HBO Max (all purpose thread)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well it says they are:

The links for Tubi/Pluto TV are for the animated children's series and VUDU on its site doesn't allow people to stream or purchase Tales from Crypt episodes

Reactions: Hivemind

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
The links for Tubi/Pluto TV are for the animated children's series and VUDU on its site doesn't allow people to stream or purchase Tales from Crypt episodes

A lot of the old shows have complicated rights issues. Streaming wasn't even dreamed of when the contracts were written, so there is often no language that covers it. Good business affairs people would have negotiated deals that are something like "all territories, all methods of distribution" but often they would be limited to "pay television", "broadcast" or "network". Additionally, production companies will often negotiate deals that have a limited term and will revert back to the producer. Traditionally, big production companies would employ "deficit financing" for their shows. They would sell limited rights to the show for an amount less than it cost to produce. That is - if a show cost $10m to produce they would license it to a network for say $8m for the "first-run" rights to broadcast the show, giving them a period of time to premiere and show current re-broadcasts of the show. After that term is done, the rights go back to the production company and they can re-sell the show for re-runs, syndication, or whatever and could potentially make much more money for the $2m they had to pay out of pocket. This still exists for the shrinking linear TV market, but now deals directly for streaming platforms are almost always 100% and they are straight buyouts of the production.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

A lot of the old shows have complicated rights issues. Streaming wasn't even dreamed of when the contracts were written, so there is often no language that covers it. Good business affairs people would have negotiated deals that are something like "all territories, all methods of distribution" but often they would be limited to "pay television", "broadcast" or "network". Additionally, production companies will often negotiate deals that have a limited term and will revert back to the producer. Traditionally, big production companies would employ "deficit financing" for their shows. They would sell limited rights to the show for an amount less than it cost to produce. That is - if a show cost $10m to produce they would license it to a network for say $8m for the "first-run" rights to broadcast the show, giving them a period of time to premiere and show current re-broadcasts of the show. After that term is done, the rights go back to the production company and they can re-sell the show for re-runs, syndication, or whatever and could potentially make much more money for the $2m they had to pay out of pocket. This still exists for the shrinking linear TV market, but now deals directly for streaming platforms are almost always 100% and they are straight buyouts of the production.

yep. Also, in some cases due to shows having music in the background it is causing delays in any streamer doing their thing. The old CBS show cold case, Amazon spent a couple of years sorting out publishing rights to allow them to stream it

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Babylon 5 sticks out

It's owned by WB, so they don't have to pay license fee on it only residuals which seem to be issue for new head who has looked to cut out as much of that as possible

Hopefully it ends up on whatever ad support service they plan to start. They remastered the entire series for its debut on HBO Max back in 2021

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Terrible f***ing moves and taking away 4k to put on higher new pay tier is not looking like popular move

Way to ruin a good thing

Also, they dodged questions on if people who get HBO thru cable subscriptions to channel will continue to get HBO Max,, I mean Max!

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Terrible f***ing moves and taking away 4k to put on higher new pay tier is not looking like popular move

Way to ruin a good thing

Also, they dodged questions on if people who get HBO thru cable subscriptions to channel will continue to get HBO Max,, I mean Max!

John Campea went on a proper rant at the beginning of his show today about the new name.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Way to ruin a good thing

Seems like a total Kendall Roy move.

• Haha
Reactions: John Price

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
John Campea went on a proper rant at the beginning of his show today about the new name.

It's silly that they and others are so upset about this. I think the issue was that there was (were) an HBO streaming service(s) that predated the launch of HBO Max. That's the only reason they kept HBO in the name. In my book that (only slightly) diluted the HBO brand a bit then by putting out all sorts of additional sub-HBO level content on a service bearing its name.

They haven't to date done a good job of pushing the content channels/hubs (HBO, TCM, WB Features, HBO Max Originals, WB Animation, DC, etc). So, by dropping the "HBO" from the name the door is now open further branding those content channels on the service and restoring HBO to its premium place, cleaning up the app navigation, and marketing the breadth of programming they have all together. Do people really think it would have been better to have Honey Boo Boo on "HBO"?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's silly that they and others are so upset about this. I think the issue was that there was (were) an HBO streaming service(s) that predated the launch of HBO Max. That's the only reason they kept HBO in the name. In my book that (only slightly) diluted the HBO brand a bit then by putting out all sorts of additional sub-HBO level content on a service bearing its name.

They haven't to date done a good job of pushing the content channels/hubs (HBO, TCM, WB Features, HBO Max Originals, WB Animation, DC, etc). So, by dropping the "HBO" from the name the door is now open further branding those content channels on the service and restoring HBO to its premium place, cleaning up the app navigation, and marketing the breadth of programming they have all together. Do people really think it would have been better to have Honey Boo Boo on "HBO"?

I wouldn't combine them at all and would keep them on separate streaming services. HBO indicates quality, Honey Boo Boo shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I got an email in the last few days saying that all of my info/account would just transfer over and that is how I get my HBO Max

You might be on to something with MAX! that is an improvement on the logo they came up with

I think the exclamation point is the missing touch, you might still have a future in marketing, I'm not suggesting to quit your day job, yet, but maybe update the resume

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad