TV: HBO: Girls

Protest the Hero

Mar 13, 2011
Ontario
I really enjoyed it, I was afraid reading all the "sex and the city for the new generation" articles, but I still liked it despite being a female centric show.

Really like Lena Dunham, as an actress and writer.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Watched it last night, really good. Really strong emotional center to the show with Hannah. I think this one has some strong legs and will be continually successful.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Just finished watching it. Thought it was good. I like shows like this even though it's not for everyone, particularly men, lol.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Just finished watching it. Thought it was good. I like shows like this even though it's not for everyone, particularly men, lol.

I thought it was decent, definitely something different. And as mentioned don't think it will be a topic with friends of mine:laugh:

Good thing GOT is before;)

Oh and the friend is pretty hot.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just finished watching it and as a comedy, I didn't laugh once, but I was invested in the characters. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to see where it goes.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I liked it. Was fairly witty, had a few funny lines, and was overall quite interesting. Anything Apatow touches seems to turn out at the very least watch-able.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
With the exception of Brian William's daughter, I didn't find much about the show interesting. I'll give it another shot since it's HBO, but there's something irritating about the creature known as the "woe is me hipster." And this show is chock full of them.

Oh, and how about Hannah's memoirs, which appeared to be about four pages? Get a job. :laugh:

GOB Bluth

Feb 19, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
With the exception of Brian William's daughter, I didn't find much about the show interesting. I'll give it another shot since it's HBO, but there's something irritating about the creature known as the "woe is me hipster." And this show is chock full of them.

Oh, and how about Hannah's memoirs, which appeared to be about four pages? Get a job. :laugh:

lol this. I love Apatow but this show's pilot really sucked. Seemed like a bunch of hipster over privileged pieces of **** feeling sorry for themselves. I have no idea how they're even going to make more episodes of this show. Can't see it making it that long as a series. William's daughter is beautiful though.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
lol this. I love Apatow but this show's pilot really sucked. Seemed like a bunch of hipster over privileged pieces of **** feeling sorry for themselves. I have no idea how they're even going to make more episodes of this show. Can't see it making it that long as a series. William's daughter is beautiful though.

Not that I'm comparing this to Seinfeld. But isn't this what most comedy's do since Seinfeld? Just funny occurrences/situations that happen to people in everyday life? And since this is pretty much a "unique angle" they could play with some different storylines....

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

I think that was the point.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Well, I detested the pilot (mainly because of the characters) but decided to give episode 2 a try. After all, it's HBO and it received good reviews. I'm glad that I did because I enjoyed tonight's episode much more. Granted, I'm not totally sold yet, but I didn't find the main character and her cohorts quite as obnoxious. I actually laughed a couple times, too. Of course, it's still a show geared toward women. Period jokes aren't quite up my alley.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
Okay, so, episode two was much less obnoxious and much less melodramatic and thus much better. It still isn't really funny. It's good and I enjoyed it but it just isn't that funny. Like I'll smirk, but I've yet to actually laugh.

On a side note. I know the four girls are supposed to be different, they're just so different from one another that it bothers me.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I hate every character on this show and it's not funny at all. Is it realistic? Yeah, there's a lot of idiots like these people out there. I don't care, I'm not gonna spend my time watching a show full of people that I hate interacting with in real life.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Of course it is but for something that's supposed to be a comedy satire it just comes off as a documentary of people I know in real life without any laughs. Maybe it just hits too close to home to me without being funny. Who knows?

A guy named GOB Bluth, complaining about over-privileged pieces of **** feeling sorry for themselves.

My my.

Protest the Hero

Mar 13, 2011
Ontario
Still enjoying this show even though I'm apparently not supposed to. I thought the interview was especially hilarious. Like most here I'm guessing, I don't really feel attached for anyone in this show, except Hannah, but I like Lena's writing so much that I'll continue watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad