Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lots of guys out there, it'll be a very busy off season for the org.
New GM is going to have a lot to figure out.

Not only does he have to fill out a bunch of spots in the forward group. He has to figure out who to keep on defense, who can help out in net, which scouts and management people to keep. To top it all off needs to potentially find a whole new coaching staff.

Ideally if I'm Nicholson I'm telling all scouts to put together their reports on paper, so that when the new GM comes in he can see what these guys actually think about particular players. Needs to figure out who is full of shit and who actually is good at their jobs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
New GM is going to have a lot to figure out.

Not only does he have to fill out a bunch of spots in the forward group. He has to figure out who to keep on defense, who can help out in net, which scouts and management people to keep. To top it all off needs to potentially find a whole new coaching staff.

Ideally if I'm Nicholson I'm telling all scouts to put together their reports on paper, so that when the new GM comes in he can see what these guys actually think about particular players. Needs to figure out who is full of **** and who actually is good at their jobs.
I think KG stays no matter what. Only guy in the group with a good head on his shoulders, he clearly isn't a patsy either and can help the new GM see what is what.

I don't think a whole new coaching staff is needed and if so, usually the new coach has guys they want and its often up to them.

Gulutzan will be gone for sure. Yawney I could see staying as what he did with Nurses offensive game was good. The other guys I am unsure of.

Reactions: North

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I want a coach that can get the solid fundamentals of team play going, and had proven time and time again they can turn around young rosters, and have everyone playing for each other.

I'd go with Michel Therrien.

He's likely not someone we win a cup with, but he's a solid coach that can work with 'lesser' rosters.
He's helped turn a basement feeder like the Penguins into a Stanley Cup threat.
He guided a horribly constructed Habs team to a Conference Final.

He's not going to do a ton to help McDraiNuge, but everyone else will get a massive boost.
I’m going to be blunt, this is a flat out terrible suggestion.

No one wants to play for guys like Michel Therrien. This isn’t the 90’s and early 00’s.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The new gm will determine what kind of coach we have. If they go for an old style like holland i would expect the next veteran retread coach. If we get a younger more progressive gm I'd expect the next young hot shot kind of coach.

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
Best case scenario, Kevin Lowe hired as GM and MacT behind the bench. Could you imagine!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
One good thing about a new coach is all the players have a clean empty slate. Training camp will decide a lot for a lot of our players.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The new gm will determine what kind of coach we have. If they go for an old style like holland i would expect the next veteran retread coach. If we get a younger more progressive gm I'd expect the next young hot shot kind of coach.

Holland may be willing to hire Nelson since he coaches Detroit's minor league team.

That being said, I really don't want Holland as GM.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Why do we need a head coach, why not let Guletsan and Yawney run it as a tandem?

giphy.gif

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Let me say it again. Todd Nelson. No Retreads. If MacT gets fired into the sun our odds of this happening increase significantly.

This is the right personality for this team.
Sunday Q and A: Todd Nelson and his "jam it down their...

Give him some stud nuclear weapons like mc+d , he'll get the nags in the lineup pulling on the rope.
I just came to this thread to throw Nelson's name out as well. His record everywhere is really impressive. It's also clear that players want to play for him. But if MacT is there then this is a no go.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Funny that there are rumours that Gillis won’t be given an interview because of the Nylander thing like 12 years ago that pissed Lowe off.
And Nelson might not be considered because of MacT (or maybe Nelly hates MacT).

Yet they traded for Manning and just expected Connor to get over it because “he’s a pro”. Obviously McDavid did because he IS a pro and hella mature at age 22. Its just hilarious to compare the OBC and the way they operate vs. the youngest captain in NHL history.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Todd Nelson, Kris Knoblauch, Dominic Ducharme, Benoit Groulx.

Good list to start with, they need a good communicator and someone who can build confidence and get the team buying in. I like Nelson just for the irony of a guy they jettisoned a few years ago comes back and gets the team going.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Maybe it sounds petty and unorthodox; but I'd like to see McDavid involved with the hiring process for the coach. Have him sit in on the interviews, discuss the coaches vision for the locker room, his philosophies and on ice strategy. Connor's a smart kid, and he should have a say on what the Oilers on ice game plan is moving forward.

Reactions: Zerotonine

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'd be on board with a new guy like Knoblauch, a returnee like Nelson, or a veteran like Vigneault. Not interested in some of the other option to be honest, but I think those three are our best options.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There’s going to be a few options after the playoffs are done, especially if there’s a few early upsets. I think we’ll get an announcement on the new GM shortly after the playoffs are over. Our new coach will probably be announced before July 1. I’m hoping for an up and coming GM and a younger coach. Enough with these dinosaurs thinking the game is still the same as 10 years ago.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
There’s going to be a few options after the playoffs are done, especially if there’s a few early upsets. I think we’ll get an announcement on the new GM shortly after the playoffs are over. Our new coach will probably be announced before July 1. I’m hoping for an up and coming GM and a younger coach. Enough with these dinosaurs thinking the game is still the same as 10 years ago.
If the Preds lose and fire Laviolette he instantly is my top candidate but the other coaches like Paul Maurice I am more Meh on seems like the same old stuff we are going through. Otherwise I am thinking Keefe or possibly Benoit Groulx.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Maybe it sounds petty and unorthodox; but I'd like to see McDavid involved with the hiring process for the coach. Have him sit in on the interviews, discuss the coaches vision for the locker room, his philosophies and on ice strategy. Connor's a smart kid, and he should have a say on what the Oilers on ice game plan is moving forward.

How strange, I discussed the exact same thing with a buddy of mine. I agree 100%. It would be a progressive, forward thinking move, and automatically have your captain behind the coach 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad