HC Slovan Bratislava

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Which is funny, because in his youth, he along with others "escaped" Slovan's youth hockey system, in a "rebel move". But of course now that Slovan itself has, in a sense, been "taken over by the rebels", Fehérváry may see things differently.

If Slovan was playing in the KHL in this upcoming season, there is zero doubt to me that Fehérváry would sign with them. EBEL/ICE would not even be an option.

Let's hope for Slovan's speedy return to the KHL, as soon as 2021/22, so that these questions do not even arise in future.

Reactions: vorky

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
If Slovan was playing in the KHL in this upcoming season, there is zero doubt to me that Fehérváry would sign with them. EBEL/ICE would not even be an option.

No doubt. Stanley Cup playoffs to ICE Hockey League is not a transfer you'd expect to see.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
... and transferring to Slovakia's "rural" league even less so. To me, EBEL/ICE Hockey League is more prestigious than the Slovak league. (The budgets of EBEL-participating teams speak a clear language, for one thing.)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
... and transferring to Slovakia's "rural" league even less so. To me, EBEL/ICE Hockey League is more prestigious than the Slovak league. (The budgets of EBEL-participating teams speak a clear language, for one thing.)

As far as players from other countries (Sweden, Finland, Canada etc) concerned, you're probably right. But if there was no Slovak club in the EBEL/ICE Hockey League now, then I doubt a prominent Slovak player like Fehérváry would consider signing with Vienna Capitals or Graz 99ers over Slovan Bratislava in the Extraliga. The money in the ICE HL might be better, but an average Slovak top-tier club will always need less money than an average Austrian top-tier club to reach the same level because there are so much more decent homegrown players available to them. Just like Znojmo was usually doing fine in the EBEL with their rosters of mostly second-tier Czech players. Most Austrian clubs on their part have to dress 10-12 Canadians, Swedes etc each game in order to compete.

Reactions: Faterson and geri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad