TV: HBO's Veep

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Okay, so obviously I'm a big Veep fan and it's been my second favorite show currently airing--- but I started watching "In The Thick Of It" and I totally agree, it's a noticeably better version of Veep, IMO. It's a leaner, bit more restrained/more focused/no-nonsense, the ideas/humor is better executed and feel more alive/memorable. Really cool stuff. I didn't notice any reliance on shock value whatsoever (the clip was a little misleading-- I was actually a little put off by it, thinking he was the star of the show).

Honestly makes me like Veep a little less, because it makes me start to notice all these little things I wasn't crazy about when The Office UK was Americanised.

Still really good relative to what else is on, though.

Thanks for mentioning that show.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Just burned through the 4 seasons so far and this was waaaay more funny than I thought it was gonna be. Didn't really care about the actual story of the series until the end of the 2nd season when big things happened.

But the supporting characters are so damn good. There are a few times where I was legit laughing out loud pretty hard. They make the show what it is. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is pretty meh for me mostly but everyone else is fantastic.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Maybe I just haven't "Gotten" this season, but I found last night's episode boring, and I'm glad this season is coming to an end. I guess ever since Amy's Meltdown, I've seen all these characters are charactatures, almost just cartoon like, and none of them are all that likeable. Maybe I was missing something but in previous seasons it seemed like they all were trying to do good, but ended up doing bad for the most part. I could live with that because there were times when they as a group were successful. Now they are doing bad just for bad sake and I'm getting annoyed by it. I still like the show, but this season hasn't been all that great, and last night's episode was almost like the season hit rock bottom.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I laughed so hard at this episode... loved it.

Ben still the best imo... he is so subtle but often drops the best lines.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Who was the guy who was in charge of the election analysis program? He was so familiar, I am sure I've seen him in something else.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I loved how the tall election manager guy, Bill?, was not-so-casually mentioning his impending prison-time.

Also how they ended the season, it was perfect. Not much else to say, I really enjoy the show.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Who was the guy who was in charge of the election analysis program? He was so familiar, I am sure I've seen him in something else.

Got it! It was Scott Adsit from 30 Rock.

I just knew that whatever character he had played, it was a prototypical pathetic, middle aged guy. I was right. It finally came to me.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Too close to call... What does it mean?

It means they need to count all the votes in some house races that are too close to call. Without those seats being decided, which can take months as sometimes there is a recount, they can't decide who is POTUS. If they can't vote by a certain date (Jan 20th?) then the VP becomes POTUS is what they said I think.

What would happen?

Although it was first addressed by Article II, if there were a tie in the Electoral College we would follow the process outlined in the 12th Amendment (ratified in 1804): “the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President” and “the Senate shall choose the Vice-President.”

The catch is that the votes in the House aren’t tallied by each representative: “the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote.” That means that all the representatives within a given state vote as a bloc, and each state has one vote. The majority of votes within that state bloc determine its vote.

The votes in the Senate are cast by the individual senators.

That also means that with an even 50 votes in the House and 50 in the Senate (D.C. doesn’t get a vote), there is potential for yet another tie vote. But the 12th Amendment covers that too: “if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.” This section was later superseded by the 20th Amendment, which moved the start of the new session of Congress from March to early January.

If the Senate is unable to break a tie for the vice president, according to the Presidential Succession Act of 1947, the speaker of the House serves as acting president.

Electors officially cast their votes in December, and the electoral votes are tallied in a joint session of Congress in January.

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012/11/an-electoral-college-tie-explained/

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This wasn't the best season for Veep, but I really enjoyed the finale last night. I just get this sense Mayer is going to be Tom James' Veep, therefore keeping the show relevant to it's title.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I thought that Tom James would end up as President and Selena back as Veep, and I like how they're going about it.

Lord Moriarty007

Lets go Avs & Bolts!
May 1, 2013
Denver, CO/Orlando,FL
I'm catching up(on season 2) with Veep and I love it. The creator of the show started in the UK shows If you love Veep you would love the original, "the Thick of It" is being shown on BBC America this year.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
re watching this series

caught an episode started laughing... this show is so damn good.

Doesn't get love it deserves... so smart... so funny.

Also the more I watch the more I love Jonah lol

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just bumping this up because Veep returns tonight. I hope it's a little more straight edged than last year. Last year was decent, but the show went in so many different places. I almost feel like I should marathon the series again before the new season starts. I'm assuming we're getting more House this year. Hopefully Amy is still there because I thought she had the best season last year.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I just started watching this show last week, am up to Season 4 right now (trying to get through it before the new season starts tonight).

Favorite line of Season 4 so far: "Are you bullying me into dropping an anti-bullying charity?"

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I am almost as excited for this, as GOT. Can't wait!!!!

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
That episode was as witty as ever. So many great lines and zingers. Louie-Dryfus was in top form. That scene where Kent kept correcting her pronunciation of Navada was hysterical, as well as the scene where Dan gets fired and the zinger with text auto correct. :laugh:

Also as a hockey fan, the line about the NHL all star weekend was great. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad