HC Red Star Kunlun 2016/17 Thread

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
1,500 spectators against Ak Bars in Shanghai. Do we know which games they will play in Beijing and Shanghai? I know they had over 7K spectators for the opener in Beijing but not sure if they played there after that. Just maybe they can have better audience in the capital. Because anything below 3K is really troubling for a KHL team. And why don't they have different names for those cities... Beijing and Shanghai sounds so similar to me. Like same city with two names.

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
1,500 spectators against ak bars in shanghai. Do we know which games they will play in beijing and shanghai? I know they had over 7k spectators for the opener in beijing but not sure if they played there after that. Just maybe they can have better audience in the capital. Because anything below 3k is really troubling for a khl team. And why don't they have different names for those cities... Beijing and shanghai sounds so similar to me. Like same city with two names.

"1500"

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
This Shanghai experiment is obviously bad, they need to get back to Beijing asap and stay there. It's not a problem in the long run, as long as owners keep being motivated about the team and most of all keep working on building hype, marketing on all fronts. Beijing is a huge place, i am sure crowds can be attracted.

Luckily it's only because their arena was unavailable that they play in Shanghai. I wonder when they will fix the National indoor arena to be fit for hockey, as that's where the Olympics will be played. As soon as they fix it, the easier it will be if LeSports Center isn't available. It was stupid to have one home game in Beijing and then play the next 10 games in Shanghai. They should've played the first 11 games in Shanghai instead.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
1,500 spectators against Ak Bars in Shanghai. Do we know which games they will play in Beijing and Shanghai? I know they had over 7K spectators for the opener in Beijing but not sure if they played there after that. Just maybe they can have better audience in the capital. Because anything below 3K is really troubling for a KHL team. And why don't they have different names for those cities... Beijing and Shanghai sounds so similar to me. Like same city with two names.

:laugh:

Ankara, Istanbul, Constantinople. Same difference right? ;)

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Relax. Give them time, promote the league and the sport that's mostly unknown to the Chinese and be patient. Tsargrad wasn't built overnight.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Relax. Give them time, promote the league and the sport that's mostly unknown to the Chinese and be patient. Tsargrad wasn't built overnight.

The problem from my perspective is I see no reason why interest would spike up. Yeah, it's just a beginning and it's safe to assume things can get only better in time but... How much? Will it be enough? Anyways, this will be a cool experiment to follow, which I hope, in the end, will turn out something in favour of KHL, with or without Kunlun.

:laugh:

Ankara, Istanbul, Constantinople. Same difference right? ;)

Sorry if it sounded rude, I don't intend to mean anything like that. It's confusing for me most likely because I am not familiar with Chinese names. They all seem to be following a similar pattern, which makes it a little bit confusing to separate from time to time. Everything was easier when Beijing was transliterated as Peking. :laugh: Actually, in Turkish, we still call it Pekin; this is why it gets confusing for me when it's called Beijing. And I honestly don't get the reference with Ankara, İstanbul or Constantinople. First two are totally different names for Turkish cities. If they sound alike for you, then you can understand why Chinese do to me. If not, what's the point? Constantinople has nothing to do with Turkish, it's long gone.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The problem from my perspective is I see no reason why interest would spike up. Yeah, it's just a beginning and it's safe to assume things can get only better in time but... How much? Will it be enough? Anyways, this will be a cool experiment to follow, which I hope, in the end, will turn out something in favour of KHL, with or without Kunlun.

Sorry if it sounded rude, I don't intend to mean anything like that. It's confusing for me most likely because I am not familiar with Chinese names. They all seem to be following a similar pattern, which makes it a little bit confusing to separate from time to time. Everything was easier when Beijing was transliterated as Peking. :laugh: Actually, in Turkish, we still call it Pekin; this is why it gets confusing for me when it's called Beijing. And I honestly don't get the reference with Ankara, İstanbul or Constantinople. First two are totally different names for Turkish cities. If they sound alike for you, then you can understand why Chinese do to me. If not, what's the point? Constantinople has nothing to do with Turkish, it's long gone.

Haha it's all good just having some fun, your comment just sounded ridiculous so I thought I'd turn it right back at you so you can see how ridiculous it sounded to me. Since you didn't get my reference to the Turkish cities, that clearly worked! :laugh:

Anyways sorry for getting OT.

Anyone know when/if one can buy a jersey?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That's Canadian point, not Chinese. Otherwise, Oleg Li has scored 20 of "Chinese points" in this league already.

P.S. His roots are in Korea, not China, but still, the point stands I think.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yeah, a player who was born in Vancouver and player for Team Canada Pacific doesn't count. Zach Yuen that is.

But I don't think it will be years before the first truly Chinese point gets scored, with Tianxiang Xia playing regularly.

mtngoat

Jul 31, 2016

The newly minted CAFL team had over 11k in the same arena. Kunlun marketing dept needs to up their game.

14457265_1258311627565192_5510054502402832028_n.jpg

BTW: Beijing Lions defeated the Shanghai Skywalkers 54-53 in an overtime thriller.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Am I the only one surprised about announcements in Kunlun arena being made in Russian first and in Chinese later? How does it make sense to make them in Russian anyway, who speaks it there? Just makes the sport look more alien.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Great to see Yuen, Xia and Ying get more ice time over these past few games.

mtngoat

Jul 31, 2016
Jalasvaara banned 5 games for shooting his mouth off ( & apparently also the puck) at the ref.
5 minutes OK ... but 5 games :shakehead

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
The problem from my perspective is I see no reason why interest would spike up. Yeah, it's just a beginning and it's safe to assume things can get only better in time but... How much? Will it be enough? Anyways, this will be a cool experiment to follow, which I hope, in the end, will turn out something in favour of KHL, with or without Kunlun..

You're the same guy that wrote Amur off after 6 games of the season, you have to admit you're not the most patient person on God's green earth :)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
So when do they move back to Beijing, where they can finally start building something in sense of marketing, popularity and whole club image.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So when do they move back to Beijing, where they can finally start building something in sense of marketing, popularity and whole club image.

If nothing changed, their last game in Shanghai will be on October 27 against Amur. Source Then trip and comeback to Beijing on November 15 (Avangard).

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
You're the same guy that wrote Amur off after 6 games of the season, you have to admit you're not the most patient person on God's green earth :)

It's true that I am not patient at all but me writing off Amur was more about expectations and predictions based on the team and players - I would've written them off even before the season began. While it's possible for a team to have a good run and beat the odds at the end of season, it's very unlikely for a huge project like this to turn out great unless some serious improvements are made. I mean, a professional hockey team can get better even after a lucky win which improves morale and brings one or two wins more afterwards. For extra 15pts in 60 games, you don't need years of planning. On the other hand, Red Star Kunlun needs serious commitment in order to become a marketable team. When I call this project a failure, I'm not speaking about on-ice success. Theoratically speaking, you can just bring in 25 NHL guys and put a team in İstanbul which could storm KHL. However, this team would not generate income since there would be little to no interest from fans and such a team is what KHL needs the least.

I always say that: I want the best for KHL and under normal circumstances I have nothing against a Chinese team. If I knew it would work, I would even want additions from India or Uzbekistan. KHL needs to decide what it is: an established, strong league or an experiment? It has been almost 10 years since creation and while it's surely acceptable to experiment at early stage, I think they need to stick to a plan sooner than later. Because as things stand now, Kunlun provides no "fun" at all, which is the essence of all professional sports organization around the world.

I don't like what I've seen so far. Of course I am aware that the Chinese will not be hockey fans overnight. No problem with that. The tricky part is the lack of projects and solutions. I mean, this team was supposed to play in Beijing in a modern, big arena yet they played so many games in Shanghai with very little attendance.

Patience yields results only when you work toward them while being patient. As far as I can see, nobody is interested in Kunlun and no work is done to change the picture. In this case, being patient would mean an endless wait. I'm ready to be patient when I see good work. My only concern is that I don't see it. I've waited for so long for so many things. I would also wait for Kunlun... OK, not going too poetic here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad