Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Leafs had assets at that time that could have been used. We had a lot of draft capital and prospects at that time. Johnsson and Kapanen were up and coming and we could have sold high on them.

Patience is a virtue. We should have been patient. I think that is a lesson learned and moving forward we gotta be patient. We need a solid re-tool and we should not rush. We MUST wait out tavares' contract unless he is will to waive and move
I agree with being patient, but at the time that the Leafs signed Tavares it looked like the team was ready to take the next step to becoming a playoff contender. The team had three emerging stars that were already doing really well and adding JT looked to be a great move when you were signing a vet star player in his prime to be your leader and to take the team to the next level.

Hard to say that it was a bad move in that context and looking at his stats every season he's been a Leaf he's either been at or near a point per game player except for this year. I mean sure he hasn't had that elite level impact that we hoped he could deliver, but he's still been a really good player during his time here and he's been productive and impactful for longer than many expected him to be when a number of people accepted that he would decline near the end of his contract and yet here he is with one year left after this season and he's still putting up good numbers.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I agree with being patient, but at the time that the Leafs signed Tavares it looked like the team was ready to take the next step to becoming a playoff contender. The team had three emerging stars that were already doing really well and adding JT looked to be a great move when you were signing a vet star player in his prime to be your leader and to take the team to the next level.

Hard to say that it was a bad move in that context and looking at his stats every season he's been a Leaf he's either been at or near a point per game player except for this year. I mean sure he hasn't had that elite level impact that we hoped he could deliver, but he's still been a really good player during his time here and he's been productive and impactful for longer than many expected him to be when a number of people accepted that he would decline near the end of his contract and yet here he is with one year left after this season and he's still putting up good numbers.
I always thought when they signed Tavares the other 3 would sign under what Tavares got paid. Instead 2 out of the 3 got more.

Mar 26, 2010
If Marner wants to get the fans off his back, he could sign an 8 or 9 mil contract.
And state that he loves this team and is taking less to stay here.
His dad wants $14M a session. Send his dad packing. Get lost.

Reactions: TMLife17

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
if you're old enough then at least as a sports fan in Toronto you've seen 2 World Series and 1 NBA championship... that's about all we're going to get though, this hockey situation is clearly never going to get any better so long as we're alive

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Yep, about 800k in relief if we go that way. But if you are going to change the team and culture, then it should be considered.

If you could clear up a lot of room in convincing Marner or even Rielly to kindly take their talents elsewhere, then the JT hit wouldn't be quite as bad.

I think it's better to just plug our noses and ride out JT. Marner on the other hand absolutely needs to be traded this summer because there is simply no way you can re-sign him.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013

He was massively overrated.
A grunt with a good wrist shot.
That’s all he’s ever been.
Never worth that contract.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yep, about 800k in relief if we go that way. But if you are going to change the team and culture, then it should be considered.

If you could clear up a lot of room in convincing Marner or even Rielly to kindly take their talents elsewhere, then the JT hit wouldn't be quite as bad.
You're better off paying the July 1 bonus then trying to move him at a ~1m player

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Play Woll the rest of the series. It's one thing we can change that could make an actual difference.

I thought Knies played a pretty nice little game.

Nylander in, Matthews out. Not getting much luck with players at the top of the lineup.

Pete2000

Nov 10, 2019
Send help! We are under attack!
Toronto Maple Leafs Flags, NHL.jpeg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

What? He's got a top 10 salary and finished 70th in the NHL in scoring while playing on the PP with three top-15 level scorers.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If Marner wants to get the fans off his back, he could sign an 8 or 9 mil contract.
And state that he loves this team and is taking less to stay here.

Would that help the team though? He would still be playing top line minutes and running this futile PP come playoff time...regardless, he thinks too highly of himself to ever sign a contract like that...and if he really loves the Leafs, he would have signed $9.5 x 8 on his last contract like Kucherov did...he loves money more than he loves the Leafs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Maybe Nylander could have been more vocal on the box score.

3 shots and 2 hits in almost 23 minutes of play.

He has more than enough to worry about before he starts doling out advice to his peers.
As many shots as any Leaf, and two hits, which is a lot for him. For the first game back and playing on the third line, that's not too bad.

He looked really off for the first period, but was one of the better Leafs after that.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
1714276728651.jpeg

It’s almost over.

Based on things, I think if you tell Marner he’s not being resigned, and if he doesn’t work with the team to find a deal, they will put him out after every game to answer questions, he will waive.

He's got thin skin and an ego. He will get his money and get out of the thunder dome.

He will waive.

This team cannot remain as assembled and he’s the easiest to lift out.

Shanahan out
Keefe out
Marner out

This needs to happen this summer.

Enough of this shit already.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
This series is making me realize how much my outlook on this team has changed.

In 2018 and 2019, I remember feeling viscerally angry and inconsolable after every loss. I ****ing hated Debrusk, Marchand, Chara, etc with every fibre of my being and felt like the Leafs deserved to win. I loved our team with all my heart and hated theirs, and couldn't bare to see us lose.

This series, I hardly even feel upset with how it's gone. And I don't feel an ounce of ill will toward any of the Bruins players. If anything, I just respect and admire the way they play.

The entirety of my dislike is directed squarely at our players - why bother cheering for a team that clearly doesn't care enough to get it done, time and time again? Honestly, I feel like it's probably healthier this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad