HCanes "Bunch of Jerks" T-Shirts

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
no it makes it look stupid. no league does this garbage.. imagine tom brady playing duck duck goose after a game
You must only watch the NHL then. Which is fine; there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of leagues in plenty of sports do "garbage" like "this" though. Soccer and football in particular. Hell, remember when the Rangers were the only team to salute fans after home games? Now it's the norm around the league and has reached the point where there was a massive controversy in Toronto because the Leafs didn't acknowledge the crowd after a single game.

If a salute can become infectious in North American hockey circles I don't see why stuff like this can't either.

EDIT: Or was the salute acceptable because it was the Rangers who "came up with it"? I just want to cover all the bases and make sure.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Saluting the fans wasn't a thing until the Rangers started it. Then other teams saw the positive effect it had and followed suit. Just because it's not being done doesn't mean it's not worth looking into.
Theres a drastic difference between raising your stick to say 'thanks' and having your entire team playing duck duck goose

No one will follow in Carolina's footsteps outside of maybe on Kids night

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I can understand that some think it is stupid--totally disagree, but stupid is subjective. Selfish has some objectivity. Since the celebrations are 1)about the fans, and 2) involve the entire team, Webster's would not use them as an example of selfish.

Sorry...I wasn’t clear. I don’t think the canes celebrations are selfish. I just meant that I’m afraid that encouraging this kind of behaviour may open the door for more and more gimmicky stuff. That could make selfish stuff ok as long as it entertains.

(Like dunking on guys in basketball and standing over them like they’ve destroyed them or scoring a td and pulling sharpies out of nowhere)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sorry...I wasn’t clear. I don’t think the canes celebrations are selfish. I just meant that I’m afraid that encouraging th
is kind of behaviour may open the door for more and more gimmicky stuff. That could make selfish stuff ok as long as it entertains.

(Like dunking on guys in basketball and standing over them like they’ve destroyed them or scoring a td and pulling sharpies out of nowhere)

I hope Carolina sets a precedent.

They need to start doing some creative goal celebrations.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Well, other than Elias Lindholm's little hissy fit (which likely was because he ws booed for no reason by Carolina fans), I haven't seen any negative reaction from other teams towards the Canes over this. If they didn't like it- I think you'd see retribution on the ice against them, which you don't see.

I predict we'll see another team break out with something similar (probably Vegas or the like) and then it'll be game on and Cherry will swallow his own tongue like Hannibal Lecter's neighbor did.

I mean for christsakes, we have baseball players flipping their bats and showing up pitchers to their face, we have football players pantomiming wiping their asses with the football or a host of other weird crap after scoring, once again IN THE FACE of the other team, yet people think that having some fun after the game when the other team is off the ice is bad.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
just a few steps away from a WWE NHL...sell it to Vince ...lol

XHL

NFL and NBA does way more whacky stuff.

This is nothing.

NFL had guys playing hide and seek after a TD.

Their ratings and league interest were the highest last season.

The NBA keeps growing and growing due to the game OFF court.

NHL needs to adapt and become way more interesting or they'll be left in the dust.

Carolina and Gritty is a good start.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I said it in the other thread, this (the bad press about the celebrations) is exactly what Tom Dundon wants. Nobody has talked about Carolina in February in probably 10 years. The fans like it, the team is having fun, the attendance is rising, and the press is talking about it.
That's just it. They do it to bring attention to the team and it's working. That's all this is. A publicity stunt. Cherry continually bringing this up will only keep it going.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
É
NFL and NBA does way more whacky stuff.

This is nothing.

NFL had guys playing hide and seek after a TD.

Their ratings and league interest were the highest last season.

The NBA keeps growing and growing due to the game OFF court.

NHL needs to adapt and become way more interesting or they'll be left in the dust.

Carolina and Gritty is a good start.

why does NHL need to adopt NFL celebrations....

Why stop there..let the players wear face paint...and masks to make them their own brand...

Lets turn it into Disney on Ice...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That's just it. They do it to bring attention to the team and it's working. That's all this is. A publicity stunt. Cherry continually bringing this up will only keep it going.

some team will take exception in playoffs after a hard battle ..emotions run high...there will be a big brawl......NHL will step in ...

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
So the visiting team is going to go to the locker room, then come back out 2-3 minutes after the game is over, see the celebration, and go back out on the ice and start a brawl?

Seems unlikely.

Heck let’s say the opposing team starts a brawl the next game. Carolina starts the game with a bunch of PPs opposing team loses for not being discipline celebration happens again rinse repeat.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Theres a drastic difference between raising your stick to say 'thanks' and having your entire team playing duck duck goose

No one will follow in Carolina's footsteps outside of maybe on Kids night

I don’t know enough about the various markets around the league to make such a claim, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see other teams attempt personalized celebrations. Obviously, it’s not for all markets. For instance, from what I understand, much of the Montreal and Toronto crowd are composed of “suits”, so attempting that there might not go over as well. But Nashville, Vegas, San Jose, Colorado, Florida? I could see that working out.

I think starting next year, the Canes won’t stop the Storm Surge, but may limit it to 1-3 celebrations and rotate between them. Personally, I’m a big fan of the original, simply because it worked thematically. The players crashing against the boards like that mimicked waves crashing against a surface (hence the name Storm Surge).

I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see personalized salutes become a thing.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad