TV: HBO: Girls

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"Quit" after season 2. Decided on a whim to watch season 3 on HBO GO.

Not bad. I mean, not really good, either.

Best episode is hands down "Beach House" in my opinion. Shoshanna was great in that, and I think she is the best female character on the show.

Adam and Ray are great, but there really isn't anyone who is 100% redeemable, or relateable. And I understand that it makes it more 'realistic', but it's hard to give a **** when you don't like everyone on the show. And it's not like they're an anti-hero like Tony Soprano or House, etc..., they're just... blegh. Marnie, Hannah, Jessa (most of the time).

That said, I'll probably catch up on season 4 at some point this weekend :laugh: this isn't a show I'm going to watch live. I'll catch the episodes on GO when I have time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I watched the first episode of the season. Damn Conan for spoiling that scene in the beginning... :laugh: :naughty:

I actually laughed a few times during the episode.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Anybody still on this? Two eps left. Last night's was really interesting.

I also went back and watched "Beach House" this weekend. I really think that's one of the best 30 minutes of television of the past five years.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
IMO the show has progressively gotten worse. The only character that I find remotely interesting is Ray and believe it or not he's probably the most normal regular character on the show. The girls themselves especially turn me off.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My daughter watches (or at least watched) this show. My wife checked out an episode on the on-demand. She watched about 15 minutes before she said: "We're too old for this ****." then turned it off.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
IMO the show has progressively gotten worse. The only character that I find remotely interesting is Ray and believe it or not he's probably the most normal regular character on the show. The girls themselves especially turn me off.

Hey I feel the exact same way! Like someone else said though, I'm sticking with this to the end.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Made a lot of sense, though. Closure on the fact that they're not going to end up together. Their history is just that... history.

Yeah, I get all that, but it all happened in the span of 24 hours. And by "WTF" I meant who actually does that?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah, I get all that, but it all happened in the span of 24 hours. And by "WTF" I meant who actually does that?

I think it fit in line with their characters, which have given us quite a few WTF moments over the course of the show :laugh: But I get it, too. The 24 hour thing made sense. They were both on a huge high about making it all work, and then the crash when they realize the "honeymoon" period is over and that it's real, and it's not feasible.

Happy to say that I don't think I know anyone in real life like anyone on this show. Or maybe I'm not happy to say that, things would always be interesting, at least, if not detestable, at times.

Still need more Shosh.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think it fit in line with their characters, which have given us quite a few WTF moments over the course of the show :laugh: But I get it, too. The 24 hour thing made sense. They were both on a huge high about making it all work, and then the crash when they realize the "honeymoon" period is over and that it's real, and it's not feasible.

Happy to say that I don't think I know anyone in real life like anyone on this show. Or maybe I'm not happy to say that, things would always be interesting, at least, if not detestable, at times.

Still need more Shosh.

Yeah, I'd say it definitely fit their characters. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say that it's not necessarily probably that crazy.

Curious what they do with Shoshana. She seems to have been marginalized a bit.

I'm just glad things seem to have worked out for Ray.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've been into Marnie and her battles with narcissism.

I've caught up when I've had to, but the only thing keeping me in is the promise I made to myself when I started to follow it through to the end.

As for my girl Shosh, I think they just ran out of things to do with her.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm curious to see how they leave things:

Marnie: Is she essentially done? Were it down to me I'd have someone sit down with her and tell her she needs to eat more. Seriously though, I suppose they could have her pursue a "real" career.

Shoshana: Maybe have her go on a date with a guy and leave it as though it will work out? I mean I wouldn't know what to do with her at this point as I feel as though she's been written out of it to a degree.

Adam and Jessa: Last episode seemed to be her turning a corner and him realizing how out there his idea was. Maybe they settle down literally and not figuratively? Or they could just both be crazy leaving you think they'll always be that way together or eventually implode their relationship.

Hannah: Has the baby on her own with Elijah as support.

Elijah: Starts to progress with this play.

I think the last two episodes will be more about mending fences than anything else.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

Marnie: Is she essentially done? Were it down to me I'd have someone sit down with her and tell her she needs to eat more. Seriously though, I suppose they could have her pursue a "real" career.

Shoshana: Maybe have her go on a date with a guy and leave it as though it will work out? I mean I wouldn't know what to do with her at this point as I feel as though she's been written out of it to a degree.

Adam and Jessa: Last episode seemed to be her turning a corner and him realizing how out there his idea was. Maybe they settle down literally and not figuratively? Or they could just both be crazy leaving you think they'll always be that way together or eventually implode their relationship.

I think the last two episodes will be more about mending fences than anything else.

Agree with most but I think Hannah ends up leaving the city and having the kid back in Michigan

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Agree with most but I think Hannah ends up leaving the city and having the kid back in Michigan

I never thought of that. Only thing that would make me question it would be her father is in New York now.

I think everything will be reconciled with everyone (even Adam and Jessa) after she has the baby.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I just want a happy/optimistic ending for Shosh.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Glad to be reading the same "WTF?" reaction to Shoshana. What's really weird is the post episode discussion between the producers. They were making it out like Shoshana is so smart and moving on... Still, while she was right about their friendship, how the hell is she engaged that fast? Serious question. A week? A month? A day??? And she still comes off as really shallow with that comment about her other "friends" at the party.

Hannah moving away makes sense. Upstate New York makes more sense I feel than Michigan too.

Adam's sister is scary.

Interested to see what next week brings. Hannah having the baby and a big get-together? Not sure what else there is at this point. Marnie is... Jessa and Adam. Shoshana... Ray with the new girlfriend. Not sure what else is left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad