TV: HBO: Girls

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Okay, so, episode two was much less obnoxious and much less melodramatic and thus much better. It still isn't really funny. It's good and I enjoyed it but it just isn't that funny. Like I'll smirk, but I've yet to actually laugh.

On a side note. I know the four girls are supposed to be different, they're just so different from one another that it bothers me.

I agree with this. I am viewing this more as a drama comedy, not a comedy drama. I'm still very intrigued by the show, and will stick it out for at least a while. I just hope that the other 3 girls become at least a little bit likable. Out of the three support characters, the promiscuous one is the most annoying to me.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This show is like 'How To Make it In America' for me. I don't like any of the characters, their personalities or what they do. But I watch it because it does intrigue me and I guess I get some sort of enjoyment out of watching these people that I don't like. I dunno, it makes me mad though.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The second episode earned a legitimate laugh from me...something the first episode never came close to doing. I loved when that pansy boyfriend of Marnie's walked out and said, "Goodbye, ladies. I mean, sluts. You're a ****." I've gotten the old, "you're too nice" bit before, so I could at least identify with that guy (unlike that weird, flower-child friend).

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
A guy named GOB Bluth, complaining about over-privileged pieces of **** feeling sorry for themselves.

My my.

I don't know how you could compare the two shows...

The situations/characters in AD are ridiculous and that's the point. It's poking fun at the upper classes if anything.

Watched both episodes and probably won't be tuning in for another. I had enough insufferable hipsters to last me a life time when I was in university.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I don't know how you could compare the two shows...

The situations/characters in AD are ridiculous and that's the point. It's poking fun at the upper classes if anything.

Watched both episodes and probably won't be tuning in for another. I had enough insufferable hipsters to last me a life time when I was in university.

Thats exactly whats going on here....except they are making fun of hipsters...and its a little more subtle....

Should add, I can't stand the British chick...

Last edited:

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Thats exactly whats going on here....except they are making fun of hipsters...and its a little more subtle....

Should add, I can't stand the British chick...

That's the problem though. It's too subtle. I know too many people who watch this show and go "lol they're just like me." And despite it's intentions, to me it's still a show about a bunch of privileged, disaffected 20-somethings moping over how unfulfilled they are.

No 40 year old trust fund kid would look at Gob Bluth and say "wow, it's like they've known me my whole life!" And unless your dad is Bernie Madoff or something, the entire premise of the show isn't exactly relatable. All the characters are so off-the-wall, it's intents are fairly obvious.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I watched the second episode and I look at this show more as a half hour drama than I do a comedy. For being a comedy, I haven't laughed once, but I still do like the show so far. It's a bit hard to describe. Maybe it's just an HBO half hour show I want to get invested in (Also saw the premiere of Veep with more attention and thought it was better the second time around than the first) because I haven't got invested in other HBO shows other than Game of Thrones. I want to like this show, but if it's supposed to be a comedy, it's not a very good one.

Protest the Hero

Mar 13, 2011
Ontario
The second episode earned a legitimate laugh from me...something the first episode never came close to doing. I loved when that pansy boyfriend of Marnie's walked out and said, "Goodbye, ladies. I mean, sluts. You're a ****." I've gotten the old, "you're too nice" bit before, so I could at least identify with that guy (unlike that weird, flower-child friend).

See I thought I'd identify with that guy, but he's a major pansy. He takes being a nice guy to it's upper limits.

I'm surprised people who aren't calling it funny didn't laugh at the interview. Replace Lena Dunham with Seth Rogen during that exchange and you have a Judd Apatow movie. I have a feeling people don't find chubby women as endearing or entertaining as chubby guys.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
See I thought I'd identify with that guy, but he's a major pansy. He takes being a nice guy to it's upper limits.

I'm surprised people who aren't calling it funny didn't laugh at the interview. Replace Lena Dunham with Seth Rogen during that exchange and you have a Judd Apatow movie. I have a feeling people don't find chubby women as endearing or entertaining as chubby guys.

I personally don't find Seth Rogen very funny anymore (unless he's trying something new as far as characters go, which is rare) and not all Judd Apatow movies are hits, so I think this is kind of an unfair point to make. There have also been lots of "imperfect" women who've had successful comedy careers over the years, so don't try and make it a gender issue.

Another problem with you're comparison is that Lena Dunham's character isn't really endearing. I don't think she's supposed to be endearing either, unlike the majority of the character's Seth Rogen's played over the years.

The show wants to be raw, edgy, ground-breaking, and funny all at the same time. Unfortunately, it's been unable to balance all these elements, in my opinion.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Just watched the pilot. I greatly enjoyed it.

I thought the characters in this show were written pretty well in comparison to other shows that correlate around groups of women. Seems more honest and sincere.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched the pilot, though it was meh. Will continue to watch it though because I'm not exactly sure why, actually.

Protest the Hero

Mar 13, 2011
Ontario
I personally don't find Seth Rogen very funny anymore (unless he's trying something new as far as characters go, which is rare) and not all Judd Apatow movies are hits, so I think this is kind of an unfair point to make. There have also been lots of "imperfect" women who've had successful comedy careers over the years, so don't try and make it a gender issue.

Another problem with you're comparison is that Lena Dunham's character isn't really endearing. I don't think she's supposed to be endearing either, unlike the majority of the character's Seth Rogen's played over the years.

The show wants to be raw, edgy, ground-breaking, and funny all at the same time. Unfortunately, it's been unable to balance all these elements, in my opinion.

I wouldn't really call Seth Rogen's characters very endearing either. I agree that she's not trying to be endearing, but neither are Don Draper or Walter White. People are saying she's a spoiled brat, as if that's some sort of flaw in the show, but that's the entire point of the first episode.

Does the show really want to be edgy and ground-breaking though?

Lena is just writing the show she wants to write, I don't think she's going out of her way to add sex scenes to be edgy, but she could be adding them in just because it's on HBO, I feel Game of Thrones has that problem with some unnecessary scenes.

The writing has been my favourite part of the show, but I understand that everyone has different opinions. The conversations in this show are great imo, and for some reason I do find Lena really endearing.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
I wouldn't really call Seth Rogen's characters very endearing either. I agree that she's not trying to be endearing, but neither are Don Draper or Walter White. People are saying she's a spoiled brat, as if that's some sort of flaw in the show, but that's the entire point of the first episode.

I'm not saying that her being a spoiled brat isn't a flaw in the show. I just don't find the idea of a show about a spoiled brat coming to terms with reality to be very intriguing, personally.

Does the show really want to be edgy and ground-breaking though?

Lena is just writing the show she wants to write, I don't think she's going out of her way to add sex scenes to be edgy, but she could be adding them in just because it's on HBO, I feel Game of Thrones has that problem with some unnecessary scenes.

of course I can't say for sure whether the show is trying to be edgy. All I have to go on is how these scenes appear to me. By throwing that fairly graphic and awkward scene in the second episode felt like it was meant to be there in order to shock viewers. No lead in or anything, just BAM, naked Lena Dunham.

I feel like I'd be able to enjoy this show more if I hadn't known that she was the writer. I can't disassociate her from the character she's created. It's like "yeah im not conventionally good looking, but I'm gonna put myself naked on TV anyway! Yeah!" It's too self-aware.

It kind of reminds me of Seth Rogen's character in Superbad. It was alright, nothing to phone home about. But then I read about how hard he tried to make himself look young enough to be one of the main characters, but was unsuccessful. From that point on, the majority of the scenes involving Rogen's character just felt like him trying to give himself more face time.

I realize that my criticisms are pretty deeply entrenched in my own personal feelings though. I don't particularly like the show, but I wouldn't shame anyone for watching it.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
It kind of reminds me of Seth Rogen's character in Superbad. It was alright, nothing to phone home about. But then I read about how hard he tried to make himself look young enough to be one of the main characters, but was unsuccessful. From that point on, the majority of the scenes involving Rogen's character just felt like him trying to give himself more face time.
Maybe you should read less then. :sarcasm:

Can't imagine how Seth Rogen would even attempt at making himself seem younger - that voice is not one of a high schooler. But still, he was great in the role that he did have, so no complaints from me.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I'm sure this episode says something important and poignant about young people--women in general--struggling and trying to find their way in this wacky world. But seriously, all I took from this episode was:

Allison Williams with her hand down her pants. Sold!

Protest the Hero

Mar 13, 2011
Ontario
Another good episode imo. Lonely Island guy was such a dbag though, don't understand how his character would be desirable at all, but I don't understand women.

Hannah's twitter: I just poured water on perfectly good bread so I wouldn't eat, I still ate it though, because I'm an animal.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I'm sure this episode says something important and poignant about young people--women in general--struggling and trying to find their way in this wacky world. But seriously, all I took from this episode was:

Allison Williams with her hand down her pants. Sold!

Lol. That was nice. I like that song they played at the end too. I have to say this is pretty impressive work for a young woman of 24 to write, direct and produce herself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad