Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
tumblr_luqke6Goj91r3djteo1_100.gif~c200

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Luckily, they're not called the Dragons, so I guess it can be whatever you want it to be! Although the more I look at it, the more a see that it's not really that professionally designed... it's kinda sloppy. Like, a good mock-up that you would hope gets polished.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
... :laugh: mmk... lets see it?..... I happen to like the revised "Dragon" hansomreiste. Problem?... Give them a break.... everybodys an art-critic now?

I am OK with the fact that you like it. As The Dude says,

However, at the same time, I don't think I have to be an art's critic to criticize a hockey club's logo in a hockey forum under their thread. I'd expect a cleaner, more elaborated, sharper logo. You don't start a hockey team every other day in one of the best leagues of the world. This is what disappoints me. It's just about style. You can make one huge watermelon look like a wonderful logo but that's only when you put effort and respect in it. So it's actually not about dragon but the way the logo is presented. You can count pixels in that logo. I hope they won't print it out as it is.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russian sport agency RSport interviewed Kunlun Red Star GM Vladimir Krechin.

He said that the club would like to have 5-6 chinese players on season´s roster. As you know Kunlun´s coach Vladimir Yurzinov jr. has 13 chinese players at training camp. Krechin confirmed that goalie Shengrong Xia & players Zach Yuen, Rudi Ying, Гуан Вань (dont know how to translate the name into english) stays with team for season. To have 5-6 chinese players total the club management will choose the best from remaining chinese players who has been attending the camp.

Krechin said that Kunlun wants to sign one more D and F. Kunlun wants to launch reserve/farm team, it will be in Asian league or VHL or MHL. Decision has not been made yet.

CEE Holdings is main sponsor. Maybe this one??

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
I dont get it. To me the logo and the furry thing whatever it may be in it looks just fine. Especially the previous ones that Ult posted. Maybe it's just my new phone making everything look better.

I'm really excited to see how much of an impact the team will have in China (audience, media...). It would be great for hockey to have a strong foothold in Asia. And if they succeed, then maybe other leagues or other non-traditional hockey places would also take interest in the international expansion too.

Not holding my breath though. The risk of not succeeding is pretty high in this venture.

JA

This thread makes me smile. Dragons are fantasy. They can look whatever the artistic mind wants them to look :D
Dragons play a very important role in Chinese historical culture, first appearing five millennia ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon
Historically, the dragon was the symbol of the Emperor of China. In the Zhou dynasty, the five-clawed dragon was assigned to the Son of Heaven, the four-clawed dragon to the nobles (zhuhou, seigneur), and the three-clawed dragon to the ministers (dafu). In the Qin dynasty, the five-clawed foot dragon was assigned to represent the Emperor while the four-clawed and three-clawed dragons were assigned to the commoners. The dragon in the Qing dynasty appeared on national flag.[2]

The dragon is sometimes used in the West as a national emblem of China. However, this usage within both the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China on Taiwan as the symbol of nation is not common. Instead, it is generally used as the symbol of culture. In Hong Kong, the dragon is part of the design of Brand Hong Kong, a symbol used to promote Hong Kong as an international brand name.[3]

Sometimes Chinese people use the term "Descendants of the Dragon" (simplified Chinese: 龙的传人; traditional Chinese: 龍的傳人) as a sign of ethnic identity, as part of a trend started in the 1970s when different Asian nationalities were looking for animal symbols for representations.[2]

In Chinese culture today, the dragon is mostly used for decorative purposes. It is taboo to disfigure a depiction of a dragon.
The dragon is a powerful symbol in Chinese culture, and its appearance has been very clearly defined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon
The Han dynasty scholar Wang Fu recorded Chinese myths that long dragons had nine anatomical resemblances.

The people paint the dragon's shape with a horse's head and a snake's tail. Further, there are expressions as 'three joints' and 'nine resemblances' (of the dragon), to wit: from head to shoulder, from shoulder to breast, from breast to tail. These are the joints; as to the nine resemblances, they are the following: his antlers resemble those of a stag, his head that of a camel, his eyes those of a demon, his neck that of a snake, his belly that of a clam (shen, 蜃), his scales those of a carp, his claws those of an eagle, his soles those of a tiger, his ears those of a cow. Upon his head he has a thing like a broad eminence (a big lump), called [chimu] (尺木). If a dragon has no [chimu], he cannot ascend to the sky.[13]

Further sources give variant lists of the nine animal resemblances. Sinologist Henri Doré lists these characteristics of an authentic dragon: "The antlers of a deer. The head of a crocodile. A demon's eyes. The neck of a snake. A tortoise's viscera. A hawk's claws. The palms of a tiger. A cow's ears. And it hears through its horns, its ears being deprived of all power of hearing."[14] He notes that, "Others state it has a rabbit's eyes, a frog's belly, a carp's scales." The anatomy of other legendary creatures, including the chimera and manticore, is similarly amalgamated from fierce animals.

Chinese dragons were considered to be physically concise. Of the 117 scales, 81 are of the yang essence (positive) while 36 are of the yin essence (negative). Initially, the dragon was benevolent, wise, and just, but the Buddhists introduced the concept of malevolent influence among some dragons. Just as water destroys, they said, so can some dragons destroy via floods, tidal waves, and storms. They suggested that some of the worst floods were believed to have been the result of a mortal upsetting a dragon.
This dragon head artifact was crafted nearly 2,000 years ago:

Gilded_Bronze_Handle_of_a_Dragon%2C_Eastern_Han.JPG

This was the Flag of the Qing Dynasty:

1200px-Flag_of_the_Qing_dynasty_%281889-1912%29.svg.png

The Emperor even wore a dragon on his robe as part of his official attire, especially during the Qing Dynasty. This tradition dates back over 2,000 years.

TangTaizong.jpg

Portrait_of_the_Qianlong_Emperor_in_Court_Dress.jpg

Chinese classical texts, meanwhile, describe over 100 very specific dragons, including five that were canonized as kings 1,000 years ago by Emperor Huizong: the Azure Dragon, Vermilion Dragon, Yellow Dragon, Black Dragon, and White Dragon.

Dragons have been a part of the fabric of Chinese culture since its very beginning, and everything about them has been defined over a period of over 4,000 years.

There is a particular way that Chinese dragons must look. It would be disrespectful to depict the dragon in any other way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I guess everybody in this planet knows that dragons are big part of chinas history but still I dont see a rule where a sport club should follow that "culture rule" 100% by how the dragon looks...I understand that in other culture things.

If there is a rule, then Kunlun effed up?

Last edited:

VP

Jul 1, 2016
Again 2-0 loss. For two periods kunlun were the better team in my mind. They keep getting better but pp really needs some better pp players.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Yurzinov speaks Finnish, so why get surprised?

That's another interesting thing about this team or their coach. How can someone possibly LEARN Finnish? It's impossible. It took three seconds for me to learn what "home" and "school" means but three years to say "I was at home. Now, I am at school".

Just kidding. I don't know how to form that sentence because, as I said, it's impossible. If someone ever tells you that German or Russian is too difficult... Slap them with Finnish in the face. Torille.

Anyways, back on the topic, I think Kunlun have been doing prety well on ice. Those losses mean nothing. They are showing that they are on par with KHL teams and this is what matters at the moment. Results will eventually come. And I am pretty sure this team will look A LOT better in 20 or 30 days. I am looking forward to this President Cup thing or whatever, it will be a nice test not only for Kunlun but other teams as well.

waffletrouble

Apr 13, 2016
The dragons are history, much like the emperors they represented - who have gone the way of the tsars.
The red star is more representative of the current day communists.

They turned up smartly kitted out against Spartak.
id1285991

https://photo.khl.ru/items/id1285533
Eh... Most people in China today don't really care about or identify with Communism. Hell, most members of the Communist party don't really identify with Communism, either. Can you really identify with Communism if you've adapted to Captialism?

Dragons are an important part of Chinese culture, and in recent years, both Chinese politicians and ordinary Chinese have been gaining an increasing interest in traditional Chinese culture. Considering guoxue, the study of traditional Chinese culture, philosophy, and history, is significantly reemerging in both the curriculum of schoolchildren as well as politicians, the CCP is trying to push a revival of Confucianism, many convicts are rehabilitated through the use of classes in Confucianism, and several Chinese are even pushing for the return of pre-Qing Manchuified Chinese culture (the Qing dyansty was a Manchu conquest dynasty, much like the Mongolian Yuan dynasty) such as the revival of Han Chinese clothing (Hanfu), I'd say Chinese culture is still incredibly important. The dragon is an important aspect of that culture.

VP

Jul 1, 2016
Last week at the kunlun - spartak game I heard one dude saying that kunlun will have five chinese players playing in every game during regular season. Is this true and if so is it because of league rules or just wanting to develop chinese players?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Last week at the kunlun - spartak game I heard one dude saying that kunlun will have five chinese players playing in every game during regular season. Is this true and if so is it because of league rules or just wanting to develop chinese players?
GM said last week that Kunlun wants to have 5-6 chinese players in season, so not all guys on try out get regular contract. The reason for such decision is all you wrote - KHL rule (at least five domestic guys) and management decision (to develop players for domestic Winter Olympics). We will see how much ice time the chinese players will have.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Highlights of today's game versus Amur. Lost 5-3, goals from Mantyla, Picard, and Yashin. Zach Yuen on ice for Picard and Yashin goals.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Tuukka Mäntylä gave not so positive remarks about the teams staff. They were supposed to leave Finland yesterday but they didn't have visas. Also lacking in equipment. Not so surprising as they don't even a have person to handle visas or logistics and equipment...

Excatly. Unless they import all the organisation from top to bottom people there have next to no idea what to do and how to handle hockey club this big.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yurzinov takes his team off the ice after three minutes when Ryspayev started to attack everyone and puts Marcinko on a stretcher. Nazarov in "post-game'' interview called this three minute farce a good show. What a braindead clown he is.

link to video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a67l6N5VuN4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad