HC Red Star Kunlun 2016/17 Thread

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Good one mtngoat, goalie's name :D

Great to hear about the crowd and that people are enjoying good hockey there. Kunlun is doing much better than most predicted before the season looking at their roster. 1st play off appearance in their 1st year, what more can you ask for. I sure hope they make it happen.

AIREAYE, you've been to the game as well?

Nah, just watching the highlights of each game from the KHL youtube page. I'll have to make a point to fly across the pond sometime soon though!

forp

Nov 15, 2016
Is there any particular reason for the surge in attendance figures, something like marketing or promotion etc. or is it just people somehow get to know more and more about Kunlun and getting attracted slowly and naturally? Before it all started, I was optimistic. When Kunlun was introduced, I didn't like the idea at all - it looked very unprepared and amateur. However, things seem to have taken a quick turn and the project is actually working. Now one part is left: make this a CHINESE team. I mean, with legit Chinese players. How long do you think would it take? As close as 5 years? Or maybe 10? If kids at the age of 10 started playing hockey today, I think they could make it to KHL in 10 years. So I wish for 10 or less.

in both Beijing and Shanghai, there're kids started playing hockey at 5 or even 4, and quite a lot of them. Still, I won't expect KRS to become a true CHINESE team, because a lot of them started leaving the rinks or just can't continue systematic training after 10, due to various reasons. the best some 12+ kids can expect are some occasional games for fun then. but we'll see if it will change.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
As far as NT or a full KHL team is concerned I think expats are the best bet for the near future. Cliff Pu perhaps, maybe loans him out to KRS for two years instead of AHL. Jett Woo, Woo is Hong Kong-nese to my knowledge but it still, there's a Chinese phrase "can be spoken across" (rough translation) for the NT and for the KHL team obviously they'd love to have him...

If hockey remains a prominent sport in the Olympics then the sports ministry will take care of it, however a lot of the human infrastructure, expertise isn't there right now for that cause. Especially that chinese sports is recruiting based. One good idea is to get Ning Zetao to do some commercials and shoots with KRS, then a bunch of girls would find out what ice hockey was overnight :laugh:

mtngoat

Jul 31, 2016
Rumor:

Sibling rivalry in the making ???

jokerit-kunlun-121116-100.jpg

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Folks, I'll be in China (not Beijing unfortunately, save for a 3hr layover) for the next couple weeks. Are these games broadcast on TV? If so, which channel?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Folks, I'll be in China (not Beijing unfortunately, save for a 3hr layover) for the next couple weeks. Are these games broadcast on TV? If so, which channel?

it should be on CCTV5+

EDIT
Problem may be with away game in Podolsk and Novokuznetsk. If they still dont have HD, chinese broadcaster may refuse to broadcast these away games. CCTV5+ did the same at the start of season

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
it should be on CCTV5+

EDIT
Problem may be with away game in Podolsk and Novokuznetsk. If they still dont have HD, chinese broadcaster may refuse to broadcast these away games. CCTV5+ did the same at the start of season

Thank you!

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
So apparently it's REALLY expensive to play hockey in China. 10 year olds have to pay 1000 euros a month and 15 year olds 3000 euros.

I'm 100% sure that these hockey schools/coaches just make it up. Chinese mentality will play into this. 'It costs a lot so It must provide a result!' then all the rich families end up getting ripped off. But hey they are rich and if they do start to produce some good players it'll be worth it.

mtngoat

Jul 31, 2016
it's crunch time ... down to the wire

7 Kunlun 59 28 31 83 :scared:
8 Admiral 59 26 33 83
9 Sibir 59 27 32 81

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
What happens in a three-way tie? Let's say both Kunlun and Admiral lost in OT/SO and Sibir won in regulation, which would bring them all to 84pts. Is it, again, more regulation wins or maybe the games played between the teams in question? Because in football, for most of the time, it's like that... Two-way tie is solved by higher number of goals, better goal difference etc. but when it's a three or four-way tie, only the games between the teams in question are taken into account and not whole season.

Well, I think we won't need such a thing - either Kunlun or Admiral will get more than 1pt. Even if they don't... Sibir can't win in regulation. And here goes my reverse jinx.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What happens in a three-way tie? Let's say both Kunlun and Admiral lost in OT/SO and Sibir won in regulation, which would bring them all to 84pts. Is it, again, more regulation wins or maybe the games played between the teams in question? Because in football, for most of the time, it's like that... Two-way tie is solved by higher number of goals, better goal difference etc. but when it's a three or four-way tie, only the games between the teams in question are taken into account and not whole season.

Well, I think we won't need such a thing - either Kunlun or Admiral will get more than 1pt. Even if they don't... Sibir can't win in regulation. And here goes my reverse jinx.

In the event of two or more teams having the same number of points, the higher placing in the Division, Conference and League standings, current or final, is given to the team which has:

the greatest number of regulation time victories;
the greatest number of overtime victories;
the greatest number of shootout victories;
the greatest differential between goals scored and allowed;
the greatest number of goals scored.
If teams are still tied according to criterion a), above, then criterion b) applies; if teams are still level according to b), then c) is applied, and so on.

In the event of teams still being tied after all five of the above-mentioned criteria are applied, then the teams shall be separated by the drawing of lots.

http://en.khl.ru/official/about/

St George

May 14, 2013
Hi, lads and lasses, and congratulations on Red Star's qualification for the playoffs.

I'm a (sometime) journalist, and I'm trying to arrange an interview with history-making RS Kunlun defenseman Zach Yuen. If it comes off, it would be good to put some questions from the fans, so any suggestions are welcome. Fans' questions are often better (sometimes much better) than those of boring journos.

Good luck against Magnitka. That's a playoff baptism of fire.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Whao that'll be interesting to follow, thanks for sharing.
I posted a translated interview with Makarov where he talks some stuff about his life in China. Not too much, but still an interesting read, I think

http://thehockeywriters.com/andrey-makarov-finds-new-life-in-china/

Good article, always interesting to learn more about the day-to-day for these players, many of whom are playing in a completely new environment.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How many local players realistically do they got for those teams? Chinese hockey would probably be better of if they started in NMHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
How many local players realistically do they got for those teams? Chinese hockey would probably be better of if they started in NMHL.

I agree with NMHL part, but you have to consider costs for transport for Russian NMHL clubs, many of them can not afford it. Plus it might be problem to travel to Uchaly, Glazov or so. On the other hand, China does not have good enough players for MHL. I have no idea how many youth Chinese players are in NA, the Kunlun Jr. will try to get them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->