Speculation: Head Coach Hunt 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Guess we should just stop signing/trading for bottom sixers because it’s dumpster diving.
Bottom sixers? More like AHL's. If they get a two way contract I would be fine with that.

You keep expressing this opinion and it's utterly without logic. You just don't make any sense. Jaskin isn't a Keller replacement. He's a Fischer replacement. That should be obvious.
These players BA is signing have either never played in the NHL, or played and left because no team wanted them, and are dirt cheap. Is Jaskin any better than Fischer? Can these guys be exposed in the expansions draft?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Bottom sixers? More like AHL's. If they get a two way contract I would be fine with that.

These players BA is signing have either never played in the NHL, or played and left because no team wanted them, and are dirt cheap. Is Jaskin any better than Fischer? Can these guys be exposed in the expansions draft?
:facepalm:

rt

May 13, 2004
Says the poster that wants to trade OEL for Lucic. Now, that is a real :facepalm:
I’d prefer to trade OEL for a 7th round pick, rather than for Lucic. But I don’t think we could get a 7th round pick for OEL. We’re going to have to take a substantially overpaid player back. It might as well be one that isn’t useless and brings an element we’re missing. I’d rather it be Milan Lucic than Loui Eriksson. I’d rather it be Lucic than Brett Connolly. Either way, we’re going to have to eat a disaster contract.

One thing that intrigues me is the idea that OEL might be willing to waive his NMC for expansion. I would love it if Seattle claimed him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't anticipate OEL's list being much more expansive than last year if at all. Maybe add Calgary because of Markstrom and maybe even more so if Maloney takes over. Edmonton tried on OEL last summer. Maybe they're of interest now that they've shown they're not total shit. Tippett likely gets an extension in the next couple weeks as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d prefer to trade OEL for a 7th round pick, rather than for Lucic. But I don’t think we could get a 7th round pick for OEL. We’re going to have to take a substantially overpaid player back. It might as well be one that isn’t useless and brings an element we’re missing. I’d rather it be Milan Lucic than Loui Eriksson. I’d rather it be Lucic than Brett Connolly. Either way, we’re going to have to eat a disaster contract.

One thing that intrigues me is the idea that OEL might be willing to waive his NMC for expansion. I would love it if Seattle claimed him.
If BA trades OEL for Lucic or a 7th round pick he should be fired immediately, but BA is a little smarter than that.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

To quote our commander in chief "come on man" :laugh:
You're being ridiculous here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
These players BA is signing have either never played in the NHL, or played and left because no team wanted them, and a
re dirt cheap. Is Jaskin any better than Fischer? Can these guys be exposed in the expansions draft?
I think the idea is to bring in players with a different perspective/point of view. A player like Jaskin may have learned something in the K, away from the NHL and could contribute do to that. Who's to say what Fisher may become after a sting in the KHL?
Not saying I'm thrilled with the idea, but as you always point out.... these guys have more access to what is going on than we do.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If BA trades OEL for Lucic or a 7th round pick he should be fired immediately, but BA is a little smarter than that.
Exactly. We have 2 top 4D in OEL/Chych. We desperately need 2 more, not one less. We need to add top 4D not subtract. OEL is still our best defensive D. Our GAA went way up this year partly because we got rid of Stepan/Richardson, 2 solid D players. I am not saying we should have kept them, just stating the repercussions. D is a bigger problem (if we want to win than our crappy offence is).

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017

It is possible for a player to develop. He left the NHL and was able to get a significant bump in ice time overseas.

Neither you nor I know exactly how much he has improved when it comes to competing in the NHL. Its your choice to have a pessimistic outlook on every move, but I'll keep an open mind. This team does not have the luxury of draft picks, these are the types of creative moves you need to make...you need to gamble a bit and hope these types of moves result in a "diamond in the rough" discovery.

Kaprizov last 2 seasons in the KHL:
57 games / 30 goals / 21 assists / 51 points
57 games / 33 goals / 29 assists / 62 points

Jaskin's last 2 seasons in the KHL:
58 games / 31 goals / 32 assists / 63 points
59 games / 38 goals / 22 assists / 60 points

For the record.... my expectations for Jaskin are not Kaprizov... but I would much rather a Jaskin than a Brassard, Fischer, Hunt, Hayden, Osterle in forward form....worth the gamble.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Jaskin is four years older than Kaprizov too. But like you said, that’s not the point.

Jaskin was a good defensive forward who thrived in checking roles during his first stint in the NHL. Big, heavy, reliable winger in the D zone. Cycle buster who could chip it out. If he never improved at all, he’d be a fine 4RW and someone I’d rather have on the team than Fischer.

But something interesting happened while he was gone. He became the best goal scorer in the second best league in the world. If you can’t be at least a little intrigued by that, you need to call a doctor and start taking some pills.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It is possible for a player to develop. He left the NHL and was able to get a significant bump in ice time overseas.

Neither you nor I know exactly how much he has improved when it comes to competing in the NHL. Its your choice to have a pessimistic outlook on every move, but I'll keep an open mind. This team does not have the luxury of draft picks, these are the types of creative moves you need to make...you need to gamble a bit and hope these types of moves result in a "diamond in the rough" discovery.

Kaprizov last 2 seasons in the KHL:
57 games / 30 goals / 21 assists / 51 points
57 games / 33 goals / 29 assists / 62 points

Jaskin's last 2 seasons in the KHL:
58 games / 31 goals / 32 assists / 63 points
59 games / 38 goals / 22 assists / 60 points

For the record.... my expectations for Jaskin are not Kaprizov... but I would much rather a Jaskin than a Brassard, Fischer, Hunt, Hayden, Osterle in forward form....worth the gamble.
I would love a "diamond in the rough". Don't hold your breath with these signings. Looks like Jaskin was a pretty good player at every level except the NHL.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I would love a "diamond in the rough". Don't hold your breath with these signings. Looks like Jaskin was a pretty good player at every level except the NHL.
I view it as....worst case scenario, Jaskin's floor is basically what all of the players I listed in my previous post were.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
I view it as....worst case scenario, Jaskin's floor is basically what all of the players I listed in my previous post were.
Tyler Pitlick was on per 82gp pace for 13g 11a 24pts. While playing hard and being good in all zones. I'd say there's a better chance that Jaskin can be another Pitlick than there is that he's just another Fischer. That should be the expectation, I think. Can this dude be more like Pitlick and less like Fischer? If the answer is yes, then it's a great move and we should all be happy.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tyler Pitlick was on per 82gp pace for 13g 11a 24pts. While playing hard and being good in all zones. I'd say there's a better chance that Jaskin can be another Pitlick than there is that he's just another Fischer. That should be the expectation, I think. Can this dude be more like Pitlick and less like Fischer? If the answer is yes, then it's a great move and we should all be happy.
I agree, but it's a BIG if.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Fischer is fine for $1m player. The problem with Tocchet is that the bottom six stopped producing across the board and generated no offensive zone time. A goal off the cycle was an extremely rare thing, even by average NHL standards.

Crouse-Larsson-Fischer always looked great together but Tocchet refused to use them consistently even though it's the most obvious line ever.

A coaching change will probably make the team less top heavy and more normal. Structure and having a plan other than 'i dunno generate turnovers you guys' will do wonders for a lot of players.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They are looking under every rock possible to make up for lost draft picks. If they sign a guy or three from Europe/Russia, grab a couple non-tendered youngish FAs and make a trade for a change-of-scenery candidate or two, maybe they find that diamond in the rough. A bunch of low risk moves that cost you next to nothing is a good strategy. If none of these guys work out, are you any worse off than you are today? With the comments we heard from Armstrong in multiple interviews, he believes in building from the draft. He got f***ed on picks his first two drafts so he's doing everything he can to find talent. I like the direction he's headed so far and he dove right in after the last game. He seems to have a solid plan and is going to work his ass off to make it successful. Can't wait to see what he does next.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Fischer is fine for $1m player. The problem with Tocchet is that the bottom six stopped producing across the board and generated no offensive zone time. A goal off the cycle was an extremely rare thing, even by average NHL standards.

Crouse-Larsson-Fischer always looked great together but Tocchet refused to use them consistently even though it's the most obvious line ever.

A coaching change will probably make the team less top heavy and more normal. Structure and having a plan other than 'i dunno generate turnovers you guys' will do wonders for a lot of players.
I don’t have fancy stats to back me up but I have to guess that no team did less with established possession. I have to guess a higher % of all chances were off the rush than any other team. Even though I bet total rush count and rush conversion % was low also. Haha.

Dart in, do nothing, lose possession. The Tocchet method in three simple steps.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'd concur in that I believe the Coyotes would be bottom 3 in "rebound goals", "cycle goals", anything actually pertaining to offensive chances. Funny thing, I bet we were bottom 10 in turnovers created as well, because we were so passive all the time.

I want pressure, up temp aggressive play, please, please, please

Reactions: rt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad