Post-Game Talk: Hawks defeat Panthers 6-2, Crawford hurt but probably not serious (post #17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
It doesn't matter how you get there, just that you do. We'll see how he does when he comes back and revisit this later. I will readily admit if I was wrong.

Bickell is a career 15-goal, maybe 30-35 point player over the course of a season. Who plays ****** in the defensive zone and delivers a hit when he feels like it. You don't pay that kind of player $4m / year. Some combination of Jeremy Morin / Ben Smith / Brandon Pirri could probably give you 10 goals & 25-30 points (perhaps 80% of BB's production) in 82 games at 25% of the cost.

The problem is that he is being paid like he is the player from last playoff run.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Comparing a rookie and a $4M man is quite interesting. Especially since the comparison actually favors Pirri. :laugh:

Just using your foolproof formula for player analysis. Its pretty amazing actually, you have come up with a way to make any player in the league look bad. Just take out the good games and look at the bad! Patent this formula and sell the rights to NHL.com, you could make millions! Could even enhance it by adding player salary into the formula as well as years in the league.

Don't worry, I won't cause trouble if you want to add that in as well and patent it. Wont sue you!

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Bickell is a career 15-goal, maybe 30-35 point player over the course of a season. Who plays ****** in the defensive zone and delivers a hit when he feels like it. You don't pay that kind of player $4m / year. Some combination of Jeremy Morin / Ben Smith / Brandon Pirri could probably give you 10 goals & 25-30 points (perhaps 80% of BB's production) in 82 games at 25% of the cost.

The problem is that he is being paid like he is the player from last playoff run.

I believe they saw some potential for him to build upon that. Players his frame and style sometimes are late bloomers. I understand and respect your opinion, but I don't agree. Once again, I will readily admit if I am wrong if he comes back and ***** the bed into the tail end of the season.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
There is no doubt he is being paid for what he did in last years playoffs and thinking he would move forward and continue to be that player. He was not that player so far this year, it doesn't mean he can't still be that player. And even if he isn't, he did have the Hawks over a barrell because someone probably would have paid him more after last years playoffs. It happens all the time in sports. Its not just how you play, its when. He came up huge at the perfect time and cashed in. I havent given up on the guy, hope everyone else hasn't either.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think so....

I call it security. I don't think Raanta could carry the team for any extended period of time.

Q does though. He wouldn't have ran Crawford into the ground for no reason if he didn't. Got what he wanted.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We need to just go with what we have. We are not in a position to blow the rest of our cap space on another backup goalie. Just go with Raanta and rookies and hope for the best.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
I believe they saw some potential for him to build upon that. Players his frame and style sometimes are late bloomers. I understand and respect your opinion, but I don't agree. Once again, I will readily admit if I am wrong if he comes back and ***** the bed into the tail end of the season.

There could be something to the fact that the Hawks really do not have any other forwards who hit much aside from Shaw and he is pretty small. Still think that's a bit much to hand out such an overpay. It just feels like it was a short-sighted move to appease the fans. BB had such a productive playoff run, the fans don't want to see the team losing a bunch of players after the Cup win again, etc.

Still, the team is good with our without BB. He improves the depth. But I can't help but think that damn we would be even better with Frolik instead.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Just using your foolproof formula for player analysis. Its pretty amazing actually, you have come up with a way to make any player in the league look bad. Just take out the good games and look at the bad! Patent this formula and sell the rights to NHL.com, you could make millions! Could even enhance it by adding player salary into the formula as well as years in the league.

Don't worry, I won't cause trouble if you want to add that in as well and patent it. Wont sue you!

If you don't think inconsistency is used in all player evaluations...well just keep reading HF boards. You might learn something.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't like our Cup chances nearly as much without Bickell. You see the difference he makes in the playoffs. Tons of teams were salivating over the prospect of signing him for that reason. If you want to disect him, fine. Personally, he could play on the 4th line and record 0 goals a season at 4M and it's all good so long as he returns to beast mode in the playoffs. Anything he does in the regular season is bonus.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
There could be something to the fact that the Hawks really do not have any other forwards who hit much aside from Shaw and he is pretty small. Still think that's a bit much to hand out such an overpay. It just feels like it was a short-sighted move to appease the fans. BB had such a productive playoff run, the fans don't want to see the team losing a bunch of players after the Cup win again, etc.

Still, the team is good with our without BB. He improves the depth. But I can't help but think that damn we would be even better with Frolik instead.

With what Bickell gave the team in the playoff run he was being paid on the assumption that production would be more the norm. My thought on it is when they won the cup in 2010 then got rid of Buff and for years talked about missing that net presence he provided in the 2010 playoffs. Bickell does the same thing in 2013 playoffs and they feel they can't lose that a second time like they lost with Buff. Bickell cashes in. I understand the thinking, and at the time it seemed like everyone was happy they kept Bicks.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If we could go back and change things the Titanic would still be afloat, professional soccer would never have been tried in the US, and we would have a different president now.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He only does it for players he doesn't care for.

We could do the same thing for Stalberg, take out a certain set of games that he played well in, and suddenly he's only a 20-30pt player.

What do mean could? You did at every opportunity.

Bickell top season 37 points, taking into account all games!:laugh:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 2m
#Blackhawks recall goaltender Kent Simpson from Rockford.

Here we go, Raanta/Simpson train all aboard!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Changing the sibject...WHY was the Hayes deliberate arm-shoulder upthrust into Raanta's head not called as a penalty? Resulting hoal waoved off only as incidemtal goalie interference...slo-mo clearly showed the deliberate arm-shoulder thrust UP and into Raanta's face-head area..so AGAIN brcause Ranta got to play on instead of being hauled off on a stetcher concussed..the refs let it go? The Dept. OF Player Safety (LOL) will not review and punish Hayes?. Just as Marchand remained in the game instead of getting carted off after Neal's dirty deliberate skate-by knee to the head of a player lying on the ice- the Dept. OF Player Safety is more lenient on his punishment than it SHOULD.be? AND the only reason they throw the book on Thornton for his assault on Orpik who refused to fight was that Orpik was hauled off on a stretcher and could not play further in the game? It seems you almost need to be killed befor the DOPS get serious about punishment sentences that might deter future similar goonage...methinks they need to ad.an E to.DOPS...you know...DOPES...Dept. Of Player Excuseable Sentencing...no hurt/ get off lightly or totally no punishment.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I don't think Hayes did anything deliberate, but I was surprised there wasn't a goalie interference call

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Agreed, he catches lightning in a bottle and got paid handsomely. Let's not think he is comparable to others making $4M.

He's a comparable to Brouwer and Stalberg, he only makes 333k more and 1mil more respectively. Didn't you want them signed at that money? They are on the same pace as Bickell for goals. Except one of those 3 players actually shows up when the games actually count, hence why he got paid more.

What do mean could? You did at every opportunity.

Bickell top season 37 points, taking into account all games!:laugh:

Actually, I haven't. I never discounted Stalbergs goals or points, other than to say he got the majority of them by being carried by our top 4.

I don't usually take a 22 game sample out of a player who has been around the NHL for more than 3 years.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Hayes and Olsen look good for FLA.

Agreed. They've both been doing well since arriving there. Good for them.

Thought Olsen had a strong game last night.

And knowing how these boards are, before some (insert negative adjective here) flames me, I'm not saying the trade was bad and I want to take it back. Just observing that two NHL-caliber prospects that I thought would be solid NHL players are finally getting an opportunity to prove that on a regular basis with a team that has the roster space to accommodate them. Wasn't going to happen here. Glad they're doing well.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I thought both were very meh, especially Hayes.

Hayes didn't look any different than he did when he was here. Olsen looks meh, but looks to have much more promise than Hayes.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He's a comparable to Brouwer and Stalberg, he only makes 333k more and 1mil more respectively. Didn't you want them signed at that money? They are on the same pace as Bickell for goals. Except one of those 3 players actually shows up when the games actually count, hence why he got paid more.

Actually, I haven't. I never discounted Stalbergs goals or points, other than to say he got the majority of them by being carried by our top 4.

I don't usually take a 22 game sample out of a player who has been around the NHL for more than 3 years.

Sybil posts scare me.

So you are in the camp that Bickell is consistent? And yes I would take VS @3M over Bicks @4. Said it at the time.

But then, I wouldn't would be trying to pound a square VS into a round Bickell either. Wish Q could say the same.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sybil posts scare me.

So you are in the camp that Bickell is consistent? And yes I would take VS @3M over Bicks @4. Said it at the time.
Just speaking the truth.
No, never said he was consistent.

And i'll take the guy that shows up when the games count, as opposed to the healthy scratch. If it means paying him an extra 1mil, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad