HC Slovan Bratislava

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Faterson you just bring it to the point, i see it same as you.
I just see Slovan result from the Facebook posts, that’s it, not interesting anymore. Looks crowd see it also that- wow 3,600 people at 1. home match with Price of 6€ ? starting/
I really hope for a soon KHL Team there again just need a normal owner and management

I don't see KHL coming here or anywhere else in Europe anytime soon again. It's just not sustainable from financial perspective, nor worth it from a marketing investment perspective.

Reactions: KTl

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Great news! Slovan is being purchased by a new owner:

Široký predáva Slovan spolumajiteľovi Esetu Rudolfovi Hrubému

He's the co-founder and co-owner of the reputable Slovak anti-virus company ESET (Nod32). According to Forbes, he's the seventh wealthiest Slovak, worth around €630 million. And he's earned them, unlike many oligarchs in post-Communist Europe.

Slovan is still not paying their players on time, or the city for the use of the arena, despite their return to Slovak league. (I haven't followed Slovan there at all; I couldn't care less about the Slovak league.)

The new owner will reportedly be purchasing Slovan along with all its debts, and hopefully, all debts will promptly be settled and everything will be run more responsibly from now on.

I hope Slovan will return to the KHL. (Until there's a European division of the NHL!) :thumbu:

Slovan in the KHL, Bratislava Capitals in EBEL, and Slovan "B" as Slovan's farm team in the Slovak league – that would be the optimal scenario from 2020/21. (Although unlikely, given the current havoc in the world.)

Last edited:
Reactions: geri

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I share your hope, but this following needs to be said.

The KHL salary floor will be at ₽450 mil without bonuses by 2023-24, plus at least 5% for bonuses, so ₽495 mil. It is around €6-7 mil for salaries. It is much more than the usual lower team club in Europe. Plus around €5-10 mil for other costs.

Perhaps, it would not be a problem though.

Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk, Severstal & Neftekhimik will face this challenge soon.

The KHL Board of Directs may exclude a team from the league in case of missing the salary floor during three seasons in a row.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Yes, the criteria need to be stricter than before. Both from the side of the KHL, and on Slovan's side. If a team can't afford the KHL, they shouldn't play there. I hope Slovan will be able to afford it, on a solid level, even if not in the immediately upcoming season.

If Slovan could simply compete for a play-off spot in the KHL every season, I'd be OK with that. Once you get into the play-offs, you can surprise and advance further than might be expected. (Like Riga did some time ago.)

By the way, the football Slovan likewise wants to escape from Slovak league. It just makes no sense for clubs with European ambitions to play in Slovakia-only leagues. They should be second-tier/developmental leagues, just like they used to be in the decades of Czechoslovakia, and then they'll be fine.

Finally, it's a bit comical trying to convert Russian roubles into euros right now, calculating what the conversion rate might be in 4 years from now. No one really knows what the world economy will bring in the next few months, let alone years.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yes, with their reputation it would be very difficult for Slovan to come back. Do we know something about Hrubý? Has he the business times in Russia? Of course, ESET is pro-America oriented company. But we know that the world has been changing.

I believe you mean by "the immediately upcoming season" the 2021-22 season. It is too late for 2020-21. And the KHL would need more time for talks. The joining the KHL is a long process. Especially now when the KHL has more strict rules on newcomers.

I agree with your words on football. It was a mistake to dissolve the Czech-Slovak leagues in any sport.

Agree with the rouble into euro convert. But if I used just rouble, some posters may complain.

Reactions: Faterson

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Maybe there is an idea to create some multi-national league, with roots in Slovak League. We have there already Hungarian team(s). from Poland is strong interest, Znojmo will be looking after one year for right Competition and maybe there could be something done also in Austria. Or even in Ukraine.

Reactions: degustator

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
That would be just as bad, @alko (if not even worse), as Slovakia-only league. Even EBEL is too low an aim for Slovan. Competing with Hungarian and Polish teams is basically an insult for a hockey team like Slovan and a hockey country like Slovakia.

Nope, it's got to be the KHL, the Czechs or – perhaps one fine day – a European division of the NHL. :naughty:

Last edited:

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Slovan in the KHL, Bratislava Capitals in EBEL, and Slovan "B" as Slovan's farm team in the Slovak league – that would be the optimal scenario from 2020/21. (Although unlikely, given the current havoc in the world.)

According to the rules, the farm cannot play Tipsport League. Only if Slovan "b'"played lower division (SHL - 1. slovenska liga), but that wouldn't make sense because the league is semi-amateur and it won't get better after the corona virus crisis.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Obviously, rules need to be changed. You can't forever hold on to 20th century rules in the new century and millenium.

Just like the thick heads from UEFA have been saying that football leagues across various countries are verboten, but now they may have to change that rule, which would allow the football Slovan to escape the Slovak league, too. And again, Slovan's football B team could play in the Slovak league.

It's a new situation, a new century, and rules must be adapted to the new situation. Not vice versa! :rolleyes:

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Maybe you are right. But other Slovak clubs would not agree with that Slovan 'B'. Instead of Slovan 'B', they would take a Polish / Hungarian team or a team from a lower league which would have the financial to do so (Martin, Skalica, Zilina...). That's a fact. However, Slovan playing in the KHL could cooperate with another club on hosting / exchanging players as in the past with HC 05 Banska Bystrica or Dukla Trencin or another club that would be interested.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
other Slovak clubs would not agree with that Slovan 'B'. Instead of Slovan 'B', they would take a Polish / Hungarian team or a team from a lower league which would have the financial to do so (Martin, Skalica, Zilina...). That's a fact.

Not really! Just your prediction/estimation. :P

However, Slovan playing in the KHL could cooperate with another club on hosting / exchanging players as in the past with HC 05 Banska Bystrica or Dukla Trencin or another club that would be interested.

Of course they could, but perhaps it would make more sense if both clubs were from the same city – especially so that the Slovak league has a club in the capital of Slovakia! Slovak league matches should definitely also be played in Bratislava – just not by Slovan, I think.

Toronto Maple Leafs have Toronto Marlies as their farm team. It's not necessary (and can be disadvantageous) for the farm team of a team playing in a multi-national league to be from a different city.

Reactions: hellwar9

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
For now is certain that Bratislava will play Tipsport league next season. About KHL can start thinking before the season 21/22. I agree that the capital should have a team in the home league. However, I do not know if the third club could financially manage the league at the highest level next to Slovan (KHL) and Capitals (EBEL/BAHEL). But if the rules change, which is also certain is that 'B' team of slovan /slovan farm would be composed of younger players (U23 or U25?) and juniors and that wouldn't be very attractive to me and most of the fans. This team of younger players would be at the bottom of the table and would not attract people to the stadium at all despite the fact that Slovan is the largest hockey brand and sold out stadiums in every Slovak city. In Slovakia we want a balanced and attractive league. And that is why a strong and high-quality Polish or Hungarian team would be more interesting for the league than a Slovan 'B' team. But, my personal dream is that the Slovan would stay in the home league and our league would reach a similar level as the Czech extraliga within 10 years. In our hockey we started working and the results will gradually show over the years.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
which is also certain is that 'B' team of slovan /slovan farm would be composed of younger players (U23 or U25?) and juniors

Again, it's not "certain" at all – it's just your theory which I'm certain is off-base.

Look at NHL farm teams – none of them are U23, U25 or juniors. Every team needs some veterans. Slovan B would be Slovan B – with quality players trying to move up to the A team. If a player (young or old!) was underperforming on Slovan's A team, they would get sent down to the B team (and vice versa). That's how it works in the NHL, and it's a good, motivating system for everyone.

Remember how Šatan got sent down to the farm team in the season when he won the Stanley Cup, and Halák only a couple of years ago? And he's this season's winner of the Jennings Trophy.

So I'm sure Slovan B would be attractive enough for Slovak league. It would feature excellent players, every one of them trying to move up to the A team in order to play in the KHL/an international league.

my personal dream is that the Slovan would stay in the home league and our league would reach a similar level as the Czech extraliga within 10 years.

Nice dream, but it's complete utopia and a pipe-dream, sorry. I think it's likelier for Slovan to join a future European division of the NHL than the Slovak league being able to compete with the Czech league. Never gonna happen in a million years! If only because of numbers – a country of 10 million people versus a country of 5 million people. Swedish league will always be better than the Finnish league for the same reason.

(You can thank Mečiar and crazy nationalists of the early 1990s for our inability to compete with Czech leagues. Regardless of whether the country of Czechoslovakia "had to" be split or not, joint Czecho-Slovak sports leagues – unlike the national teams! – should never have been separated. Now, 3 decades later, it's too late to cry over spilled milk.)

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Nice dream, but it's complete utopia and a pipe-dream, sorry.

Why utopia? Lets look to Finland. They have about the same numbers living people in the country as Slovakia. Im not going to say, we will have a league right on their level. But if they could create a such respected league, why not also in Slovakia, hockey-country? Why couldn't be there another at least very good league? It is all about money.

If the sponsors push more money into their teams, they could sign better players
If they have better players, they have more people in the stadiums.
If they have more people in games, sponsors will spend more money.
If there is more people interested, TV rights could be sell for more money.
If there is more money, they could use it to better development.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Nice dream, but it's complete utopia and a pipe-dream, sorry. I think it's likelier for Slovan to join a future European division of the NHL than the Slovak league being able to compete with the Czech league. Never gonna happen in a million years!

It is more real than unreal. Just more money. Improve marketing and increase the player base in Slovakia. Today there are about 10,000 players in Slovak together with juniors and that is not enough. And that is why about 10 years would be enough for a new generation to grow up. In 2011 our league was on its knees instead of progress it was degress and every year the level decreased. Slovan went to KHL because our league was not interesting for them. In 2011 - 2015 our league stagnated. Then Richard Lintner came as league leader and from 2015 to 2020, our league was up a lot in terms of quality and marketing. Of course, the crisis of the corona slowed down the process slightly, but I think the league will continue to go up in terms of quality. Of course, I agree that our league will never be the best in Europe, but potential to reach a similar level as the Czech extraleague is there and it is big. And I'm sure that if there is a quality home league, the national team will also benefit from it. For me personally it is utopia that will be european division nhl at least in the next decade,. But if ever there will be something like that, I will be happy if Slovan will be there.

Reactions: degustator

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Agree with @Faterson, it is complete utopia to think that the Slovak league will ever reach the TELH level. There is a big difference in financial resources, talent pool, infrastructure to name a few between the Slovak league & TELH. I can not see any reason to predict a rapid rise of the Slovak league in the near future.

Reactions: Faterson

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Why utopia? Lets look to Finland. They have about the same numbers living people in the country as Slovakia. Im not going to say, we will have a league right on their level. But if they could create a such respected league, why not also in Slovakia, hockey-country? Why couldn't be there another at least very good league? It is all about money.

If the sponsors push more money into their teams, they could sign better players
If they have better players, they have more people in the stadiums.
If they have more people in games, sponsors will spend more money.
If there is more people interested, TV rights could be sell for more money.
If there is more money, they could use it to better development.
That seems less and less true as the years go by, from my viewpoint. To me Slovan must stay in the league. But than again, I don’t think we will ever be at level of Czech league so if they think this level of competition is too weak than so well.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Slovakia, hockey-country

That seems less and less true as the years go by

I think it can become more and more true as future years go by, now with Šatan as president of Slovak hockey.

Remember what incompetent, politically connected cadres used to govern Slovak hockey in previous decades. We are reaping the results of their leadership today.

The new leadership can change that and reverse the course, so that hockey can once again start gaining popularity and compete with football for that No. 1 spot as Slovakia's most popular sport. :thumbu:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Sport costs money, hockey costs a lot of money. Finland’s GDP per capita is more than double that of Slovakia. Tough to get an equivalent level of support/sponsorship when you start that far behind.

EU court rulings have made it possible for cross border competitions without approval of national sports bodies, so there is a path to have consolidation in hockey that comes around gradually and within the traditions of promotion/relegation. Clubs and players have a path to achieve their dreams and raise the standard of the game.

A pyramid of Romania feeding into Erste Liga in Hungary, Hungary/Poland feeding into Slovak 2> Tipsport league >Czech 2 > Czech Extraliga.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Former GM Maroš Krajči from Slovan's KHL days has been rehired by Slovan's new owner:

https://sport.sme.sk/c/22448675/hokej-maros-krajci-chce-slovanu-vratit-lesk.html

He last worked for Slovan in April 2017, before things started collapsing all around for Slovan.

When now asked about Slovan's possible return to the KHL, he merely commented that he enjoyed the seasons when Slovan was playing in the KHL. :nod:

So, let's keep our fingers crossed. Slovan has meanwhile submitted paperwork to play in the Slovak league in the 2020/21 season, but it's obvious that if there's a return for Slovan to the KHL, the earliest point would be the 2021/22 season.

As to the business side of it: I heard that the Russian antivirus maker Kaspersky Labs were in trouble recently, so perhaps it might be interesting for ESET/Nod to try and increase their share on the huge Russian market. Not to mention the gigantic Chinese market (the Kunlun Red Stars connection). :skeptic:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Former GM Maroš Krajči from Slovan's KHL days has been rehired by Slovan's new owner:

https://sport.sme.sk/c/22448675/hokej-maros-krajci-chce-slovanu-vratit-lesk.html

He last worked for Slovan in April 2017, before things started collapsing all around for Slovan.

When now asked about Slovan's possible return to the KHL, he merely commented that he enjoyed the seasons when Slovan was playing in the KHL. :nod:

So, let's keep our fingers crossed. Slovan has meanwhile submitted paperwork to play in the Slovak league in the 2020/21 season, but it's obvious that if there's a return for Slovan to the KHL, the earliest point would be the 2021/22 season.

As to the business side of it: I heard that the Russian antivirus maker Kaspersky Labs were in trouble recently, so perhaps it might be interesting for ESET/Nod to try and increase their share on the huge Russian market. Not to mention the gigantic Chinese market (the Kunlun Red Stars connection). :skeptic:
I replied here.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not to mention the gigantic Chinese market (the Kunlun Red Stars connection). :skeptic:

It's a very difficult market for foreign cybersecurity companies, they are not permitted to gain a meaningful share so making big marketing moves would be futile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->