TV: HBO's The Night Of

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As it's pointed out already, just considered it being quite the stretch to call him a murderer due to his accessory status. If he would have switched roles with Freddy, fine, call him a murderer and Freddy the accessory.

Most of the United States treats accessory before the act and the actual act the same. If Naz wouldn't be charged with murder directly, he would have been punished in the same manner.

And who cares, you're arguing semantics and sort of missing my point I think. The point was how clunky and accelerated the transition from college student to cold blooded hardened criminal in a matter of months was. I mean come on. It was ridiculous.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Why is he a cold blooded hardened criminal? All he's done throughout his stint was beat up a racist dude who tried to burn his face off, shoved drugs up his butt and distracted a guard. I was more impressed with his 30lbs transformation - did Freddy have him smoke streroids too?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Why is he a cold blooded hardened criminal? All he's done throughout his stint was beat up a racist dude who tried to burn his face off, shoved drugs up his butt and distracted a guard. I was more impressed with his 30lbs transformation - did Freddy have him smoke streroids too?

Yea, I'd like to go on that workout that he did...30lbs of muscle in 4 months from using some bare bone garbage gym equipment and no protein shakes? Sign me up.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The transition from college student to criminal was fine.

During the trial, they established that Naz was not the most innocent person we were led to believe. As the guy above me stated, he already had a history of drugs and violence. Put 2 people in the hospital if i remember the story correctly.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
The point was how clunky and accelerated the transition from college student to cold blooded hardened criminal in a matter of months was. I mean come on. It was ridiculous.

Among aforementioned reasons (not as innocent as it was assumed) it was discussed already that the time framework for this show was pretty limited.
I guess that's why it seemed to be rushed at times. That and the fact of lacking time stamps along the way.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Selling some Adderall and lashing out at someone after being taunted and harassed for who knows how long after 911 makes you a criminal now?

Thank god I grew up in the 70's and 80's. As far as I know, Adderall is almost an epidemic in Colleges, not sure about high school level. And pushing back against those picking on you is not some great crime even if the person did end up badly hurt. Sometimes that happens when someone young gets pushed too far. Take it from someone who was picked on from 4th grade all the way through high school. Thank god the worst I did was bloody someones face, but it could have gone another way.

IMO, Naz was an average kid making his way though young adulthood. And nothing he did in prison was a shocking transformation to me. Well, except that none of it would have happened because he would have been locked in his cell and not been allowed in GP lol.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Quick note, Nas never went to prison. He went to jail. Jail is where you go before trial if you can't afford bail or are remanded without bail (as Nas was). Prison is where you go after you're convicted of a felony. This is relevant because its why Freddy mentioned he had a member of his crew "put another body on him" so he could get moved down from upstate (prison) to Rikers (jail). It also comes into play with a lot of the innocence claims inmates had in the jail.

Moreover, nobody is saying Nas was a criminal prior to the events of the show (although technically he broke the law with his adderal dealings). What people are saying is that he had issues with violence and potentially authority, whether coaxed out by external factors or otherwise, before he went to jail. This is very much what Freddy was getting at with Nas. He mentioned his "demons" and the whole "Call of the Wild" book theme.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Quick note, Nas never went to prison. He went to jail. Jail is where you go before trial if you can't afford bail or are remanded without bail (as Nas was). Prison is where you go after you're convicted of a felony. This is relevant because its why Freddy mentioned he had a member of his crew "put another body on him" so he could get moved down from upstate (prison) to Rikers (jail). It also comes into play with a lot of the innocence claims inmates had in the jail.

Moreover, nobody is saying Nas was a criminal prior to the events of the show (although technically he broke the law with his adderal dealings). What people are saying is that he had issues with violence and potentially authority, whether coaxed out by external factors or otherwise, before he went to jail. This is very much what Freddy was getting at with Nas. He mentioned his "demons" and the whole "Call of the Wild" book theme.

Just about every male has that. The first thing he did in the show was steal his dads car, then drank and did drugs and screwed a woman on the first date.

I'm just sick of so many people here saying the don't like Naz anymore because of this and that. Very narrow minded.

But whatever, I enjoyed the show and don't feel the need to pick every thing apart in a show like so many here.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's not about whether or not you "like" Nas. It's about a theme of the show. The title of the last episode was "The Call of the Wild" for a reason. Taking the dog and turning him into a wolf is a central theme of this show.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
It's not about whether or not you "like" Nas. It's about a theme of the show. The title of the last episode was "The Call of the Wild" for a reason. Taking the dog and turning him into a wolf is a central theme of this show.

Of course it is. And many people in this thread have had a problem with that in one way or another. Either it wasn't done well enough or Naz wasn't this innocent child to begin with.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
:facepalm:

Nas was not an "innocent child" to begin with. That's the point of that theme/subplot. The environment Nas was placed in made those portions of Nas manifest.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Eh, kinda.

If you are sentenced to anything under a year you go to jail as well. So it not necessarily just a place people go waiting for trial.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You wanna explain what your facepalming for, cause it looks more like you're faceplanting.

I'm facepalming this:
Either it wasn't done well enough or Naz wasn't this innocent child to begin with.

You still seem to think Nas had to be an "innocent child" beforehand in order for The Call of the Wild evolution to take place. That's the complete opposite of the truth.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Yea, I'd like to go on that workout that he did...30lbs of muscle in 4 months from using some bare bone garbage gym equipment and no protein shakes? Sign me up.

I've never been near a prison but from what I've heard you eat, sleep, and workout. If he was in there 6 months I can see him putting some weight on. I don't know if it's 30lbs.

Not sure why people are hung up on that aspect.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I've never been near a prison but from what I've heard you eat, sleep, and workout. If he was in there 6 months I can see him putting some weight on. I don't know if it's 30lbs.

Not sure why people are hung up on that aspect.
30lbs in 4 months = 7.5lbs / month = 26250 caloric surplus / month = 6500 caloric surplus / week = 900 caloric surplus / day.... that's around 3200-3600 calories a day.

That's a lot of food. Most people can't even that much in real world where food choices are endless.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Where is this magic number, 30lbs coming from? It was never stated how much weight Nas put on was it? I think some of you are just looking for a further reason to call the show out as ********.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Where is this magic number, 30lbs coming from? It was never stated how much weight Nas put on was it? I think some of you are just looking for a further reason to call the show out as ********.

Not really. I enjoyed the show a lot. It was just a bit unrealistic how big he got so shortly. Halfway through the season he had looked like he put on 20 pounds of muscle already (2 months?).

You can get ripped in jail, but to gain that much mass with the limited amount of resources and food? Not happening.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Not really. I enjoyed the show a lot. It was just a bit unrealistic how big he got so shortly. Halfway through the season he had looked like he put on 20 pounds of muscle already (2 months?).

You can get ripped in jail, but to gain that much mass with the limited amount of resources and food? Not happening.

Being under Freddy's wing though - if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure it showed that they were getting special treatment (weren't they shown hanging out in Freddy's cell eating McDonald's or something at a few points in the series?). Obviously having to smuggle in drugs was awful, but otherwise, Nas was living like a king in there.

As well, we don't know how much mass Nas actually gained in prison, but we do know that he was doing a ton of push-ups and lifting. At the very least, it's reasonable for him to look physically bigger from doing all of that - he likely didn't gain as much mass as everyone thinks, just gained some inevitable size from working out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
People are getting way too hung up on the timeline and the bulking up here. The point of the show was to demonstrate the path of destruction the legal system leaves in its wake. Nas' jail transformation was part of that. Whether the specifics of that transformation in this particular case are 100% realistic is secondary.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Obviously. But it's fun to **** on it though. And come on, that's at least 20lbs gained. And your lats don't grow bigger with pushups, and I didn't see any pullup bars. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad