Speculation: Head Coach Hunt 2021 (Press Conference Thursday 7/1 @ 11am))

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
tenor.gif

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman:

4. Nothing definite, but Arizona’s done a very deep dive on OHL Ottawa’s Andre Tourigny.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
With the very early rumors that we were looking for at younger coaches, I feel like BA had Tourigny and MVR penciled in as considerations early into the process. Since then I feel Tourigny has really surprised BA and has flown up the list

I feel Nelson all but had the job locked up until this has happened until BA got more acquainted with Tourigny. I feel like BA offered MVR an assistant role when he was becoming more set on Nelson.

I feel like Tourigny is why this has slowed down to a sluggish pace rather than Lambert because BA was close to closing with Nelson and is now getting cold feel.

I feel like asking both Nelson and Tourigny about who they would like as assistants has also slowed the process so BA can see if those guys would be interested so he can put together the best unit he can.

I feel like Grouxl is all but out of the running now and that BA still intends to interview Lambert but at this point he is far behind Nelson and Tourigny.

All gut feelings.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also from 31 Thoughts (I hope this isn’t us but it’s probably us):

28. I heard on the weekend that there’s a team that offered to extend its amateur scouts — whose contracts expire at the end of this month — a 30-day extension through the draft. That’s rough.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

28. I heard on the weekend that there’s a team that offered to extend its amateur scouts — whose contracts expire at the end of this month — a 30-day extension through the draft. That’s rough.

Oh, that's 1000% us. No question in my mind.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think we're even gonna call Lambert.

Interesting process for Tourigny too. Remember, he's not coaching the 67's next season. He's doing a bunch of stuff with Hockey Canada, like pro scouting who will play on the Olympic team. And then serving as an assistant there in addition to head coach at the World Juniors and the World Championship.

He'd have to walk away from all of that except the Olympics to join the Coyotes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Interesting process for Tourigny too. Remember, he's not coaching the 67's next season. He's doing a bunch of stuff with Hockey Canada, like pro scouting who will play on the Olympic team. And then serving as an assistant there in addition to head coach at the World Juniors and the World Championship.

He'd have to walk away from all of that except the Olympics to join the Coyotes.
All for one of the least desirable NHL HC jobs…

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I have one bit of hope; if it was us, Friedman wouldn’t have hesitated to call us out for it and name names.

Well, I don't think Friedge would, but I'm sure Katie Strang would have launched an Athletic tell-all about it.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I have one bit of hope; if it was us, Friedman wouldn’t have hesitated to call us out for it and name names.

Perhaps he felt he didn't have to? :naughty:

Just curious. What does the amateur scouts typically make, is it considered full-time work? I'm not gonna apply or something, relax, I am in no way qualified. But I'm sometimes very curious.

Edit, according to comparably.com they make 38k. Well, I guess some per diem if they are out travelling adds to this then. Huh.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Who would that be? I thought BA hired all new scouts?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It would feel good knowing that he gave all of that up for us and that he would obviously value this opportunity tremendously.
So what if he is giving up flipping hamburgers for a chance to be a head chef at a five star resort.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Not sold on Tourigny. No head coach experience with men.
Hard working, discipline, creating turnovers?.. Sounds like Dave Tippett league.

Not sold on any candidate btw, but Nelson resume is most relevant for me.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It would feel good knowing that he gave all of that up for us and that he would obviously value this opportunity tremendously.

I wonder if the World Championship gave him back the coaching "bug" after the OHL not playing this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Then why hasn't BA selected a coach? Success breeds success. Standing besides one of the best coaches the last several years give Lambert more knowledge and experience than the rest of who we have interviewed. Who knows if that translates into a good HC, but the chances are just as good or better than the others. My opinion of course. I have a feeling that no one has really blown BA away in the interviews.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Either you have no idea what Tourigny is doing these days or you have no idea how analogies work. Given your post history, I’m guessing both! ;)

…just razzin’
I couldn't think of a better one. Have to agree it's pretty crappy.:laugh:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Then why hasn't BA selected a coach? Success breeds success. Standing besides one of the best coaches the last several years give Lambert more knowledge and experience than the rest of who we have interviewed. Who knows if that translates into a good HC, but the chances are just as good or better than the others. My opinion of course. I have a feeling that no one has really blown BA away in the interviews.

I'm uneasy about it. Tocchet stood beside a very good coach for a couple of years and he can barely string together a coherent sentence.

Reactions: rt

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Playing Devils advocate...

Tournigy hasn't always been successful. His 384-357-20-66 record in the Q doesn't stand out as being that great. 452 win percentage.

Although I have zero knowledge on who was on Rouyn Noranda 15 years ago but he was the GM so that does fall on him as well. Don't know what the Halifax team was like in 2016...

Resigned from the Avs as an assistant to become a HC. Didn't happen, then was signed and fired after 1 season as an assistant with the Sens.

He's had a great 2 year run with the 67s that's been followed up with cushy Team Canada jobs.

Seems like more of a gamble compared to Nelson who has an extensive resume working with pro's.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and slv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad