TV: HBO's The Night Of

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
A Night Of

I didn't see a thread for this. The first episode is on HBO GO and HBO On-Demand and hasn't officially aired so I won't talk about the episode other than to say it was:

The first episode was damn good. I thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every aspect of it.

It's written by Richard Price, a writer from The Wire and was James Gandolfini's project before he died. It's based off of a British show called Criminal Justice.

Some links if you haven't seen the zillion ads for it before Game of Thrones:

http://www.hbo.com/the-night-of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Of

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-night-of

Edit: Can a Mod please put "HBO's A Night Of" in the title?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Previews were heavy before each episode of Game of Thrones this season.

The first episode was released early on HBO GO.

This is gonna be good.

IMDb page

After a night of partying with a female stranger, a man wakes up to find her stabbed to death and is charged with her murder.

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Agreed, really liked the first episode. The fact that Bodie from The Wire is in it also will keep me watching. Also its called THE Night Of

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
It was an odd episode and highly confusing at times, but I'm a huge fan of John Turturro and Alan Sepinwall had high praise for the show after viewing the entire season, so I'll stick with it assuming things become clearer.

The cinematic shots were gorgeous, the pacing and suspense building was fantastic, and the acting was terrific, so if the show's story arcs prove to be solid, HBO might have another winner on its hands.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think the show is promising. They went through great lengths to let you see a lot of details of what happened. It was done well though. You basically knew what was going to happen but it was still very compelling. I agree that Nas was really stupid though.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I can see a somewhat nerdy 20 year old, who only had sex once, didn't drink.....super excited to be invited to the cool party for the first time EVER......doing some naive and dumb things.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I can see a somewhat nerdy 20 year old, who only had sex once, didn't drink.....super excited to be invited to the cool party for the first time EVER......doing some naive and dumb things.

Seriously. I'm shocked people are so upset with Naz. He's a young college kid who was drunk and getting peer pressured into a situation he wasn't comfortable in by a girl he was crushing on. Him making poor decisions is pretty much a perfect fit for that character in that scenario.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Seriously. I'm shocked people are so upset with Naz. He's a young college kid who was drunk and getting peer pressured into a situation he wasn't comfortable in by a girl he was crushing on. Him making poor decisions is pretty much a perfect fit for that character in that scenario.

I found it believable, given his age and experience, but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Hard to really make an assumption on how "dumb" Nas is if you've never been a lead suspect in a murder. Great pilot. Very excited for what is to come.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah, Naz is definitely taking a ton of heat, but it's impossible to know what you'd do in that situation. I'd probably be scared for my life, and GTFO as quick as I could also.

I've got pretty decent hopes for this. I think it's going to be one of those shows where there are a lot of twists and turns, in a good way, and everyone watching will have their own unique theory on what went down until we (hopefully) learn the truth.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Saw it a few weeks ago on-demand. didn't know it was released before its premiere. and for 3 consecutive weeks I checked my on demand channel and uttered a few curse words that ep.2 had not yet been released.

The 1st episode was fantastic. I'm in for the ride. hopefully today or tomorrow evening I'll catch up with ep.2.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Saw it a few weeks ago on-demand. didn't know it was released before its premiere. and for 3 consecutive weeks I checked my on demand channel and uttered a few curse words that ep.2 had not yet been released.

The 1st episode was fantastic. I'm in for the ride. hopefully today or tomorrow evening I'll catch up with ep.2.

Ep.2 doesn't come out until Sunday.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Great opening. Main character's actions seemed pretty dumb indeed.
But giving aforementioned explanations (naive, inexperienced college student with a foreign background) should relativize that criticism though.
Not that much of a problem to me.

All about further plot development. Guess we're in for a pretty entertaining but yet disturbing ride that unmasks the flaws + inequities of the american justice system. Having Price on board is reason enough to have high expectations. Cast appears to be pretty good as well. Seems like he isn't featuring that many episodes but I really liked how Camp played that Sgt: Trying to gain Naz' trust + manipulating him. Moreover Turturro seems to be a good fit for the role he's supposed to play. Too bad that we didn't come to see Gandolfini in the lawyer's role though.

Sign me up anyway. Curious about it.

btw, and maybe I'm reading too much into it:
Why did "Trevor" say that he was passing by alone when Naz and him met for the first time?
Little bit suspicious, given that doubtful stare of the second guy he was with.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Great opening. Main character's actions seemed pretty dumb indeed.
But giving aforementioned explanations (naive, inexperienced college student with a foreign background) should relativize that criticism though.
Not that much of a problem to me.

All about further plot development. Guess we're in for a pretty entertaining but yet disturbing ride that unmasks the flaws + inequities of the american justice system. Having Price on board is reason enough to have high expectations. Cast appears to be pretty good as well. Seems like he isn't featuring that many episodes but I really liked how Camp played that Sgt: Trying to gain Naz' trust + manipulating him. Moreover Turturro seems to be a good fit for the role he's supposed to play. Too bad that we didn't come to see Gandolfini in the lawyer's role though.

Sign me up anyway. Curious about it.

btw, and maybe I'm reading too much into it:
Why did "Trevor" say that he was passing by alone when Naz and him met for the first time?
Little bit suspicious, given that doubtful stare of the second guy he was with.

Yeah, I noticed that to. First other possible suspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad