TV: HBO: Girls

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Seeing how some of you hate this show is actually welcome. It's nice to see how someone who doesn't like the show feels. I love this show, personally. I think it's very well done, realistic, and it encapsulates my generation perfectly. Every character is flawed and resides in the gray area, and that makes it easier to relate to them while disliking them. I totally understand why some of you would hate the show, but those same reasons are why other people love the show.
Do you bathe with your friends? As for every character is flawed and resides in the gray area, that's nothing original. Every characters are flawed on every show nowadays. Girls just gives out the image that it's something original and different, but like the hipsters, there's nothing really special and is just like the rest of the mass.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I just watched episode 9 (Hannah's grandmother was ill) and she is still such a despicable person. I loved when her almost equally weird cousin described writers as self-centered and Hannah's reaction... :laugh: Though after seeing her mother and sisters arguing, not surprised they turned out the way they did. :eek:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
1 step forward, 2 giant steps back. It's after episodes like that that make me wonder why the hell I still bother with Girls. There are hardly any redeemable characters on this show. Hannah is terrible. I can't believe a guy like Adam would ever seriously date this crazy broad for longer than a year. I fail to see what makes any of these characters aside from one or two remotely interesting. That doesn't necessarily make them any more contemporary or realistic either. I'm not sure it's just a case of girls finding their way in the big city and getting caught up.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
"Everything's my business" Sums up Hannah perfectly. :laugh: Quite a selfish, bitter, jealous person. Seeing Jessa just walk in and get a job Marnie would've taken/wanted was hilarious.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hannah was just insufferable throughout that entire episode last week, especially towards the end.

Yup. Has a well paying job which she was clearly good at->decides to quit. Boyfreind gets an acting gig->gets jealous due to lack attention to her. Marnie seems to have finally shown some talent with the duet->she expects it to go wrong, shows frowny face when it doesn't. Good work by Lena Dunham actually to create such a character and for her portrayal. The ultimate heel. :laugh:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I looked at the description for an episode a few weeks ago and it read something along the lines of:

xxx gets a new job. xxx worries about her relationship. xxx has a surprise planned for xxx.

I got a nice chuckle out of the fact that you can swap the names of any of the characters in the show into this format and you have a new episode of Girls.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
When will this horrible horrible show get axed? Lena Dunham has zero talent and Girls sucks. It isn't the modern day version of Sex and the City, its just a bad show with stupid story lines, stupid actresses and no general purpose to the plot. Like what is the show trying to say? That girls in their mid 20s are usually self centered, arrogant and have very little meaning and direction in their lives?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Any of you watched Tiny Furniture?

I was shocked that the film made it into The Criterion Collection, because it was vastly inferior to many of the other films there, and it stuck out like a sore thumb. Then I found out that Lena Dunham's mom "donated" to the company.
:shakehead

Honestly, she is just a rich spoiled brat, and she is not as talented as she wants the rest of the world to believe.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I watched one episode, and I was done. It is just a terrible show, and there is no need for all the gratuitous nudity and all the explicit sex scenes.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
There's no need for nudity involving Lena Dunham. The other girls on the other hand...

Also should not be naked.
;)

Unfortunately, the most attractive one is never naked. Oh well. I respect Allison Williams' choice, and I applaud her efforts to get noticed without taking her clothes off.

member 51464

I saw a girl on metro who looked just like Shoshonna today.

It was not, in fact, the actress.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
well that was terrible. thank goodness it's over, I'm done watching it. I honestly have no explanation as to why I allowed myself to watch it for this long. perhaps some of the soundtrack, it had its touching moments I guess. But it's awful, bottom line.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
well that was terrible. thank goodness it's over, I'm done watching it. I honestly have no explanation as to why I allowed myself to watch it for this long. perhaps some of the soundtrack, it had its touching moments I guess. But it's awful, bottom line.

The problem with structureless TV shows is that unless they're very, very high quality (Louie, etc.) they're completely unwatchable for a subsequent viewings.

I gave up after s2 - what happened this season?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Nothing, it was all over the place. There was almost no plot at all. All the characters got progressively worse as the season went on in terms of behaviour. The one guy I didn't like at all, Adam, turned out to be decent by the end, and so was Ray. They crammed too much into the finale as well. Nothing relevant in terms of characters development or study. Didn't shed any realistic light on the human condition and society today, just a bunch of pretentious ******** is all. Spoiled, selfish white kids and their "problems".

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Nothing, it was all over the place. There was almost no plot at all. All the characters got progressively worse as the season went on in terms of behaviour. The one guy I didn't like at all, Adam, turned out to be decent by the end, and so was Ray. They crammed too much into the finale as well. Nothing relevant in terms of characters development or study. Didn't shed any realistic light on the human condition and society today, just a bunch of pretentious ******** is all. Spoiled, selfish white kids and their "problems".

There was actually quite a bit of character development. Adam has evolved immensely, Ray has as well. All of the girls showed vulnerabilities that we'd only glimpsed at before. Hannah's selfishness and self-absorption was exacerbated, no doubt.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I may be the only one here but I thought that was the best season of Girls so far. The finale was pretty decent television and Shoshanna was heartbreaking in her scene with Ray.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I may be the only one here but I thought that was the best season of Girls so far. The finale was pretty decent television and Shoshanna was heartbreaking in her scene with Ray.

I actually enjoyed this one as well. It was a bit all over the place at times but there was character development, more funny moments and good drama this season. I agree with the scene between Shosh and Ray and the finale in general. I was expecting the performance to go to hell with Hannah and Marnie disturbing the guys before the show but I'm glad it din't happen. Was this a season or series finale?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I saw an interview with LD on the CBC. Is this show worth watching?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I saw an interview with LD on the CBC. Is this show worth watching?

Was it the Q interview? She came across quite good in it and I enjoyed it. Reading my comments from a few months ago, seems like I was a tad harsh. It's not that bad but it's definitely not great either. I totally understand why it appeals to so many people. I'd give it a shot if you're bored.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Was it the Q interview? She came across quite good in it and I enjoyed it.

Edit : Yes.

Reading my comments from a few months ago, seems like I was a tad harsh. It's not that bad but it's definitely not great either. I totally understand why it appeals to so many people. I'd give it a shot if you're bored.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad