GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Start at the top post and within 4 posts Bruins score. Hilarious.
Them blaming Samsonov for that game is peak stupidity. Imagine laying it on Skinner when, first, your team scores 2 or less goals the last 5 games of the series and, second, when the GWG is one of the best goal scorers in the league has a breakaway because the lazy sack of shit skaters let him just blow by them. Sure, lets blame Sammy.

I'd be calling out Oiler fans for that stupidity if they were to blame Skinner for that game or series for that matter and I bet there is a segment of HFOilers that would have done just that.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Them blaming Samsonov for that game is peak stupidity. Imagine laying it on Skinner when, first, your team scores 2 or less goals the last 5 games of the series and, second, when the GWG is one of the best goal scorers in the league has a breakaway because the lazy sack of shit skaters let him just blow by them. Sure, lets blame Sammy.

I'd be calling out Oiler fans for that stupidity if they were to blame Skinner for that game or series for that matter and I bet there is a segment of HFOilers that would have done just that.
Anyone blaming their goaltending is an idiot. You are not winning anything when your best players are no shows and u score 12 in 7

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

They blame everyone except their forwards.

I am sure Keefe will get fired and they will think everything is fixed. He did pretty well with the defense/goaltending shanahan/dubas/Treliving provided.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
While I think Keefe made some decisions to help his team gut out a partial comeback, I think the loss is still down to coaching. The Bs were atrocious and ripe for the picking.

When I look at this Leafs team I see the same issues as the 2017-2022 Oilers - your lines cannot perform better with the star player out than with the star player in. Some of that is on matthews being a floater offensively, waiting for passes and what not, but I think it's more down to coaching.

It seems they are less motivated and less structured when they think they can rely on the nuclear option to bail them out. One thing knob has done well is that depth lines are actually driving play on their own. For the last few years we had too many passengers, going through the motions until mcdrai comes back over the boards. The leafs the same shit, they played with 5x the grit and effort when Matthews was out, and I don't think that can all be laid at matthews feet, despite how funny they narrative is. That's where Keefe failed imo.

But yeah I'll echo the sentiment that people blaming Sammy for game 7 are clowns. Goalie gives up 2 on 30, they did enough to give you a chance to win, if you didn't take it, that's on you. Especially the game winner being a breakaway in OT lmfao.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Who f***ing votes on these things. Matthews is as much a Selke Trophy nominee as Ronald McDonald. The Leaf media probably nominated him for the Norris as well. Laughable but then this league has no credibility left anyway.

Good news is that means he probably didn't get a nom for the Hart, this was their consolation trophy.

Had to pivot when he didn't hit 70.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kelly Hrudy is a special idiot blaming samsonov on that last goal
I am not sure what Samsonov could have done. That puck came out quite a ways in front of him. Would it have been a smart play for him to go that far out of his net with Pasta coming in hard. If he got beat to the puck and Pasta scored he would have been run out of town on a rail. He might still be but at least now it is debatable.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Kelly Hrudy is a special idiot blaming samsonov on that last goal

Remember last week when he said Skinner needed to stay in his net on that fluke stanchion-bounce goal? I've been paying attention to those dump ins in other games since and every goalie leaves the net to play them. I think Hrudey genuinely doesn't understand modern goaltending.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Who f***ing votes on these things. Matthews is as much a Selke Trophy nominee as Ronald McDonald. The Leaf media probably nominated him for the Norris as well. Laughable but then this league has no credibility left anyway.

The hockey media doesn't watch enough games to actually know which players are good defensively. It isn't as easily quantifiable as offensive production.

If the NHL left Bergeron's name on the ballot he probably still would've won this year haha.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

The media votes on these things. Their votes are just based on reputation and whatever sounds like a good story

This is why everyone has to say "Mcdavid almost won the Hart trophy unanimously" last year, because some guy in rural New York who writes a column for a magazine with a circulation of 5000 people didn't think Mcdavid's 64 goal/150 point season qualified him to be one of the top 3 players in the NHL that year.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Dang that’s cringe. I’m sure there are a lot of Leafs kids out there who want a Marner jersey but their parents can’t afford it (probably switched to Nylander now though) ;)
It's a rite of spring though. But that is true. Take it to the second hand store for a donation.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Let's not forget Toronto has 14.5 million in LTIR used

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Remember last week when he said Skinner needed to stay in his net on that fluke stanchion-bounce goal? I've been paying attention to those dump ins in other games since and every goalie leaves the net to play them. I think Hrudey genuinely doesn't understand modern goaltending.
99 times out of 100, the puck rims around, goalie stops it and away they go. This was the one time. Hrudey taking an opportunity to rip on the Oilers is like leaving a kid alone in a candy store.

I doubt they'll ever get rid of Matthews unless he asks for it. Their fanbase love Big Papi, I think it's Marner , the coach and Shanahan. Treveling is not so bright but he basically just got there. Agree that they're stuck with Tavares.
I doubt they will either. I threw his name out because Marner won’t get the return they think they will. Nylander is practically their only playoff performer and Tavares is overpaid by about 8 million. Reading the Leafs board, some are on board for trading Matthews too-lol. The guy simply wilts in tough games and feasts on easier competition. There’s a reason why they won 2 straight games with him out of the lineup and lost 4 with him in.

I think they’ll get rid of Marner & Tavares though, they’ll just have to max retain on Tavares is all. He holds all the cards where he goes so he may not be willing to go anywhere which is hilarious in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad