Speculation: Head Coach Hunt 2021 (Press Conference Thursday 7/1 @ 11am))

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Well this thread has careened off the tracks. I'll add to the thread abuse by proposing that the most mispronounced word in the English language is forte. If you don't pronounce it the same as fort when describing a person's strength, you're wrong. When using the word in music, then it's for-tay.

Last edited:

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Back coaching - this looks like a good hire. Hope it comes together by the weekend.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Southern France challenges your pronunciation of Tourigny's name. Then again, English has some examples of that. In most American pronunciation, words like "military" and "lavatory" (not that Americans use that word anymore) are four syllables. In UK English, they're three: "milit'ry" and "lavat'ry." Then there's "conservatory" which is the full four syllables in American but "conservat'ry" in the UK as another example.

In the south of France, "Tourigny" is a name with three syllables. In the north of France (particularly Paris) and most of Canada, it's two.

... I think it's bedtime after this post.

Sacre bleu!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Well this thread has careened off the tracks. I'll add to the thread abuse by proposing that the most mispronounced word in the English language is forte. If you don't pronounce it the same as fort when describing a person's strength, you're wrong. When using the word in music, then it's for-tay.

Unless it's Bill Armstrong trying to say "hybrid".

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Craig says this could happen as soon as this week.

Nelson's third interview didn't even happen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Resemble. The little French I understand has more to do with studying Latin and word origins than anything I learned in school (up to grade 9). As an ESL teacher I came to understand how bad our French language program was. I do resent how poor the education was.
I would bet that most Canadians that don't speak French fluently still know how to speak French swear words fluently.;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is exciting though. By far our most exciting and most qualified hiring since Tippett in 2009.

Also a real coup by Armstrong to get this done and sell whatever he is selling to make the Coyotes appealing, especially considering Tourigny's situation (I am sure Doan and Tourigny established a pretty good relationship at the Worlds as well).

Hopefully Army can use the same approach to recruit in free agency. Come to Arizona for the program and its vision. Not to chill in Scottsdale and oh ya you play hockey too.
A real coup? Hiring a Gallant or a JT, or a Trotz would be a coup, not this.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Why bother to pronounce Tourigny's surname correctly when we're all going to be forced to call him "The Bear"?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Now that this is seemingly coming to an end, a couple thoughts:

- Out of all of the candidates the summer, I wanted Gallant. Coaches like him don’t come around very often. That being said, we probably wouldn’t have beaten the Rangers out, even if we did pay him more money. The Rangers were probably the most desirable destination. On top of that, it looks like we are going into another rebuild under a new regime. The Rangers are a lot closer to winning than we are. Chances are slim that Gallant would’ve been looking for a rebuild situation.

- On the flipside, Tourigny seems like the perfect candidate for our role when you think about the goal. His main focus is going to be development of youth, and that’s what he succeeds at currently. He will likely have more patience than the other candidates would’ve when it comes to being a “cellar dweller” in the league.

- If there’s ever a couple years to get a coach acclimated to the major leagues, it’s these next couple. The upcoming drafts are deep, and stacked with high-end talent in the early rounds. Might not be the worst thing to see a couple development years with the expected growing pains.

- I wonder what the deal is with Nelson. He seems to be interviewed in some capacity every year. He has an impressive winning history, but yet can’t secure a head coach role. Makes me wonder if it’s always just the wrong fit/wrong time, or if teams look at the one season that he had coaching the Edmonton Oilers and are spooked by that. Pre-McDavid Oilers we’re plain awful, shouldn’t fall on him.

- I would hope that there’s some serious emphasis on power-play structure when it comes to rounding out the coaching staff. It seems the last couple coaches we’ve had have brought in their longtime friends and have tried to fit a square peg into a round hole.

- I wonder if a goalie coach is looked at by the new staff. We have a couple young, interesting prospects in the position, I would hope there’s some serious intention to develop them.

- I would say Kessel is 100% ready to put the Coyotes behind him (if this hire comes to fruition.)

- I’m really curious to see how Keller plays under Tourigny

- Although we want Phil Housley gone, I can’t help but to make the connection that Jakob Chychrun had his best year under him. In fact, when Housley was hired, he stated that Chychrun was going to be a huge priority for him. I would hope there’s no turning back for Chychrun at this point (seeing as Housley is most likely not returning) but it does make you think.

Reactions: Grimes and PuckLife

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
- I would say Kessel is 100% ready to put the Coyotes behind him (if this hire comes to fruition.)

Pardon me asking, but what does that mean.

Does that mean he will want to move? Or that he wants to give everything next season?

Also why don't we get Nelson as an Assistant-Coach? Might be a good fit.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pardon me asking, but what does that mean.

Does that mean he will want to move? Or that he wants to give everything next season?

Also why don't we get Nelson as an Assistant-Coach? Might be a good fit.
Dallas is unlikely to allow him to leave his post as Assistant to go to a division rival in a purely literal position. Also, not sure why he’d want to.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Now that this is seemingly coming to an end, a couple thoughts:

- Out of all of the candidates the summer, I wanted Gallant. Coaches like him don’t come around very often. That being said, we probably wouldn’t have beaten the Rangers out, even if we did pay him more money. The Rangers were probably the most desirable destination. On top of that, it looks like we are going into another rebuild under a new regime. The Rangers are a lot closer to winning than we are. Chances are slim that Gallant would’ve been looking for a rebuild situation.

- On the flipside, Tourigny seems like the perfect candidate for our role when you think about the goal. His main focus is going to be development of youth, and that’s what he succeeds at currently. He will likely have more patience than the other candidates would’ve when it comes to being a “cellar dweller” in the league.

- If there’s ever a couple years to get a coach acclimated to the major leagues, it’s these next couple. The upcoming drafts are deep, and stacked with high-end talent in the early rounds. Might not be the worst thing to see a couple development years with the expected growing pains.

- I wonder what the deal is with Nelson. He seems to be interviewed in some capacity every year. He has an impressive winning history, but yet can’t secure a head coach role. Makes me wonder if it’s always just the wrong fit/wrong time, or if teams look at the one season that he had coaching the Edmonton Oilers and are spooked by that. Pre-McDavid Oilers we’re plain awful, shouldn’t fall on him.

- I would hope that there’s some serious emphasis on power-play structure when it comes to rounding out the coaching staff. It seems the last couple coaches we’ve had have brought in their longtime friends and have tried to fit a square peg into a round hole.

- I wonder if a goalie coach is looked at by the new staff. We have a couple young, interesting prospects in the position, I would hope there’s some serious intention to develop them.

- I’m really curious to see how Keller plays under Tourigny

- Although we want Phil Housley gone, I can’t help but to make the connection that Jakob Chychrun had his best year under him. In fact, when Housley was hired, he stated that Chychrun was going to be a huge priority for him. I would hope there’s no turning back for Chychrun at this point (seeing as Housley is most likely not returning) but it does make you think.
It’s a good point about Housley and Chychrun. Plus, Housley has ton of NHL experience. Tourigny and Groulx (gosh I hope this happens) don’t. If the Coyotes don’t want to pay him not to coach, then maybe he sticks.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you're going to really like Tourigny. I hope we get a real press conference so he can make an impression.
Talk is cheap. BS baffles brains. Winning is all that matters. No more excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad