GDT: Hawks vs Sharks - 7:30PM CT on NBCSCH and ESPN+ -- Home Opener on 10-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You're not making any sense. How do you tie up sticks and avoid being in front of the goalie?
Stand to the side

You (Blue player X) leave space between you and player O and when the puck is shot you move to tie up his stick, allows the goalie to see the puck come in without creating a double screen like you would have with red player X.

upload_2019-10-11_15-32-46.png

This is what I think of when you describe what Dmen should be doing. Creates a double screen.
upload_2019-10-11_15-33-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-11_15-29-13.png
    upload_2019-10-11_15-29-13.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
LOL. You make it sound like all the players are just standing around checking their positions. The game is much too fast to play it like it's a game of chess. If an ops player is going to the front of the net you check him any way you can. Except Chicago of course. Their Dmen puck watch and typically don't cover anyone.

This was a major flaw in the Q system and I have seen nothing from the current team to alleviate it.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
The Hawks roster is what it is, below average roster. One of the worst in the league 2 years ago, and couldn't make the playoffs last year.

I think we're seeing a lot of fans that are attached to the names of Kane, Toews, Crawford, Keith, Saad because we have won cups with them.
One of the big reasons we won cups was Hossa. He's gone. Keith was an elite dman, he's bad now. Seabrook has been bad for a few years. Crawford was elite for 2-3 seasons and solid for a couple more, that looks to be over.

I do like our forwards; but no, in no world would I take our roster over the Sharks roster. They're coming off a 100 point season. They're much better than us.

The fan in me likes to believe that if we add an impact defenseman, we're contenders. But it's probably at least 2, and then we don't even know of JC is an effective enough coach to lead the roster anywhere.

Hawsse

grittier than quaker oats
Aug 9, 2014
rent free in your head
I watch a lot of hockey other than the Hawks and I'm not as impressed with other teams as you are. The friggen Blues are Cup champs and I'm unimpressed with their forwards. Talent wise, yhe Hawks are lacking the #1D on the back end, but besides that they stack up with the very best in the league. There is no way in hell this roster should be this bad.

On a pure talent level, The Hawks have a top 10 roster in the league. On paper, I'd take their roster over any team in the Central division.

I look rosters of strong playoff teams and find multiple holes. The only holes the Hawks have is an elite defenseman and Seabrook. The roster is pretty damn good if you ask me.
here's a thought, if your evaluation leaves you more impressed with a team that hasn't made the playoffs in three years than the defending cup champions, you might need to reconsider your evaluation.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Hawsse

Aug 9, 2014
rent free in your head
LOL. You make it sound like all the players are just standing around checking their positions. The game is much too fast to play it like it's a game of chess. If an ops player is going to the front of the net you check him any way you can. Except Chicago of course. Their Dmen puck watch and typically don't cover anyone.

This was a major flaw in the Q system and I have seen nothing from the current team to alleviate it.
i don't usually agree with you, but clearing the front of the net has been a problem going all the way back to the 2014 kings series.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
seems chihawk10 is a nylander maatta and gus apologist this year. so you may have to look to others for info on these guys.

i agree hes been good. hes also made a few mistakes and ch10 spun it. i can see it coming..

:laugh: I'm so deep in your head, you can't make a single post without bringing me up. It's amazing.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
here's a thought, if your evaluation leaves you more impressed with a team that hasn't made the playoffs in three years than the defending cup champions, you might need to reconsider your evaluation.
I never said that I'm more impressed with the Hawks play than the Blues. The Blues are deeper on D, no doubt. I think the Hawks have significantly better forwards. There's only a few forward groups in the entire league that I'd take over the Hawks group. If the Hawks are lacking talent anywhere on their roster it's on D. They aren't that bad though. They're missing a top pairing and a lot of other teams have one. That's the Hawks issue. I think a lot of teams would like to have any combination of Murphy, de Haan, Maatta and Gustafsson as their middle pairing. When they're forced into the top pairing that's an issue. With Keith falling off of a cliff and Seabrook a borderline NHL D, the Hawks have run into huge problems there. They don't have that great defender. Boqvist is going to be a really good offensive player, and probably average to above average on D. I don't know where that shutdown defender is coming from. That's the Hawks biggest hole right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panzerspitze

Hawsse

Aug 9, 2014
rent free in your head
I never said that I'm more impressed with the Hawks play than the Blues.
and i never said you did either.
The Blues are deeper on D, no doubt. I think the Hawks have significantly better forwards.
the blues might not hace the same level of top six talent as the hawks, but they certainly aren't in the lower half of the league. the hawks, on the other hand...
They're missing a top pairing and a lot of other teams have one.
yeah. that's why the hawks, "on paper" as you put it, are one of the two weakest teams in the central. you can barely get along i. this league without two top pairing defensemen, much less without even one.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I'm not implying they are standing around, but often when the puck I at the point there is one of our Dmen near the net observing the shot. And that is what they do, much like most teams.

Watch more teams, Chicago is not the only team that does it, not even close. It's wasn't a major flaw, at all. It's a good way to let your goalie see the puck instead of creating more of a screen which is what the other team wants.

Just because you think it's wrong, doesn't mean it is.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm not implying they are standing around, but often when the puck I at the point there is one of our Dmen near the net observing the shot. And that is what they do, much like most teams.

Watch more teams, Chicago is not the only team that does it, not even close. It's wasn't a major flaw, at all. It's a good way to let your goalie see the puck instead of creating more of a screen which is what the other team wants.

Just because you think it's wrong, doesn't mean it is.
A high percentage of goals against Hawks comes from the lack of coverage of point men with ops players floating around the blue paint (uncovered) looking for redirects which is exactly what we saw last year and the year before that ...... and alas, last night. It's like a broken record.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
and i never said you did either.

yeah. that's why the hawks, "on paper" as you put it, are one of the two weakest teams in the central. you can barely get along in this league without two top pairing defensemen, much less without even one.
Yeah, I guess that's why they suck. Would you take Suter and Brodin right now over any of the Hawks D? I probably would. I should correct myself. They don't have a talent issue at forward or in net, but they do on the blue line. They don't have anyone on their team right now that could even be considered close to a #2 defenseman. They have some 3s(Murphy/de Haan) and 4s(Gustafsson/Maatta) but they don't have a 1 or a 2 and that's a huge issue. I don't know what the hell to make of Keith. Leaning toward he's a 4/5 tweener at this point.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yeah, I guess that's why they suck. Would you take Suter and Brodin right now over any of the Hawks D? I probably would. I should correct myself. They don't have a talent issue at forward or in net, but they do on the blue line. They don't have anyone on their team right now that could even be considered close to a #2 defenseman. They have some 3s(Murphy/de Haan) and 4s(Gustafsson/Maatta) but they don't have a 1 or a 2 and that's a huge issue. I don't know what the hell to make of Keith. Leaning toward he's a 4/5 tweener at this point.

Talent without the will and work ethic is useless in todays NHL.... and that sums up Hawks "talented" forwards. I can't remember the last game that I could honestly say Hawks players outworked the ops.

Hawsse

Aug 9, 2014
rent free in your head
Talent without the will and work ethic is useless in todays NHL.... and that sums up Hawks "talented" forwards. I can't remember the last game that I could honestly say Hawks players outworked the ops.
oh god this again. it isn't a problem of effort. even if it is (which i don't think it is for reasons i will outline) you have literally no way of knowing that short of having an inside perspective on the motivations and mindset of each player on the ice from moment to moment. this isn't an "eye test" thing, this is you claiming to have the supernatural power to access the inner psychology of people you are viewing through a television screen. and that's not to say that it's impossible to gauge a general feeling for how much a guy is trying on this or that play, but it's to say that any argument that has "effort" or "compete" as it's central thesis is wholly inadequate to explain what is actually happening on the ice.

to illustrate why i don't think it's a problem of effort, i could give numerous examples. the best i can think of is seabrook, who you can tell is trying so hard that he's absolutley exhausted after every shift, and yet he looks like he's just standing around out there on numerous goals. but your point is about the "talented forwards" so look at kane. the guy was so clearly frustrated all throughout the game, and yet outside of stromes goal he was practically invisible. or take nylander. the whole game he had chances on the puck. he was clearly puyting himself in the position to do something with it, and yet every time he tried to get a shot away his stick would get tied up, or he'd get a bad bounce from a rolling puck that he couldn't corral.

to me what this shows isn't that they simply aren't trying. it shows a problem of execution. the "skill" guys put themselves into excellent positions (just look at how many breakaways they had through the first two periods) but simply can't convert. it's an inability to translate effort into goals that is plaguing this team's offense more than anything, which is a really odd realization considering this was a game in which they scored 4 goals.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
if the hawks give up on Nylander after his preseason and those two games you might as well just light a match to the organization and blow it up, the guy oozes talent and he will succeed, he needs time and the correct opportunity, if he does not get it in buffalo or here it will be somewhere else.

have some patience Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad