Head Coach Search - Botts has a list and he's checking it twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
The Pegula's do not like being embarrassed by their employees how embarrassing is this coaching search starting to look?
How is it embarrassing???? We have been linked to one guy and we didn’t offer him a contract (that’s what I got out of bob macs tweets). Just because we haven’t hired someone the instant Housley was fired is not embarrassing

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't understand what they have to be embarrassed about when it comes to this coaching search. If we make the playoffs nobody is going to look back and laugh at us for taking a couple extra weeks to hire a coach. If we don't make the playoffs they will be laughing at us for not making it and nobody will remember or care how long it took us to hire a coach anyway.

Since when did taking your time hiring a coach = embarrassing? If we hire the wrong guy, that will be the embarrassing part, not how long we took to hire someone.

It would be very embarrassing if they hire the wrong guy again, seeing as that would be 5 guys in a row that were so wrong for what the team needed. They should be ashamed of themselves on the collection of coaches, just on the Sabres side as they kept Lindy on too long, Hired Rolston, Nolan, Bylsma, Housley...That alone, especially with the state of the Sabres at each point, should rule the Pegulas out for being involved in further coach searches. They are horrible at it.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I see no embarrassment in the hiring process yet. We haven't officially tried to go all in on anyone and then used as leverage. If you consider the TM situation for what it was - a coach who had already been in talks with LA who did us a professional courtesy and sat down with our GM, but ultimately decided to honor his previous plan with LA.

If we wait long enough into the playoffs, someone may shake free. We certainly aren't losing anything by waiting.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Ruff was a great coach. He was let go out of respect that the GM was planning on tanking and he wasn’t on board with that

It’s nit nostalgia. He’s a great coach if he came back

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
Not sure where the tanking part comes through on Ruff's firing...

Struggling Sabres fire head coach Lindy Ruff

Ron Rolston in for fired Lindy Ruff
Feb 20, 2013

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Lindy Ruff is out as coach in Buffalo, meaning the slow-starting, inconsistent and sometimes lethargic Sabres have now become Ron Rolston's mess to clean up.

Rolston was promoted from the Sabres' minor league affiliate, AHL Rochester, to finish out the season as Buffalo's interim head coach Wednesday.

The move was made hours after Ruff was fired amid growing criticism for the team's early-season struggles. And it came less than a week after Ruff had defiantly said he wasn't done trying to "clean up this mess."

The turnaround never came for Ruff and the Sabres (6-10-1), who are in the midst of a 4-10-1 slump after a 2-1 home loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday.

It was a game in which the Sabres were booed several times for their turnover-filled and inconsistent effort.

"I think the last game was quite honestly a tipping point. And it was evident to me that we were searching for answers to too many questions," general manger Darcy Regier said. "I think we were making some strides, but in the end, for every two steps forward, it was one step back, and sometimes not that."

"I'm disappointed for myself. I'm disappointed for Lindy. And when I see the players, I'm disappointed for them, too." Regier said. "We should all be disappointed. As far as anger, we have too much work to do."

The news of Ruff's firing came as a surprise only because Sabres management, including team president Ted Black, had spent much of the past week voicing support of Ruff.

Team owner Terry Pegula was also regarded as a big fan of Ruff.

Pegula, however, was running out of options in his bid to turn the Sabres into a Stanley Cup contender, an objective he made clear upon purchasing the team two years ago. Ruff's firing comes nearly two years to the day Pegula formally took over as the Sabres owner on Feb. 22, 2011.

"The hockey world knows how I and the entire Buffalo Sabres organization feel about Lindy Ruff not only as a coach but also as a person," Pegula said in a statement released by the team. "His qualities have made this decision very difficult. I personally want Lindy to know that he can consider me a friend always."

Under Ruff, the Sabres made the playoffs in each of his first four seasons and eight times overall. That included a surprising run to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999, when Buffalo was eliminated by Dallas in six games.

The Sabres, however, haven't been the same since reaching the Eastern Conference finals -- losing both times -- in both 2006 and '07. Buffalo has missed the playoffs in three of the past five seasons.
New York Islanders.

Reactions: Paxon

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
When I was looking at assistant coaches around the league that maybe would be a hidden gem, I noticed that a lot of these good AHL coaches get promoted to NHL assistants. In saying that, I think Chris Taylor should get a look at coming up to be an assistant in the NHL. It would allow for a common voice for the guys he coached the last two years and allows us to not risk hiring him to be HC too early.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ruff was a great coach. He was let go out of respect that the GM was planning on tanking and he wasn’t on board with that

It’s nit nostalgia. He’s a great coach if he came back
Like has been said, that is not what happened. The team looked like garbage. Darcy fired him to try and improve team performance.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Like has been said, that is not what happened. The team looked like garbage. Darcy fired him to try and improve team performance.

Team was garbage because Grigirenko and Leino were trash. Not Ruff. A year later they’re selling all the pieces away

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Team was garbage because Grigirenko and Leino were trash. Not Ruff. A year later they’re selling all the pieces away
You don't need to defend Ruff in response to my comment as it wasn't criticizing him. I'm just arguing that he wasn't fired to protect him from the tank. He was fired for team performance reasons after having been the coach for a century. You think Darcy was trying to do him a favor with an early season firing? Sorry but that is just nutty.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
You can drink the kool aid and believe the pr spin if you want. It's been 3 guys. Q (per Buffalo News and others), McLellan, and A/V (per Jeremy White). Now your down to scraps, taking a wild stab, or Chris Taylor ( who I predicted the day Housley got fired)

How is it embarrassing???? We have been linked to one guy and we didn’t offer him a contract (that’s what I got out of bob macs tweets). Just because we haven’t hired someone the instant Housley was fired is not embarrassing

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
You don't need to defend Ruff in response to my comment as it wasn't criticizing him. I'm just arguing that he wasn't fired to protect him from the tank. He was fired for team performance reasons after having been the coach for a century. You think Darcy was trying to do him a favor with an early season firing? Sorry but that is just nutty.

He was fired after team performance was clear the young guys were a work in progress and they brought up a developmental coach. The next year they started tearing down for the tank.

Ostensibly it was for performance, but the gears were already turning.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think it's more the widespread public perception that no serious coach is interested in this job and that the only people interested are guys who would have no chance of getting any other NHL gig.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
You can drink the kool aid and believe the pr spin if you want. It's been 3 guys. Q (per Buffalo News and others), McLellan, and A/V (per Jeremy White). Now your down to scraps, taking a wild stab, or Chris Taylor ( who I predicted the day Housley got fired)

What kool aid is being served up and by who?

What PR spin are you speaking of and by who?

Reactions: Eichel9

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Who cares why Ruff got fired. He's gone. He's not coming back. Move on.
The problem is that besides Keefe all of the other options are so awful and underwhelming that bringing back Ruff with the idea that he will be a 2-3 year stopgap until Taylor is ready would be by far the best outcome possible.

Reactions: youngdinosaur

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Maybe word about the organization has gotten around from Pat LaFontaine?

Yeah, finally after 5 years or whatever it was, word is finally getting out.

Seriously, you should quit while you are ahead. We all realize the hole this team is in but your feelings about being embarrassed less than two weeks into a coaching search is funny.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Todd McLellan calls Sabres' coaching vacancy a 'really good job'

"I can tell you whoever gets that job will have a great ownership group and a management group to work with. They’ve got a tremendous pool of assets and it will be a really good job."
An intrepid reporter should have asked him "If that's how you feel why did you turn down that job to take over a team with a worse roster filled with old and slow guys who are completely obsolete in today's NHL and with a worse prospect pool on top of it?".

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
An intrepid reporter should have asked him "If that's how you feel why did you turn down that job to take over a team with a worse roster filled with old and slow guys who are completely obsolete in today's NHL and with a worse prospect pool on top of it?".

A coach picking a different team isn't necessarily an indictment of our roster/ownership.

Maybe the LAK offered more $$. Maybe he didn't want to re-locate his family to Buffalo.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny

Didnt bobby mac say we never offered him the job? Never got to term or salary? Cause that to me isnt him turning down the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad