GDT: Hawks vs Sharks - 7:30PM CT on NBCSCH and ESPN+ -- Home Opener on 10-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yep. Hawks forwards not getting in the lanes and the puck regularly pin-balling in front of Hawks goalie with no Hawks players getting body position, just puck watching, makes the netminders job next to impossible. But aren't you the guy who says this is the system most coaches employ? I tell you one thing. Ops love being unhindered in front of the net and it kills this team on a regular basis.
It is. But you need to tie up sticks, or make sure the players that are open are covered. Most coaches don’t want you pushing and shoving a guy parked out front, but they do want you to make sure the other players don’t get their stick on the puck when it does come loose. We saw Shaw score a goal that same way last night, something the Hawks have really lacked the last 2-3 years. Our Dmen don’t know how to tie up the Ops teams sticks, they just stand there trying to find the loose puck instead and get caught puck watching, not making sure their opponent can’t get said puck.
only 1 goal was near impossible, the issues have been rebound control/positioning last game..Crow could have found a way to make 1 more of those saves..just didn't happen. now we will see what Lehner can do, and if he plays well I expect him to run with it a bit..if Lehner ****s the bed, not sure what we do from there..
Seabrook goal was next to impossible, it redirected twice before it got to Crow. Don’t see how he can save the Murphy goal either. And the last one was a guy all alone out front unimpeded by any Hawk player. Good luck to the best goalie in the world saving either of those pucks. We can agree on one thing, it’s Lehner time, I just don’t agree that Crow is the problem

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He wasnt fine. Thats why he was busted down the lineup from the top line, to the 3rd line, to getting benched for Kane double-shifts.

Nylander was bad last night.
Nylander isn't the problem. He was one of the more noticeable forwards last night, even though he didn't get on the scoreboard. They need to get Toews going again. Moving Nylander to the 3rd line made both lines bad instead of one, and Saad missed a good portion of that game. When Kane, Toews and Nylander are on the ice together it's Nylander making things happen right now. 19 and 88 are more of an issue than 92. That line just doesn't work.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It is. But you need to tie up sticks, or make sure the players that are open are covered. Most coaches don’t want you pushing and shoving a guy parked out front, but they do want you to make sure the other players don’t get their stick on the puck when it does come loose. We saw Shaw score a goal that same way last night, something the Hawks have really lacked the last 2-3 years. Our Dmen don’t know how to tie up the Ops teams sticks, they just stand there trying to find the loose puck instead and get caught puck watching, not making sure their opponent can’t get said puck.

Seabrook goal was next to impossible, it redirected twice before it got to Crow. Don’t see how he can save the Murphy goal either. And the last one was a guy all alone out front unimpeded by any Hawk player. Good luck to the best goalie in the world saving either of those pucks. We can agree on one thing, it’s Lehner time, I just don’t agree that Crow is the problem
and I am not saying Crow is the problem, but he really hasn't been the answer either..so we have to see how the team responds in front of Lehner. it is a long season and if we are going to have any chance at getting into the playoffs, we need both of these cats to get us .910 and above %...

Reactions: Panzerspitze

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
He wasnt fine. Thats why he was busted down the lineup from the top line, to the 3rd line, to getting benched for Kane double-shifts.

Nylander was bad last night.
He was not bad last night. The lines were working just fine until colliton switched them up and moved Kubalik and Nylander. After that everything fell apart. The only time nylander looked bad was in the 3rd period when he looked lackadaisical for a couple shifts.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
the 1st line was bad with nylander on it. and the 3rd line was good without him on it. then he went to the third line and it was bad with him on it. the weird part is i dont think it was really his fault but 0-2 gotta shake it up i guess.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
the 1st line was bad with nylander on it. and the 3rd line was good without him on it. then he went to the third line and it was bad with him on it. the weird part is i dont think it was really his fault but 0-2 gotta shake it up i guess.
I think it would have been ok had Saad been playing from the get go.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I agree with the bolded but it conflicts with your screening the goalie comment from yesterday. If a screen results in covering ops or trying to move them out, it is up to the goaltender to look through the screen. Some netminders are good at it. Crawford not so much. I haven't watched him enough to know but Lehner being the bigger goalie in theory should be better at looking through the screen.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The only guys that should be sitting for Perlini are Carpenter and Smith.
I get that, but I'd rather see a guy like smith/carpenter roatated out.

Both Carpenter and Smith are on the pk. The pk was bad last night obviously, but they were 2 of the 5 forwards being rotated on the PK. Carpenter seems to be the #1 forward in the early going. I think he's going to play almost every night. I imagine we'll see Smith scratched in the next few games.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Both Carpenter and Smith are on the pk. The pk was bad last night obviously, but they were 2 of the 5 forwards being rotated on the PK. Carpenter seems to be the #1 forward in the early going. I think he's going to play almost every night. I imagine we'll see Smith scratched in the next few games.

He should be, he was one of if not the worst forward on the ice yesterday.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Man, this place has cleared out quick since the first game.

106DF52C-F9CC-409E-A46D-12D25B0CAA07.gif

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I agree with the bolded but it conflicts with your screening the goalie comment from yesterday. If a screen results in covering ops or trying to move them out, it is up to the goaltender to look through the screen. Some netminders are good at it. Crawford not so much. I haven't watched him enough to know but Lehner being the bigger goalie in theory should be better at looking through the screen.
You can tie up sticks or have good body position on players in front without screening your goalie. What you described that isn't as prevalent anymore is trying to mvoe the body out of the way or fighting for position in front of the net with the Ops. That creates a double screen on the goalie, because guys in front aren't easy to move.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You can tie up sticks or have good body position on players in front without screening your goalie. What you described that isn't as prevalent anymore is trying to mvoe the body out of the way or fighting for position in front of the net with the Ops. That creates a double screen on the goalie, because guys in front aren't easy to move.

You're not making any sense. How do you tie up sticks and avoid being in front of the goalie?

Of course it would help if the shots didn't get through in the first place. Ops feast on Hawks by getting pucks to uncovered point men who then get shots to the slot area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad