ways.
6. Crockpot chicken breast, shred it, mix with BBQ sauce (drain the chicken water/juice out before putting in the sauce). Not the best in the world but hits the "cheat" spot a hell of a lot healthier than pizza or a chicken parm sub.

I was wearing 35s (36 if I'm being honest). Finally had to replace all pants a month ago as the waist was so scrunched by the belt I'd look really silly. Now I'm down another notch and I'm starting to see the same situation happening with my new 32s, on my way to 30 I think...

Goal is to hit & sustain at 165 by July 1.

Had to brag somewhere since I'm 32 and all my friends are headed in the other direction so no one wants to hear my story haha.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I just bought a food scale and new double ended measuring spoons (one end is for dry measure and the other is liquid).

I was bad tonight with my Pasta but tomorrow is a new day and I will climb back on the wagon.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'll throw a raw egg into a protein smoothie with a half cup of oatmeal, a cup of milk, and a frozen banana. It's 19g of protein and tastes like soft serve ice cream.

I get that it comes down to opinions but when taste is your objective , your probably going to go wrong .

From my perspective,

Raw egg , not good
Oatmeal (grains) not good
Dairy ( not good)
Banana ( likely ripe/over ripe) not good

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I get that it comes down to opinions but when taste is your objective , your probably going to go wrong .

From my perspective,

Raw egg , not good
Dairy ( not good)

It takes awhile to handle unripe bananas and raw potato,I don't do either. It's true that the oatmeal and dairy are fictitiously healthy.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It takes awhile to handle unripe bananas and raw potato,I don't do either. It's true that the oatmeal and dairy are fictitiously healthy.

I eat my bananas just as they start turning yellow. The high resistant starch and low sugar in unripe bananas make them take a bit longer to digest but I'm not in any hurry. I see that as a positive as it keeps you feeling full longer and are less likely to be stored as adipose tissue as they won't spike insulin the way a ripe banana does . They are also a good source of probiotics and help in the digestion of calcium which your body does less effectively as you age. My main concern with Ripe/overripe bananas is the high glycemic index when the starch converts to sugar as the banana matures. For someone like me who came really close to pre-diabetes I avoid anything with a high glycemic index.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

From my perspective,

Raw egg , not good
Dairy ( not good)

I've read pros and cons from trusted sources on all of these and make my decisions based on what I find works for me. If I die from eating oatmeal and bananas, and drinking milk, so be it. ;)

I have some ectomorph tendencies, and have difficulty gaining weight. I'll be 51 soon, and want to maintain strength and muscle for as long as I can.

I also have a passionate hobby of jumping rope. I don't do it with fitness in mind, but obviously it's very good for me.

I used to cycle hundreds of miles a month, and because of my body type, I became underweight. It wasn't healthy at all.

The milk, eggs, fruit, etc. provide protein, nutrients and enough calories, which I need.

I've read Tom Brady's book, which I think is very good. But I just don't have the time or resources he has to live clean on that level.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I eat my bananas just as they start turning yellow. The high resistant starch and low sugar in unripe bananas make them take a bit longer to digest but I'm not in any hurry. I see that as a positive as it keeps you feeling full longer and are less likely to be stored as adipose tissue as they won't spike insulin the way a ripe banana does . They are also a good source of probiotics and help in the digestion of calcium which your body does less effectively as you age. My main concern with Ripe/overripe bananas is the high glycemic index when the starch converts to sugar as the banana matures. For someone like me who came really close to pre-diabetes I avoid anything with a high glycemic index.
In my Way of eating,bananas only make the show if they are unripe,so I don't bother. I may do half a cup of berries or a small plum here and there,but usually no forms of sugar.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I've read pros and cons from trusted sources on all of these and make my decisions based on what I find works for me. If I die from eating oatmeal and bananas, and drinking milk, so be it. ;)

I have some ectomorph tendencies, and have difficulty gaining weight. I'll be 51 soon, and want to maintain strength and muscle for as long as I can.

I also have a passionate hobby of jumping rope. I don't do it with fitness in mind, but obviously it's very good for me.

I used to cycle hundreds of miles a month, and because of my body type, I became underweight. It wasn't healthy at all.

The milk, eggs, fruit, etc. provide protein, nutrients and enough calories, which I need.

I've read Tom Brady's book, which I think is very good. But I just don't have the time or resources he has to live clean on that level.
It's not like a bullet to the brain,it's long and dragged out with various longterm illnesses. I was a guinea pig for myself with grains and dairy and sugar and spent 2 years popping nitro just to walk 10 feet. I never want to live through that again,I'll take the bullet.

Reactions: Aeroforce

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Everybody's case is unique I have Meso/endo tendencies so it's different for me but I can see an ecto getting away with the things you eat. More so than me anyway.

Eating healthy food is expensive. The reason why we animals are farmed the way they are is because it's very expensive to do it right and too many people wouldn't be able to afford it. Since I've learned about nutrition I have a hard time shopping for food. Most of what is sold in your average grocery store has one thing or another that disqualifies it from my list of healthy foods. Vegetables are about the only thing you can by and even then , many don't make the cut.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Everybody's case is unique I have Meso/endo tendencies so it's different for me but I can see an ecto getting away with the things you eat. More so than me anyway.

Eating healthy food is expensive. The reason why we animals are farmed the way they are is because it's very expensive to do it right and too many people wouldn't be able to afford it. Since I've learned about nutrition I have a hard time shopping for food. Most of what is sold in your average grocery store has one thing or another that disqualifies it from my list of healthy foods. Vegetables are about the only thing you can by and even then , many don't make the cut.
Agreed.

I eat a lot of things that people who eat very clean avoid. But I look at them as better options than what I could choose (and have in the past).

In addition to what I've already mentioned, my lunch everyday is a sandwich made with cold cuts. Tom Brady lectured me in his book about them being processed, and I get that.

But it fits my budget and schedule, as the sandwiches can be prepared quickly, easily, and affordably.

As for the grocery store, Brady avoids anything that comes in a box or bag. I understand the sentiment, but it's not an option for me at this time.

I do load up on fruits, without concern for the sugar content. But I am very active, and find fruit keeps me fueled up.

Brady also talks about the importance of rest. He sets his bedroom temperature at 65 degrees, which I'd also love to do. But where I live that would cost a fortune! ;)

So again, we all do the best we can in our own circumstances.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I made it 5 slices in and waved the white flag.

Damage control.
I was at the ballgame last night and the first hot dog (with mustard and onions) filled me up. But it was so good, I indulged in a second one.

It was a gorgeous night with the stadium roof open, the hot dogs were otherworldly, and the Astros rallied late to beat the Yankees.

Sometimes we need to simply enjoy the moment without counting calories or thinking we are 'cheating.'

Reactions: Kate08

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I was at the ballgame last night and the first hot dog (with mustard and onions) filled me up. But it was so good, I indulged in a second one.

It was a gorgeous night with the stadium roof open, the hot dogs were otherworldly, and the Astros rallied late to beat the Yankees.

Sometimes we need to simply enjoy the moment without counting calories or thinking we are 'cheating.'

I have spent a lot of time learning about diet culture and how f***ed up it’s made all of us. As someone who has fallen victim to diet culture for basically my whole life (being made fun of as early as 2nd grade for being “fat”), I’m proud of the mental and emotional work I’ve done to repair my relationship with food and my body. I won’t go so far as to say I’ve suffered from an eating disorder, but I will absolutely say I’ve suffered from a disordered relationship with food and through hard work I’m getting past that.

To that end, I hate the concept of cheating or food being labeled “bad” or “good”. Those are loaded words and have a negative impact on us. Whole health is about more than just what you’re feeding your body, it’s also about your relationship with food and how it impacts other areas of your life. If your mental or emotional state is negatively affected by a “diet” you’re on, then I’d argue it’s just as damaging as not watching what you’re eating.

My philosophy is every choice that you make that’s “healthier” than another option, that’s a win. That’s where I’m at in my health and wellness path. It’s not for everyone, and that’s ok. Will I die faster than someone who eats completely whole and healthy all the time? Maybe...but food and enjoyment of food is important to me in my lifestyle.

We all do the best we can for where we’re at. It shouldn’t be a comparison. Good for you for making choices that fit your definition of health and work within your budget and lifestyle.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I have spent a lot of time learning about diet culture and how ****ed up it’s made all of us. As someone who has fallen victim to diet culture for basically my whole life (being made fun of as early as 2nd grade for being “fat”), I’m proud of the mental and emotional work I’ve done to repair my relationship with food and my body. I won’t go so far as to say I’ve suffered from an eating disorder, but I will absolutely say I’ve suffered from a disordered relationship with food and through hard work I’m getting past that.

To that end, I hate the concept of cheating or food being labeled “bad” or “good”. Those are loaded words and have a negative impact on us. Whole health is about more than just what you’re feeding your body, it’s also about your relationship with food and how it impacts other areas of your life. If your mental or emotional state is negatively affected by a “diet” you’re on, then I’d argue it’s just as damaging as not watching what you’re eating.

My philosophy is every choice that you make that’s “healthier” than another option, that’s a win. That’s where I’m at in my health and wellness path. It’s not for everyone, and that’s ok. Will I die faster than someone who eats completely whole and healthy all the time? Maybe...but food and enjoyment of food is important to me in my lifestyle.

We all do the best we can for where we’re at. It shouldn’t be a comparison. Good for you for making choices that fit your definition of health and work within your budget and lifestyle.
GREAT stuff Kate08, and congratulations on where you are in your journey and how far you have come. :thumbu:

I'm right there with you on ALL of that.

Reactions: BMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I have spent a lot of time learning about diet culture and how ****ed up it’s made all of us. As someone who has fallen victim to diet culture for basically my whole life (being made fun of as early as 2nd grade for being “fat”), I’m proud of the mental and emotional work I’ve done to repair my relationship with food and my body. I won’t go so far as to say I’ve suffered from an eating disorder, but I will absolutely say I’ve suffered from a disordered relationship with food and through hard work I’m getting past that.

Yup.

hell, really you can eat nothing but McDonald's and lose weight...its not about what you eat as much as its about how much.

portion control is the biggest thing that trips people up, its why things like Nutrisystem work. They arent sending you some magical beans, just forcing portion control.

that and grazing are most people's biggest hurdles.

granted, Im in a different boat as Im trying to gain back lost mass from my shoulder surgery, but its easy to put on bad weight. Added back 3 good lbs the 1st month back, at 221 now and was at 240 before

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The NHL play-offs are rough on my gym life. Right now, 6 days a week, m-f is 4;30 am, Sat is generally 6-7am. Obviously I am going to watch the Bruins, and they start at 7 so without OT I should be able to get to bed at 10, but of course you are adrenalized so that's sleep at 11. I'll move days around and maybe go 5 days for now.

Reactions: Kate08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad