Prospect Info: Hawks @ World Juniors

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Entwhistle made the team because of his PK ability ..so did Mitchell...both step the 1st pK unit Canada will use ..

Beaudin did not make it because they felt LD Markus Phillips was better as a PK guy at LD to partner with Mitchell on RDon that unit ...

As I posted before,Team Vanada's decisions were based on strategic Role assessments ...you cannot just take the best "talent"to make a Team..everyone has their role .

Reactions: Canadian Game

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
I did miss the first goal for both teams. It's also tough because they don't have nameplates, and I don't know his number. I just mean the announcers haven't said his name barely at all.
They mentioned Kurashev as a blackhawks fourth rounder....mentioned Entwistle , Mitchell and Jokihurhi

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Kurashev is playing by himself on the Swiss team much like his Q team. Still very impressed. Shocked we got him in the fourth round.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Though Canada got an entire goal to win 5-3 and dominated the shots total ...most of that domination of poses sion came in the first 2 periods..the Swiss in my opinion played their best period in the 3rd and Canada was under a lot of pressure on their own zone but managed to escape with the win..

Kurashev played well...but like the team heis on in the Q (Quebec Ramparts) the Swiss are not loaded with a lot of talent depth...

Put Kurashev with more talented players and he could get starry...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
looks like the Hawks are not the only ones releasing top young players...

Nashville released Tolvanen to play....Rangers released Chytil, Hurricanes released Necas and Detroit released Zadina...a lot of young pro players will be going to this tournament...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Hope to watch some of the US game tonight to get a first hand look at Blackhawks prospect Jack Hughes.
All the Hughes talk Hawks already now proven have the best prospect there, #1C Barratt

Check out @coreypronman’s Tweet:

I'm sure someone will come away with that thought

Reactions: CallMeShaft and pvr

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How was Barratt against Russia?
he looked great, his line shut down Russia's top line and scored a goal from Jason Robertson...they simply dominated Russia for much of the game..

and Wahlstrom and Hughes looked simply amazing once again...if this continues I expect Wahlstrom comes back to college and finishes with a dominating second half...

USA won the game 3-2 I believe, though the score was really not indicative of the play on the ice...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Mitchell was very good defensively on his shifts in the Canada beat down of Slovakia last night in a pre-tornament warm'up game ...

Mitchell is being used on the #1 pk unit ...but does not get any pp time ..His role is to be a defensive shutdown guy and pk guy...he looks fine in 5x5 when in the o-zone too .
.but it seems they do not want him taking too many risks to aggressively attack from the back-end ..he did it once or twice only to take the puck directly himself to attack the net down low ..With all their bother dmen and with no pp time and I this game few penalties to kill,it seemed to me he got a lot less shifts than the more featured den like Bouchard Dobson and Ty Smith ...but as I said his role seems to be primarily defensive and so do not expect a lot of points or glory from him in the WJHC ..

However ...when ranking the Competency of DEFENDI NG ,he in my opinion is by far the very best of their dmen I this aspect ..

This may be surprising to some ...as our hype depth. seems to have promoted him as this great offensive PMD type ...and maybe he can be that ..but you will not see much of that this tournament as I have pointed out above. .that is not why he is on the team..they have plenty of other den they feature for the offense ...Rather they are using him in the defensive role where he is better than all the others ...He plays bigger than his size because I saw him use the body to have no problem taking her out forwards off the puck on the boards..his positioning and reads were really good..his movement to loose pucks was great..no problem getting the puck and moving it up ice ..h also cleared guys in the crease area ..I came away very impressed with his defensive Competency ...he looks "ready" for the NHL to me ...

So to sum up...not sure about the excitement some have posted about his offensive ability ..not sure if he has anything special about his shot ..or his chances generation threat on atrack ...or his ability to doMinato play as a difference-maker ..it may be just too much hype...But on the eye test he looks so smooth ,Co me tent, and reliable defensively already to me,that I am confident he can step into our lineup and play big minutes the coach can trust ..

His defensive game is a lot better than I had even hoped for.
He engages physically ...much much better than Jokiharju or Forsling in this aspect..He is a 1st pair g big minutes candidate because he is reliable in hid d-zone game..

I am just comparing his play to what I saw from the other Canada dmen in their zone..Mostly they were OK though all of these others had a few shots where they got beat or goofed or broke down from their checks.. Bouchard had a couple of shifts where a guy got past him or he read plays wrong and not in right potion ..Slovakia did not score o these but just saying...Brook and McISSAC also had some shifts where they got beat ..Dobson and Smith also ...the only Dan I saw as totally in command defensively was Mitchell..

However this was just 1 game..so we need to see if he can remain this competent in defending against the better teams at the tournament ..

He us not going to get the chances the others will to shine offensively ..so if he keeps accept g his defense sive role and just keeps on doing the job,he will prove he is a reliable candidate we can insert into our lineup in the show and help our Defending our zone ...

The most important things I see as defending competencies are:

1. Reads/positioning/lane cobtrol
2.Getting to loose pucks ...
3.WINNING the puck back...
4.Engaging physically to shove guys off, pucks andfrom min front of our net..p
5.Clearing pucks...successful puck exits.
6.Avoiding turnovers .
7. Taking command .

Last night Mitchell checked all these boxes..

Reactions: Rolo and ray c

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If no one wants to read 50s post, I can break it down.

Mitchell is being used in a defensive role, and is excelling, but isn't being given an offensive role with Canada.

I barely noticed him the other night against the Swiss, I wish there was a box score on TOI because I feel like he got very little. If he is excelling at a defensive role I would assume his ice time will pick up as the tourney goes on.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If no one wants to read 50s post, I can break it down.

Mitchell is being used in a defensive role, and is excelling, but isn't being given an offensive role with Canada.

I barely noticed him the other night against the Swiss, I wish there was a box score on TOI because I feel like he got very little. If he is excelling at a defensive role I would assume his ice time will pick up as the tourney goes on.

Where did you learn to speak 50?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad