HC Red Star Kunlun 2016/17 Thread

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well you have to agree having 3 players few weeks before the training camp is a bit bizarre.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

VP

Jul 1, 2016
Kunlun will play vs jokerit in Helsinki november 1. and in Beijing january 11.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki

What does ‘Kunlun’ mean?

Well, it depends how you like your hockey. Fans of a rugged, combative game might pick up a reference to the Kunlun style of martial arts. Those of a more romantic disposition may see it as a reference to the mythical Mt Kunlun, a hollow peak directly beneath the pole star. And those who like to keep it simple may spot the reference to the Kunlun mountain range which rises to the south of the Gobi desert and straddles much of China’s territory.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I like these guyz. They know how to deliver good fun.

Kunlun has announced the roster:

G: Tomu Karhunen, Andrey Makarov;
D: Janne Jalasvaara, Ansi Salmela, Tuukka Mantula, Dmitriy Kostromitin (PTO), Aleksandr Mikulovich (Traktor rights o_O);
F: Damien Fleury, Martin Bakosh, Tomash Marcinko, Oleg Yashin, Daniil Romantsev (Negotiations with «Lokomotiv» IP), Igor' Velichkin.

The rest of the players are still in negotiations or Chinese. Yurzinov intends to have 12 Chinese players, including the 3rd goalie.

VP

Jul 1, 2016
They keep talking that they will have 10-12 chinese players, which in my mind seems really lot. Are there any khl level chinese players? I would suspect not.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Goalies look great (Karhunen has to be really expensive though), D looks really solid, F seem terrible thus far. 12 Chinese players sounds like a joke though, they would be better off playing for China Dragon which is realistically 4-5 tiers lower than the KHL.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
only way for them to have 12 Chinese players without being a complete joke in this league is if they'll have 34 players on their roster.

We are talking about D2B country, even D1A teams struggle to have KHL level players. One day, maybe...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They can 12 Chinese players in the system - why not. The thing is they have to send them down somewhere because they surely aren't going to play in the KHL. The problem is they don't have a minor team at any league, do they? Realistically China Dragon can be the only suitable team for it and Kunlun locking down 12 of their potential players would really hurt them, they are garbage team as it is so they would either have to bring even more imports (which would make the team even less appealing to local fans) or ice the team which is even more garbage.

VP

Jul 1, 2016
You would think there would be a minor league affiliate but I think there isn't any announcement yet. I guess they will have a lot of names on the roster and not play many chinese at a time.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I know that currently non-Russian KHL teams have to have a minimum number of players that are citizens of that country (I think it's 5). Has that rule been suspended for Kunlun in light of the fact that they would struggle to find one KHL level player, much less 5?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
They can 12 Chinese players in the system - why not. The thing is they have to send them down somewhere because they surely aren't going to play in the KHL. The problem is they don't have a minor team at any league, do they? Realistically China Dragon can be the only suitable team for it and Kunlun locking down 12 of their potential players would really hurt them, they are garbage team as it is so they would either have to bring even more imports (which would make the team even less appealing to local fans) or ice the team which is even more garbage.

They lose every game they play barring a miracle tie once every couple seasons, so how much worse can they get without their "star" players :laugh:

I saw in the IIHF article that they are apparently trying to woo Andong Song. Even though he's a huge longshot to make the NHL ever, he's probably still seeing how far down the rabbit hole goes in his NA development the Islanders are gift wrapping him. If he gets to a solid pro level but can't crack the NHL/doesn't want to play in NA minors, he could probably come back here and be the face of Chinese hockey.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Fact that he is chinese drafted by NHL team and this project needs a posterboy will earn him a lot, lot of money. There is a question will they start a heavy naturalization process now that they have a real team.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Fact that he is chinese drafted by NHL team and this project needs a posterboy will earn him a lot, lot of money. There is a question will they start a heavy naturalization process now that they have a real team.

If they keep assembling Finns there won't many players to naturalize... :laugh:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
None of those guys play for China Dragon meaning none of them are good even buy Chinese hockey standards. So they got 13 placeholders with Chinese passports. Job well done.

I doubt these guys will even ever train together with the main team, I'm not even talking about playing in the KHL. I, however, would love to see some of those 170 cm Chinese guys in a battle drill against someone like Kostromitin.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
None of those guys play for China Dragon meaning none of them are good even buy Chinese hockey standards. So they got 13 placeholders with Chinese passports. Job well done.

I doubt these guys will even ever train together with the main team, I'm not even talking about playing in the KHL. I, however, would love to see some of those 170 cm Chinese guys in a battle drill against someone like Kostromitin.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=4481&status=stats

Some of them play for their national team. Remember, they may be good enough to play in the Asia League but don't want to and instead opt to play university hockey while in school. Their team looks pretty young for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00