Speculation: Head Coach Hunt 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I agree, but it's a BIG if.
I really dont think its that big of an IF... a BIG if would be him being a 20-25 goal scorer. Jaskin scoring 10-15 goals is about what I expect...while also being very sound defensively and tough to play against.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This depressing fact just occurred to me; the Entry Draft is TEN EFFING WEEKS away...

BA going on all these radio shows saying he has to decide quick because he wants a coach before the draft got me all excited. Totally forgot it's not in June anymore because of the pandemic. TEN WEEKS?!?!? Ugh...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really dont think its that big of an IF... a BIG if would be him being a 20-25 goal scorer. Jaskin scoring 10-15 goals is about what I expect...while also being very sound defensively and tough to play against.
Jaskin has only scored more than ten goals once in his career, so I would say 15 is a BIG if. If he is here to take Fischers spot we might gain a couple of points, that's about it. I have never followed Jaskin when he was in the NHL but he's not in the league for a reason. A hope and a prayer.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This depressing fact just occurred to me; the Entry Draft is TEN EFFING WEEKS away...

BA going on all these radio shows saying he has to decide quick because he wants a coach before the draft got me all excited. Totally forgot it's not in June anymore because of the pandemic. TEN WEEKS?!?!? Ugh...

It could take half of those 10 weeks just to get zeroed in on a couple of finalists.

BTW Gallant interviewed with the Rangers today.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Can someone explain why there's any concern about the incoming coach's salary? I see a range of about $2M to $5M. That's a lot of money, but relative to the players' payroll, that difference is like 5 percent. Even with a cash-strapped team, is it wise to be concerned about that level of spending on somebody who has so much to do with the team's success, and subsequently, gate receipts?

rt

May 13, 2004
What if BA goes very young?

Like Jay Leach, young? He's 41 years old. He was a Coyotes draft pick (5th round in 1998) and did four years as a hard-nosed, stay-at-home D for Providence College. He later played pro in the ECHL (including a stop with the Trenton Titans - formerly coached by BA) and the AHL (including a stint with the Providence Bruins - formerly coached by BA), and various cups of coffee with several NHL teams. He's been an assistant coach in the DEL, as well as with the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins (and a stint as interim HC) but more recently has been the head coach of the Providence Bruins for the last four season (playoff caliber all four years with P% of .625, .572, .661 and .680).
Just noticed the Leach was actually coached by Armstrong when BA was HC of Trenton in the ECHL. Leach was a big, tough defenseman (like BA himself) during those days playing for BA. BA has mentioned being GM of Trenton during this time (though I haven't seen this officially listed), so it's possible he was responsible for brining Leach in as a player. During Leach's four years playing at Providence College, BA was playing for and then coaching the Providence Bruins.

He's probably too young and too inexperienced to jump right into the NHL as a Head Coach. But I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy brought into the fold in some way or another.

They obviously still talk:
Mark Divver: Rookie head coach Jay Leach has P-Bruins rolling
Billy Armstrong – and he said you’ll learn more in your first year as a head coach than you’ll ever learn at any other time in pro hockey. I believe it. You’re thrown into so many different situations and so quickly that it challenges you,″ Leach said.

Leach has no NHL coaching experience. But he did play in 820 professional hockey games, including 70 in the NHL, but primarily he was an AHL player. He's been a head coach in the AHL for four seasons, now. He hasn't had a losing record yet (and I'm calling OTL losses, here, and had playoff pace in all four.

It's an impressive start to his coaching career and he seems like a bright coaching prospect. But it would seem a bit soon to go all the way up to NHL HC.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
BA said he wants a list of 10 names. Here's 14 that have either been mentioned by media people or just might make sense given criteria:

David Quinn
Todd Nelson
Derek Laxdal
Lane Lambert
Jay Woodcroft
Nate Leaman
Mike Van Ryn
Rocky Thompson
Brad Larsen
Kris Knoblauch
Andre Tourigny
Jay Leach
Spencer Carbery
Pascal Vincent

^ who am I missing?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Can someone explain why there's any concern about the incoming coach's salary? I see a range of about $2M to $5M. That's a lot of money, but relative to the players' payroll, that difference is like 5 percent. Even with a cash-strapped team, is it wise to be concerned about that level of spending on somebody who has so much to do with the team's success, and subsequently, gate receipts?
My thoughts exactly.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Because they might be making a fundamental business mistake, focusing on cost instead of ROI. While costs are important for any business, ROI trumps cost every time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because they might be making a fundamental business mistake, focusing on cost instead of ROI. While costs are important for any business, ROI trumps cost every time.
That's why we have BA as our GM. Really hope he succeeds because he has done his time and deserves a chance, just wish it wasn't with us.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.

True but ROI is, in some instances, much more difficult to ascertain. Cost is staring you in the face while ROI is substantially more subjective.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018

To me it's not the money, but the new factor. A young new coach that BA found. A piece of clay to form.

BA is looking for fire in a man.

He is a great evaluator of men, so I would give him leeway.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
That's why we have BA as our GM. Really hope he succeeds because he has done his time and deserves a chance, just wish it wasn't with us.
Why? He has done everything right on paper, or at least has logic behind it right? Why can't we Coyotes fans have nice things?

He's a guy coming from a long tenure with a winning franchise and publicly releases info about his plan (though it's still behind a shade). His plan aligns with what many of us have been saying has been missing right? He says the most important position to build around is center and we haven't had one of those in ever. The closest we have been to top 6 centers is now with Dvorak and Schmaltz and back in the Maloney Era with Hanzal and Lombardi. I guess we could include Roenick and Tkuchuck but that was pretty short lived and neither player wanted to be here.

Sounds to me like he could be exactly what we want and if he does a good job, I would bet my salary that we keep and pay him. Winning orgs are not generally in the red. If he brings winning to the desert, I'd be inclined to believe our budget for everything increases.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’ve been consuming a bunch of interviews with these candidates. Podcasts and YouTube.

In terms of effective self-expression, sharing interesting and educational insights and conveying a true passion and motivational quality; Rocky Thompson is miles ahead of the rest I’ve been checking out. It’s not close. He’s head and shoulders above. If I could hire him to be my boss, I’d do it in a second. He’s a guy I want to work for.

Him and Quinn give off the most “big-league” vibes. They have the most “it” factor for commanding presence. I’d say Knoblauch has a bit of this too. More than many of the rest.

Nate Leaman is hilariously similar to Don Maloney. He looks and sounds like him. Smart but kinda goofy. He’s disarming. Kind of opposite of Quinn in this way. Quinn you cant take your eyes off of. Leaman you want to put your arm around.

Lane Lambert is a Rick Tocchet clone. Same marble mouth meat head routine. Don’t find him impressive in any way. He’s my least favorite.

Spencer Carbery is surprisingly captivating. So, so young, though. I think he looks like a great coaching prospect. But I he’s just too young for me. I think he needs more experience and seasoning.

Larsen and Woodcroft say the right things. Both had some good insights. But both are snoozers for me. They’re okay. Van Ryn and Laxdal are kind of in this category but a bit better. Van Ryn especially. Nelson is a bit more like a cross between Leaman and Thompson, in that he seems motivating but also a bit goofy.

If I had to base the hiring just off of what I can find on the internet, Rocky Thompson would be my guy for sure.

Luckily Bill Armstrong has more than Google at his disposal. LOL.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's funny you mention Leaman/Maloney because when I look at Leaman he looks like he'd be Mike Babcock's younger brother.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I’ve been consuming a bunch of interviews with these candidates. Podcasts and YouTube.

In terms of effective self-expression, sharing interesting and educational insights and conveying a true passion and motivational quality; Rocky Thompson is miles ahead of the rest I’ve been checking out. It’s not close. He’s head and shoulders above. If I could hire him to be my boss, I’d do it in a second. He’s a guy I want to work for.

Him and Quinn give off the most “big-league” vibes. They have the most “it” factor for commanding presence. I’d say Knoblauch has a bit of this too. More than many of the rest.

Nate Leaman is hilariously similar to Don Maloney. He looks and sounds like him. Smart but kinda goofy. He’s disarming. Kind of opposite of Quinn in this way. Quinn you cant take your eyes off of. Leaman you want to put your arm around.

Lane Lambert is a Rick Tocchet clone. Same marble mouth meat head routine. Don’t find him impressive in any way. He’s my least favorite.

Spencer Carbery is surprisingly captivating. So, so young, though. I think he looks like a great coaching prospect. But I he’s just too young for me. I think he needs more experience and seasoning.

Larsen and Woodcroft say the right things. Both had some good insights. But both are snoozers for me. They’re okay. Van Ryn and Laxdal are kind of in this category but a bit better. Van Ryn especially. Nelson is a bit more like a cross between Leaman and Thompson, in that he seems motivating but also a bit goofy.

If I had to base the hiring just off of what I can find on the internet, Rocky Thompson would be my guy for sure.

Luckily Bill Armstrong has more than Google at his disposal. LOL.
I think Thompson is my favorite thus far too, though it sounds like you're much deeper into the research than I am. He's well spoken and I think he would help our team have clear roles/responsibilities and would be great for personal development in our players. I do feel like we'd want a more veteran assistant along side him that can help him navigate some of the challenges of being a head coach (not that he's unaware I'm sure).

Anyway, if you were in charge and this was your hire, I'd be praising you.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's funny you mention Leaman/Maloney because when I look at Leaman he looks like he'd be Mike Babcock's younger brother.
Has to be video. Cant be photos. In video the way his head bobs and stuff. He looks more like Maloneys brother than Maloneys actual brother does. lol.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just listened to that coach podcast episode with Rocky Thompson. Not bad. I wouldn't say I was blown away but it's nice to hear a coach string together a coherent sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad