Head Coach Search - Botts has a list and he's checking it twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The problem is that besides Keefe all of the other options are so awful and underwhelming that bringing back Ruff with the idea that he will be a 2-3 year stopgap until Taylor is ready would be by far the best outcome possible.

In no way is hiring Ruff a best possible outcome.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
What candidate would you go with who has serious credibility as an NHL coach and who is actually available? I'd like to hear who you would go with.

Wait until the playoffs are over at this point. Botts missed on the good candidates that were immediately available, so at this point there's no reason to limit the search on what's available now.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I’ve yet to read a single compelling argument for why hiring Ruff would be bad. So it’s clear, “he’s a bad coach,” or arguments that convey the same are the only arguments that I would find compelling. “It’s just too cute,” and other similar arguments are, I think, exactly as bad as the arguments to hire him that say, “It’d be good will to long suffering fans,” and similar crap. If we were to hire Ruff, I would like it simply on the face of, he’s a good coach and we haven’t had one as good as him since him and he was willing to take the job (presuming he does). That’s a good argument. For what it’s worth.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Say the Amerks win the Calder Cup, or even just make the finals, would you feel differently about promoting Taylor?
No, continue to wait.

You can drink the kool aid and believe the pr spin if you want. It's been 3 guys. Q (per Buffalo News and others), McLellan, and A/V (per Jeremy White). Now your down to scraps, taking a wild stab, or Chris Taylor ( who I predicted the day Housley got fired)
There is no evidence either of them was offered the Buffalo job.

I know what will put a stop to the negative thoughts!

Jesus you guys had to deal with embarrassing crap as kids :/
And it's bad grammar. It should be talking proudly. Proud is an adjective used to describe a noun. Proudly is an adverb.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I’ve yet to read a single compelling argument for why hiring Ruff would be bad. So it’s clear, “he’s a bad coach,” or arguments that convey the same are the only arguments that I would find compelling. “It’s just too cute,” and other similar arguments are, I think, exactly as bad as the arguments to hire him that say, “It’d be good will to long suffering fans,” and similar crap. If we were to hire Ruff, I would like it simply on the face of, he’s a good coach and we haven’t had one as good as him since him and he was willing to take the job (presuming he does). That’s a good argument. For what it’s worth.

I remember plenty of logical arguments against Ruff; He terribly mismanaged his goalies, developing youth wasn't his strength, and his defensive systems have been incredibly weak for the last decade. Sure, he adjusted his coaching style after the lockout and opened things up, but his change in style came at the expense of his team's defensive performance. He hasn't coached a good defensive team in a long time, and it seems that his systems haven't evolved either. Over the past 10 years, check out his team's CA, GA, or xGA numbers, they're bad.

If we're hiring someone that's not in the upper tier of candidates, I'd rather hire someone who's not done growing as a coach.

Reactions: Chainshot and Husko

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Since the cocaptins left, he’s coached 10 seasons as a head coach. In those 10, he’s won just 2 division titles and gotten last the first round of the playoffs just once. He also only made the playoffs 4 of those 10 years (in a league where over half the teams make it). Aside from a couple nice runs, his career as a coach has been a seminar in mediocrity. Add in that he’s been out of the game for a couple years, and there were questions about the game passing him by when he left Dallas...

I love ruff. I grew up with him as our coach. I’ll always have fond memories. But him as our coach just doesn’t interest me at all. President? Sure. Coach? Not at all. It would feel like a plea to be average.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Since the cocaptins left, he’s coached 10 seasons as a head coach. In those 10, he’s won just 2 division titles and gotten last the first round of the playoffs just once. He also only made the playoffs 4 of those 10 years (in a league where over half the teams make it). Aside from a couple nice runs, his career as a coach has been a seminar in mediocrity. Add in that he’s been out of the game for a couple years, and there were questions about the game passing him by when he left Dallas...

I love ruff. I grew up with him as our coach. I’ll always have fond memories. But him as our coach just doesn’t interest me at all. President? Sure. Coach? Not at all. It would feel like a plea to be average.
4 of 10 > 0 of 8.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jesus you guys had to deal with embarrassing crap as kids :/

It still crops up. There is so much cringe in the John Murphy plug for the fundraiser for the museum he does on GR -- there is even a "we'll all be talkin' proud" in it that just... I can't even.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
An intrepid reporter should have asked him "If that's how you feel why did you turn down that job to take over a team with a worse roster filled with old and slow guys who are completely obsolete in today's NHL and with a worse prospect pool on top of it?".

Again, it's widely reported we never even made an offer. What serious journalist would ask "Why did you turn down the offer you were never presented with?" Who would ask the guy such a stupid question?

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
i adored lindy when he was coach, he remains one of my favorite all time sabres figures and is tied to many of the fond memories i have of following the team. that’s exactly why i’m praying they don’t bring him back.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Again, it's widely reported we never even made an offer. What serious journalist would ask "Why did you turn down the offer you were never presented with?" Who would ask the guy such a stupid question?

Perhaps someone who's name rhymes with Ike Parrington?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Ruff hasn't been out of the game. He has been an assistant with NYR since being fired from Dallas. He has been continually employed (every season) as a coach since his first job as an assistant with Florida in '93-'94. The rest of your post is fair.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His Dallas teams were not NHL-level defensively responsible. There was a definite issue there, which is why they snapped the other way and installed Hitch.

Reactions: Fezzy126

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am fairly certain that "he was never given an offer to turn down" is us trying to save face after he met with Botts as a courtesy and informed him he already decided to go to LA.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m more worried about getting leftover assistants again than who the head coach is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->