HBO Max (all purpose thread)

Sep 19, 2008
Good news, the ad free plan is now 7 dollars per month US for 6 months. At that price you can't say no

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good news, the ad free plan is now 7 dollars per month US for 6 months. At that price you can't say no

I signed up around Christmas of last year to watch WW 1984 and also watched a few other movies that were on there while also in the theaters. Ultimately it was too much for what it delivered and I was paying $15 or $16 a month for it, so I canceled my subscription last week. If it is now $7/month that's a lot more reasonable.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There are slowly bringing it here to Europe but the problem here in the UK is that so much of the content is on SkyTV or NOWonline--that I can see Sky pushing back on some of the shows because they help pay for GOT and a few other things

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The HBO roku app itself is still straight trash though, crashes constantly. You'd think an organization like HBO would be able to hire competent developers.

I have 2 Roku devices and this has literally never happened once to me with either.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I signed up around Christmas of last year to watch WW 1984 and also watched a few other movies that were on there while also in the theaters. Ultimately it was too much for what it delivered and I was paying $15 or $16 a month for it, so I canceled my subscription last week. If it is now $7/month that's a lot more reasonable.

In case it wasn't clear, it's that price for only 6 months. It's damage control because they just pulled the HBO channel from Amazon Prime, which was estimated to cost them 5 million subscribers, and are hoping that this promotion will lure some of those lost subscribers to HBO Max.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
HBO is literally the WORST out of all the steaming services. I have more loading problems and error messages than all the other steaming services combined.

Sep 19, 2008
HBO is literally the WORST out of all the steaming services. I have more loading problems and error messages than all the other steaming services combined.
I heard a lot of good things about HBO Max but sadly it doesn't allow downloads to SD cards which is stupid

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You should try Discovery+, by far the worst and I also have HBO Max. Discovery+ charges you money...yet still has ads and reduces feature forcing you to buy the premium version. One of those features is syncing with your telly and currently does not have the app available on PS4/PS5. Moreover, the navigation menu is absolutely rubbish, delayed, and its rewind/forwarding system is as random as you could make it since it doesn't give you a preview of the clip you're forwarding to.

Reactions: John Price

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The HBO roku app itself is still straight trash though, crashes constantly. You'd think an organization like HBO would be able to hire competent developers.
You'd think, heck even the Disney+ one is far from great. It no longer has crashing issues but I find it so basic...maybe I am just use to years of Netflix and how it works and stuff.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
renaming this and bumping it up as an all purpose HBO Max thread.

Lots of great stuff on HBO Max these days. For my (biased) money it has the best content at the moment.

I am really enjoying Tokyo Vice and Winning Time (once I got over the stylization). Our Flag Mean Death was quite enjoyable too.

The Flight Attendant S2 and The Batman now on there, and Hacks S2 is coming up soon as well.

I think the intent is to merge Discovery+ into HBO Max so it will be nice to have the hundreds of House Hunters International I watch on the same service (and Pig Royalty too). I will be curious to see if the new Discovery overlords will want to rename the service though.

On a related note, WBD decided to pull the plug on CNN+ after only three weeks. Good move imo. I just hope they don't roll it onto another service without some major overhaul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The last few episodes of Tokyo Vice have been very enjoyable after what I thought was a very slow start. The acting is incredible, especially the actors playing Ishida, Edelstein and Sato. I love all three of them and hope to see more of them after this show. The Backstreet Boys scene with Edelstein and Sato was hilarious and felt absolutely real.

Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off was really good also. It felt like a direct sequel to Dogtown and Z-Boys so if you liked that I would definitely recommend Until the Wheels Fall Off.

Reactions: kook10
Sep 19, 2008
I brought in when it was 7 a month and haven't bothered unsubscribing. Just so much good content on this service that I'm more than happy to pay 15 dollars a month or whatever the full price is, for it.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Super excited that Barry is about to return for s3. Noho Hank is hilarious.

Has there been a good mini Crime/Dramas lately? They had Mare last year. Not sure if there’s been anything similar released since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad