TV: HBO: Girls

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Glad to be reading the same "WTF?" reaction to Shoshana. What's really weird is the post episode discussion between the producers. They were making it out like Shoshana is so smart and moving on... Still, while she was right about their friendship, how the hell is she engaged that fast? Serious question. A week? A month? A day??? And she still comes off as really shallow with that comment about her other "friends" at the party.

Hannah moving away makes sense. Upstate New York makes more sense I feel than Michigan too.

Adam's sister is scary.

Interested to see what next week brings. Hannah having the baby and a big get-together? Not sure what else there is at this point. Marnie is... Jessa and Adam. Shoshana... Ray with the new girlfriend. Not sure what else is left.

That's my expectation as well. Series finale will be a few months in the future after Hannah has had the baby.

Explanation of where Shosh has been all season: http://www.avclub.com/article/girls-didnt-just-forget-about-shoshanna-season-253283

Dunham added: “There is nothing worse than literally realizing someone has blocked you—I’m not going to say it’s happened to me recently and I’m not going to say it hasn’t—on all formats so you have absolutely no way to find out about their life except for basically hunting them down in the most humiliating way possible.”

During an impromptu bathroom conversation, Shoshanna explains why she believes the foursome should stop trying to make their friendship work in a measured monologue that implies breaking these ties is clearly something she’s thought about. “I have come to realize how exhausting and narcissistic and ultimately boring this whole dynamic is, and I finally feel brave enough to create some distance for myself,” she says. It’s a brutal and not entirely inaccurate assessment. “Shoshanna’s been living her life, girl,” Konner said. “Living her truth. She’s sick of these people.”

Was very in line with the "Beach House" scene where Shosh unloads on all of them, but this one was a bit more calculated and real.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How is Shosh supposed to be the bigger person and "in the right" in that scene?

She came off as shallow, pretentious, and a little bit insane in that entire situation.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

She came off as shallow, pretentious, and a little bit insane in that entire situation.

EXACTLY my thoughts seeing the post show discussion. Still, she is right, but considering how shallow she is at the same time it's hypocritical. That handbag comment was ridiculous. They failed to address that post show.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

EXACTLY my thoughts seeing the post show discussion. Still, she is right, but considering how shallow she is at the same time it's hypocritical. That handbag comment was ridiculous. They failed to address that post show.

I think it was just a long time coming. I wouldn't call her "right" but I would say that she's "moving on" as she needs to.

Also want to shout out my appreciation of the humans ****ting in the street conversation. There's a lot of **** here in NYC... gotta wonder, somtimes.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think it was just a long time coming. I wouldn't call her "right" but I would say that she's "moving on" as she needs to.

Also want to shout out my appreciation of the humans ****ting in the street conversation. There's a lot of **** here in NYC... gotta wonder, somtimes.

Totally agree about her moving on and that to a degree she needs to, but she still seems like shallow Shosh who is trying to keep up with the Joneses. As much as they all annoy me apart from Ray, none of her new friends or the people she ever really bumps into see any better. Indeed they seem worse. I guess I just figured that someday she'd try and win Ray back as ridiculous as that probably sounds.

Haha, that's crazy. That was pretty funny when they were talking about that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's my expectation as well. Series finale will be a few months in the future after Hannah has had the baby.

Explanation of where Shosh has been all season: http://www.avclub.com/article/girls-didnt-just-forget-about-shoshanna-season-253283

Was very in line with the "Beach House" scene where Shosh unloads on all of them, but this one was a bit more calculated and real.

That's how I thought of it when I thought about it. People get new friends. They're not going the direction she is going, but she is confident that what she is doing is most healthy for her.

Think back to the story with the Jamba Jeans, she also has felt like she's missed out because she chose to stick with them, and I guess that was just a metaphor for it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
All that stuff with Shoshanna happened really quick. Like, she was engaged? Were we supposed to know that she was moving forward with her life, was this just so sudden and spur-of-the-moment, or was that a trick in the writing where we've felt that Lena Dunham was so self-absorbed with all her screen time, that in doing do, it just chose to ignore that Shoshanna had all of this going on since WE were so absorbed with Hannah? I feel we saw the journey (or lack theirof) of Marnie, Hannah, and Jessa (two of which had been married) that it just skipped the person we actually wanted to see progress. It's like the times Shosh was on screen, it was just her checking in with the audience that she's fine, or doing whatever she's doing, and I guess didn't need to know about it since she, in her world, was cutting off the other three as major forces of her life, and thus her story just wasn't as important.

At any rate, I was pretty pissed when I saw the episode and she's like "I'm engaged" and it's like "wtf is going on? Last we saw you were coming home from Japan with your tail between your legs and you were just out hanging around Ray last week!"

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
For as much as this show was analyzed, then praised, then largely dismissed, and how much Dunham herself was lauded for a while, this show provided at least one genuine laugh out loud moment per week.
It had me when I saw this scene, starting at 1:30 in.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'll agree with that. The show generally delivered a laugh or two a week.

I think there's a bit too much criticism for the show. For me personally they just were uninteresting after a while and the show followed suit. Ray is the only one who remained remotely interesting to me. Actually a lot like Sex in the City for me personally as I ended disliking all the female characters in that show as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They kind of tied everyone up last week. Except Marnie, her narcissism and subsequent about-face means she doesn't get one.

I think I get the message, it's just that this is a show about girls and their experiences, and it ended with one of them as the only figure that mattered.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I didn't know what else they could have done. I do think it's kinda crazy how the whole "voice of a generation" tag was put on Dunham. Maybe she invited that, maybe she didn't. I just don't get why it couldn't be a show that told a story instead of a representation of self-absorbed millennials or some crap. People go separate ways, in and out of each other's lives. People change.

I think the last episode was a little heavy handed. Hannah has that confrontation with her mother where she acts like a brat, then immediately sees a teenage girl acting the same way. A bit too much there. Still, I'm definitely glad I watched the whole series and I'll miss it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The episode felt more like an epilogue to last week's goodbye tour.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I just feel as though they could have shown you down the road a bit. Hannah teaching, Marnie throwing up her lunch, Adam and Jessa still fighting, Shoshana getting divorced, Ray becoming an Alderman or something, Elijah on Broadway... you know that sort of stuff.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They've never really been about telling or predicting the future. They left all those characters in a spot where they needed to be at that time. Nothing would have happened over the next 5 months to change that

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
They've never really been about telling or predicting the future. They left all those characters in a spot where they needed to be at that time. Nothing would have happened over the next 5 months to change that

While part of my post was in jest, had say Shoshana had a divorce, or Ray got engaged or you still see Adam and Jessa fighting then there would have been changes or perhaps in the latter example foreshadowing. Either way it's not a big deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
While part of my post was in jest, had say Shoshana had a divorce, or Ray got engaged or you still see Adam and Jessa fighting then there would have been changes or perhaps in the latter example foreshadowing. Either way it's not a big deal.

Did I miss something with Shosh? She was hanging out with Ray, who among the cast, had become her main squeeze, but he had went off with Abigail, and literally the next time we saw her, she was engaged. So I could definitely see both ways that Shosh did what was best for her in breaking off from the group, but also that she became impulsive and destructive to herself. It was like growth of here character from Episode 1.1 to 6.8 - including highlighting her time in Japan, and in 6.9 she was completely past the other side of the spectrum.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I just think that she was engaged over night. I mean it could have been a small montage of clips here. Adam and Jessa fighting and say Shoshana unhappy with something about her new husband. I don't know. I actually feel as though the door is wide open for a return of some sort, like an HBO film.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I just think that she was engaged over night. I mean it could have been a small montage of clips here. Adam and Jessa fighting and say Shoshana unhappy with something about her new husband. I don't know. I actually feel as though the door is wide open for a return of some sort, like an HBO film.

That is the problem. It is just so out of no where.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Weird bump but I decided to watch the show after seeing Get Out because oh my god is Allison Williams perfect and I wanted to know what Kylo Ren was like on the show. Hannah is absolutely insufferable and once the 2nd season started I just began skipping any scene with her that didn't involve any of the other main characters. All the guys in this show besides Booth and Desi were amazing but **** Booth and Desi. I really enjoyed Marnie and Jessa. Shoshana was okay. Elijah and Tad were the best. All in all the show was okay outside of Marnie and Charlie's day in Central Park which was amazing and pretty heartbreaking. I really wish they would've ended up together.

Biggest takeaway was what I already knew which is that Allison Williams is just perfect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad