Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If you guys don't mind me chiming in again but your front 6 is completely f***ed and such a source of problems that I don't see how anyone is gonna survive. A new coach might as well be gasoline on a fire.

The defense has been so greatly exacerbated and overworked because the lineup has been

Line 1: Draisaitl-McDavid-warm body followed by
Line 2: warm body-RNH-warm body

Then your bottom 6 is nothing else BUT warm bodies with Jujar and Milan "Precious" Lucic taking strolls around the defensive zone because there isn't a single lineup save for McDavid and Draisaitl that can sustain any kind of meaningful zone time and prevent the defense from having to actually play defense. I swear to God the Oilers are hiking on the back check and running fire drills on defense probably 60% of the time or better at 5 on 5 and it has to do with the fact that your offense has about 5 guys that are truly NHL level. I'll give credit to Chiasson though.... he's been a gem. Keep him.

Coaching isn't gonna fix this problem unless you're gonna bring in another Dead Puck Acolyte like Hitchcock who has the boys clogging the neutral zone like a toilet on spicy burrito night and no one is allowed to do a f***ing thing in the way of offense until it's time for a power play.

It is NOT a recipe for success.

Whoever the GM is has to gut the crap out of this lineup. There are so many non-NHL caliber players at the forward position it's a wonder to me how Hitch actually managed to win as many games as he did.

Laundry list

- Let Reider go because Banjo Bob is a moron and now Toby won't come back
- Get JP to Finland because another 82 games isn't gonna teach him anything new
- Let go of Malone and Rattie
- Mayyyybbbeee let go of Brodziak and see if there's a suitor. If you can sell high it'll be worth it
- Reserve a rocket to the sun for Precious and see if his buyout cannot be grandfathered as "compliance" post CBA
- Take whatever money you can find and get yourself another Top 6 forward.... Kassian isn't gonna wake up one day and realize he's a 20 goal scorer next to McDavid and Draisaitl

You need to streamline..... the Oilers are bad AND almost out of money. It's insane the incompetence of Chiarelli

TL;DR/who the f*** is this guy? version: You CAN NOT win hockey games with this much lack of skill up front. It has gotten so bad that bringing back Yakupov and Eberle for a spell is actually an upgrade to the current situation. Until it's remedied it's not gonna matter who the coach is. The game has passed Hitch by and you're basically gonna wind up with Mike Yeo at this point if things don't change.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you guys don't mind me chiming in again but your front 6 is completely ****ed and such a source of problems that I don't see how anyone is gonna survive. A new coach might as well be gasoline on a fire.

The defense has been so greatly exacerbated and overworked because the lineup has been

Line 1: Draisaitl-McDavid-warm body followed by
Line 2: warm body-RNH-warm body

Then your bottom 6 is nothing else BUT warm bodies with Jujar and Milan "Precious" Lucic taking strolls around the defensive zone because there isn't a single lineup save for McDavid and Draisaitl that can sustain any kind of meaningful zone time and prevent the defense from having to actually play defense. I swear to God the Oilers are hiking on the back check and running fire drills on defense probably 60% of the time or better at 5 on 5 and it has to do with the fact that your offense has about 5 guys that are truly NHL level. I'll give credit to Chiasson though.... he's been a gem. Keep him.

Coaching isn't gonna fix this problem unless you're gonna bring in another Dead Puck Acolyte like Hitchcock who has the boys clogging the neutral zone like a toilet on spicy burrito night and no one is allowed to do a ****ing thing in the way of offense until it's time for a power play.

It is NOT a recipe for success.

Whoever the GM is has to gut the crap out of this lineup. There are so many non-NHL caliber players at the forward position it's a wonder to me how Hitch actually managed to win as many games as he did.

Laundry list

- Let Reider go because Banjo Bob is a moron and now Toby won't come back
- Get JP to Finland because another 82 games isn't gonna teach him anything new
- Let go of Malone and Rattie
- Mayyyybbbeee let go of Brodziak and see if there's a suitor. If you can sell high it'll be worth it
- Reserve a rocket to the sun for Precious and see if his buy cannot be grandfathered as "compliance" post CBA
- Take whatever money you can find and get yourself another Top 6 forward.... Kassian isn't gonna wake up one day and realize he's a 20 goal scorer next to McDavid and Draisaitl.

TL;DR/who the **** is this guy version: You CAN NOT win hockey games with this much lack of skill up front. It has gotten so bad that bringing back Yakupov and Eberle for a spell is actually an upgrade to the current situation. Until it's remedied it's not gonna matter who the coach is. The game has passed Hitch by and you're basically gonna wind up with Mike Yeo at this point if things don't change.

Bro you’re one of us now. Western Canadians are as passionate about hockey as any culture you’ll find.

One thing though, it isn’t spicy burritos though. What do you know about donairs? That’s the food of HFOil.

Donairs >> burritos AINEC

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If the Leafs get blown out in round one and fire Mike Babcock would you do it? Has he been exposed as overrated or are they playing crappy because of lineup issues? I am in for the Cock upgrade!

Seems like another overhyped McLellan type thst can only succeed if he's got doughty and Lidstrom tier dmen.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Bro you’re one of us now. Western Canadians are as passionate about hockey as any culture you’ll find.

One thing though, it isn’t spicy burritos though. What do you know about donairs? That’s the food of HFOil.

Donairs >> burritos AINEC

Heh, thanks for the compliment. If it makes you feel any weirder I am a lifelong Floridian who has never seen snow beyond the sheet of ice at Amalie Arena and that one time in 2002 when there was enough frost buildup along the wooden handrails of the entrances of our external classrooms and a young 14 year old Sunny scraped enough together to make a very small, crude snowball and pegged the f*** out of my buddy with it.

And Donairs? I know about them. Well at least from Trailer Park Boys. That's about as Canadian as it gets. Well that and Poutine. Gotta try em both. The closest I've gotten to actual Canadian anything is that my mother (born and raised in Michigan) likes Canadian style Maple Syrup and that stuff is so sweet it makes me wince. I think my dad (adopted Minnesotan) likes it like that too.

I just hope Donairs don't give you the shits

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Heh, thanks for the compliment. If it makes you feel any weirder I am a lifelong Floridian who has never seen snow beyond the sheet of ice at Amalie Arena and that one time in 2002 when there was enough frost buildup along the wooden handrails of the entrances of our external classrooms and a young 14 year old Sunny scraped enough together to make a very small, crude snowball and pegged the **** out of my buddy with it.

And Donairs? I know about them. Well at least from Trailer Park Boys. That's about as Canadian as it gets. Well that and Poutine. Gotta try em both. The closest I've gotten to actual Canadian anything is that my mother (born and raised in Michigan) likes Canadian style Maple Syrup and that stuff is so sweet it makes me wince. I think my dad (adopted Minnesotan) likes it like that too.

I just hope Donairs don't give you the ****s

Lol well I think you need to do a hockey pilgrimage to Western Canada.

If you want to see how we do it come to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba in January/February. See how long you can last on an outdoor rink.

Western Canada is the land of Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Dave “the Hammer” Schultz, Eddie Shore, etc.

As someone who comes across as a diehard fan, you need to lace them up in the heartland of hockey at least once in your life.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Lol well I think you need to do a hockey pilgrimage to Western Canada.

If you want to see how we do it come to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba in January/February. See how long you can last on an outdoor rink.

Western Canada is the land of Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Dave “the Hammer” Schultz, Eddie Shore, etc.

As someone who comes across as a diehard fan, you need to lace them up in the heartland of hockey at least once in your life.

You'll be pleasantly surprised to know I own several sticks and my own pair of skates. But of course, I'm that guy who needs his blades sharpened. My friend and I bought a net once and we took shots in the driveway in the scorching April sun because hockey season was over and the Lightning were out of the playoffs. I swear to God I took my first ever shot about 10 feet away and I shot it 6 feet wide.

*sniffle* Makes me shed a tear of joy just thinking about it.

PS- Your omission of Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman is duly noted ;) you'd lose your mind at how much I know about players. During that 2005 lockout the only thing that kept me sane was scouring every fact about the game I could find.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You'll be pleasantly surprised to know I own several sticks and my own pair of skates. But of course, I'm that guy who needs his blades sharpened. My friend and I bought a net once and we took shots in the driveway in the scorching April sun because hockey season was over and the Lightning were out of the playoffs. I swear to God I took my first ever shot about 10 feet away and I shot it 6 feet wide.

*sniffle* Makes me shed a tear of joy just thinking about it.

PS- Your omission of Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman is duly noted ;) you'd lose your mind at how much I know about players. During that 2005 lockout the only thing that kept me sane was scouring every fact about the game I could find.

Those two are British Columbians, while technically part of Western Canada it’s very different than the 3 prairie provinces.

Don’t even get us started on the pipeline fights.

It’s a completely different culture in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.

British Columbia, especially on the coast is more like California, the Western prairie provinces are more like Minnesota if that makes sense.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Those two are British Columbians, while technically part of Western Canada it’s very different than the 3 prairie provinces.

Don’t even get us started on the pipeline fights.

It’s a completely different culture in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.

British Columbia, especially on the coast is more like California, the Western prairie provinces are more like Minnesota if that makes sense.

Given the fact that Winnipeg is a 2 hours drive due north of Grand Forks North Dakota it makes absolutely perfect sense for you to say that.

There's a reason why The Fighting Sioux of UND and the Golden Gophers of UM are amongst the premier college hockey clubs in the United States. For so many miles due south of the Canadian Shield towards east/central North America and central/west along the prairies, the border separating Canada and the USA is merely a formality and it's because the people and places are not so dissimilar that you cannot say they don't abide by a common culture. I've been lucky enough to get as far north as South Dakota with my dad (the adopted Minnesotan) and it God's country out that way.

I have met a handful of people from Canada and I'll be damned if they aren't almost exactly like the people from Michigan, north New York and Minnesota.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Given the fact that Winnipeg is a 2 hours drive due north of Grand Forks North Dakota it makes absolutely perfect sense for you to say that.

There's a reason why The Fighting Sioux of UND and the Golden Gophers of UM are amongst the premier college hockey clubs in the United States. For so many miles due south of the Canadian Shield towards east/central North America and central/west along the prairies, the border separating Canada and the USA is merely a formality and it's because the people and places are not so dissimilar that you cannot say they don't abide by a common culture. I've been lucky enough to get as far north as South Dakota with my dad (the adopted Minnesotan) and it God's country out that way.

I have met a handful of people from Canada and I'll be damned if they aren't almost exactly like the people from Michigan, north New York and Minnesota.

Yeah, lots of shared similarities. Large contingents of British, German, and Nordic populations settled those areas in Canada. Similarly German and Nordic populations settled in the border states in the USA.

Anyways, you do need to make a hockey pilgrimage one day to Western Canada.

If you showed up on an outdoor rink telling people you’re from Florida and came to experience outdoor hockey in the middle of a Canadian winter you’ll make lots of friends. Would be a fun story for your fair weathered friends back home as well!

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I was surprised that Chiasson advocated for a younger coach who can relate more to the young guys in his end of the season availability, it seemed like most guys were dancing around the Hitch question, but reading between the lines I think the general sentiment is they want a new coach. The guy I want is Sheldon Keefe, his coaching record is pretty stellar, guys seem to develop well under him, seem to like playing for him, and while it's hard to say if his coaching style is right for our group with so many changes on the horizon, I think he'd be good for the most important members of the team.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm over hiring these veteran coaches. Find the next up and comer. Kris Knoblauch, Rocky Thompson, Todd Nelson, Sheldon Keefe. These are guys we should be looking at.

There is danger in that as well. That said I want nothing to do with a coach from Toronto again after the Eakins disaster. The Toronto media self promotes ad nauseam. Rocky Thompson might be a good one, Kris Knoblauch as well. What about our own 2 guys, Manny Vivreous (sp?) or Jay Woodcroft?

Personally I would like to see Woodcroft mature as a coach with Bakersfield for a year or two more but according to some he has done a masterful job down there and really connects to the young guys.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I want a coach that can get the solid fundamentals of team play going, and had proven time and time again they can turn around young rosters, and have everyone playing for each other.

I'd go with Michel Therrien.

He's likely not someone we win a cup with, but he's a solid coach that can work with 'lesser' rosters.
He's helped turn a basement feeder like the Penguins into a Stanley Cup threat.
He guided a horribly constructed Habs team to a Conference Final.

He's not going to do a ton to help McDraiNuge, but everyone else will get a massive boost.

Last edited:
Reactions: WIOiler

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm kind of happy that we don't have a gm to pick a coach yet. Seems like guys are going after the same old guys which should leave us a chance to actually go with some new blood.

Not saying Quennville wouldn't be good or bad, but last time there was a high profile guy we jumped on him and didn't do our due diligence.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I want a coach that can get the solid fundamentals of team play going, and had proven time and time again they can turn around young rosters, and have everyone playing for each other.

I'd go with Michel Therrien.

He's likely not someone we win a cup with, but he's a solid coach that can work with 'lesser' rosters.
He's helped turn a basement feeder like the Penguins into a Stanley Cup threat.
He guided a horribly constructed Habs team to a Conference Final.

He's not going to do a ton to help McDraiNuge, but everyone else will get a massive boost.

I hate to be a dick but MT has an insatiable fetish for grinders and your entire season will consist of your big 3 being saddled to get whoever the David Deharnais of your team going. Probably Lucic.

The Habs were guided by Halak singlehandedly destroying the Caps and Pens and nothing else.

His Penguins team won the Cup the next year and was already one of the best teams in the league

Believe me given how many non NHL players consume the roster MT is the worst idea anyone can have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce