HC Red Star Kunlun 2016/17 Thread

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I wrote about Kunlun's first game in Beijing for VICE, let me know what you think:

CHINA WANTS TO BE THE NEXT HOCKEY HEAVYWEIGHT

For a country with more than 1 000 000 000 peaple, that is so fucused to sports achievements, its is surprising, that the are so weak in soccer and ice-hockey.
But the potential is there. Lets see, how it will look in 20 years. Hope, this forum will be still alive and we can discuss then. :D

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
For a country with more than 1 000 000 000 peaple, that is so fucused to sports achievements, its is surprising, that the are so weak in soccer and ice-hockey.
But the potential is there. Lets see, how it will look in 20 years. Hope, this forum will be still alive and we can discuss then. :D
The Communist party has invested a lot in football now, so I believe that they will become better at football. Hopefully hockey will get the some attention as well.

mtngoat

Jul 31, 2016
krs v ska promo

MAIN201611300854000002907278652.png

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
Kovalchuk & Datsyuk vs Yuen & Marcinko....... Who will win? I dunno

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Too bad I didn't have time yesterday. Missed a chance to watch Dats play live. What a shame. I will attend the game on Monday against CSKA with my wife. Don't know much about CSKA other than Nuke playing there. Gonna watch him closely. Hope it's a good game, even though may not be able to watch the whole game. Have to work the next day.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Kunlun back in Beijing, attendance 8300 according to official protocol.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Kunlun back in Beijing, attendance 8300 according to official protocol.

Various sources consistently verify the figure of 8300. I haven't watched the game at all, so no wild guesses about how many people may have been in stands. Still, I don't believe that number. This team attracting 8300 people for a game against Barys? No way.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Various sources consistently verify the figure of 8300. I haven't watched the game at all, so no wild guesses about how many people may have been in stands. Still, I don't believe that number. This team attracting 8300 people for a game against Barys? No way.

The average Kunlun fan doesn't really know about the teams so don't put any big thoughts on who they play. Severstal attracted more people than CSKA, and almost as many as SKA.

Although the official attendance was 8300, I believe it was around 6000-7000 there at the arena.

LCP33

Dec 13, 2016
beijing
I have been to both Beijing games. The crowd did seem bigger and more into the game for the second one this past monday and there were scalpers starting at the subway. both good signs. it was good to see merchandise for sale too. Am going to the game on saturday. Looking to pick up a jersey or two

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
I have been to both Beijing games. The crowd did seem bigger and more into the game for the second one this past monday and there were scalpers starting at the subway. both good signs. it was good to see merchandise for sale too. Am going to the game on saturday. Looking to pick up a jersey or two

Thanks for the info. Hope that you report about the saturday's game too :yo:

Encouraging signs indeed.

LCP33

Dec 13, 2016
beijing
Great game today, overtime win. the crowd seemed a little smaller. didn't notice any kids hockey teams watching. that or the terrible pollution could have been why. most of the groups around my seats were father and son pairings or couples. this game had a more chinese feel and the dragon was back on the ice

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This crowd has been really into it lately, it's awesome to see.

And when the hell are these guys getting some red pant shells? And team gloves?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Good one mtngoat, goalie's name :D

Great to hear about the crowd and that people are enjoying good hockey there. Kunlun is doing much better than most predicted before the season looking at their roster. 1st play off appearance in their 1st year, what more can you ask for. I sure hope they make it happen.

AIREAYE, you've been to the game as well?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Is there any particular reason for the surge in attendance figures, something like marketing or promotion etc. or is it just people somehow get to know more and more about Kunlun and getting attracted slowly and naturally? Before it all started, I was optimistic. When Kunlun was introduced, I didn't like the idea at all - it looked very unprepared and amateur. However, things seem to have taken a quick turn and the project is actually working. Now one part is left: make this a CHINESE team. I mean, with legit Chinese players. How long do you think would it take? As close as 5 years? Or maybe 10? If kids at the age of 10 started playing hockey today, I think they could make it to KHL in 10 years. So I wish for 10 or less.

LCP33

Dec 13, 2016
beijing
There are a few reasons for why attendance is higher here. They are beijing's team first of all. shanghai is our rival in everything else so they are less likely to go out for a beijing team. Secondly based on my time in Shanghai they aren't really into foreign culture all that much now. there is even a movement to take foreign alphabet(pinyin) off of signs in most of the city. effectively limiting the foreigners to certain sectors. The Arena is much bigger as well. as for promotion, i look for it and don't really see anything so its not that. I have been to every game here in beijing and i have seen the crowd evolve. first game they didn't really know when to cheer or when something good happened. in the second game they were following along with the loud speakers. the third game i noticed that the crowd seemed to understand what was going on much more. in yesterday's game they were even starting their own chants and battling a little with the ugra chants. I will be there saturday hope it keeps progressing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad