Post-Game Talk: Hawks defeat Panthers 6-2, Crawford hurt but probably not serious (post #17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
$4m for borderline 3rd liner.

To call that contract anything but frighteningly awful would be downplaying it.

No it wouldn't. Frighteningly awful would be him making 5+ mil. This is just a subpar contract that has the opportunity to be fine if he replicates his performance from last postseason to ones in the future.

The cap is also going to be rising quite significantly which will further take the sting out of the deal. I would rate the Crawford contract worse than Bickell's quite easily.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I trust in Raanta.

He's had some iffy moments, but on the whole he's looked like he can handle this.

Especially if Crawford isn't out for too long.

Even if he looks sort of frantic or confused on ice at times, I feel like the guys play better defense in front of him precisely because they don't trust him the way they do Crawford.

I also find it reassuring that he seems to have such a good sense of humor about his mistakes, because it shows he's confident and self-aware enough to admit when he's done something wrong but at the same time isn't going to beat himself up about it to the point that it will hang over him in future performances.

He had a funny response to when Selanne beat him (but not the post) in the Ducks game and apparently he said this in the post-game tonight:

Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN 27m

Raanta on his bad clearing attempt on Goc goal: "Their second goal I got the assist." #Blackhawks

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
$4m for borderline 3rd liner.

To call that contract anything but frighteningly awful would be downplaying it.

He has only played 22 games since signing the contract. Based on what he did in last years playoffs I think we can give him more time before labeling it frighteningly awful. Still was on pace to score 18 goals before the injury, it could be worse.

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
Bickell's contract is for what he's suppose to do during the post-season. He set the expectations with his performance last season.

If the playoffs come and he does nothing, then I'll jump on the contract being bad bandwagon. Until then, I don't care. Let's wait til the post-season is over to judge this contract accurately.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Yeah, it's gonna get all deja vu up in here, Antti coming in and strutting his stuff-> Steals the starting job

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
No it wouldn't. Frighteningly awful would be him making 5+ mil. This is just a subpar contract that has the opportunity to be fine if he replicates his performance from last postseason to ones in the future.

The cap is also going to be rising quite significantly which will further take the sting out of the deal. I would rate the Crawford contract worse than Bickell's quite easily.

"Cap going up" is not a good excuse for handing out a bad contract. A third liner poaching a bunch of goals in the playoffs while playing with the Hawks' top forwards is not a reason to give out deals like this. Guys who "step it up in the playoffs" are probably 95% of the time just getting lucky.

Morin/Pirri/Smith have more than adequately filled in for Bickell and the three of them make less than Bickell. If Hawks could find someone who would take Bickell and his contract off their hands, they should do it.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
"Cap going up" is not a good excuse for handing out a bad contract. A third liner poaching a bunch of goals in the playoffs while playing with the Hawks' top forwards is not a reason to give out deals like this. Guys who "step it up in the playoffs" are probably 95% of the time just getting lucky.

Morin/Pirri/Smith have more than adequately filled in for Bickell and the three of them make less than Bickell. If Hawks could find someone who would take Bickell and his contract off their hands, they should do it.

I disagree completely with your assessments, not the least of which is that the contract is "horrible." I think this team is a decent amount better when Bickell is on the ice, whatever role he may happen to be playing.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
And I would very much be against moving the rightful Conn Smythe trophy winner due to an at worst inconsistent start to the year.

The worsT case scenario is that Crow is out for the year and we are forced to move futures for a short term stop gap in net if Raanta is found wanting. I know that I'd be comfortable moving pieces for a guy like Thomas out of Florida.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Brookbank won't get traded... just give it up

I don't get the Raanta critics. He's been fine and good. He overplayed the SO, he has had 2 horrendus giveaways so far and he gave up one goal he should have had.

He made more good saves than the bad stuff. He's fine

I love goals like the Shaw or Handzus goal. Those are the goals that will win you trophies

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He has only played 22 games since signing the contract. Based on what he did in last years playoffs I think we can give him more time before labeling it frighteningly awful. Still was on pace to score 18 goals before the injury, it could be worse.

Bickell is not was not on pace for anything like 18 goals. He had one hot week, take away that week and he has 1 goal and 1 helper.

Dreadful, frighteningly awful.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
And I would very much be against moving the rightful Conn Smythe trophy winner due to an at worst inconsistent start to the year.

The worsT case scenario is that Crow is out for the year and we are forced to move futures for a short term stop gap in net if Raanta is found wanting. I know that I'd be comfortable moving pieces for a guy like Thomas out of Florida.

This is ****ing ludicrous, sir. Bryan Bickell, the man who stands in front of the net and picks up Kane & Toews loose change. He doesn't actually create his own chances. Unless you call his standard toe-drag to the middle of the ice and attempt a wrister for well outside the dots a real "chance." Most of the time he just gets stripped of the puck anyway.

The guy has rode a couple of decent stretches in his career to a contract that pays him like a borderline top-6 player.

Hawks do not need BB and would be in much better shape with respect to the cap without him. Would much rather still have puck possession beast Michael Frolik. But no, instead we signed BB to one of the most laughable contracts of the winter. I am a big fan of our GM but this was one of his absolute worst moves.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
This is ****ing ludicrous, sir. Bryan Bickell, the man who stands in front of the net and picks up Kane & Toews loose change. He doesn't actually create his own chances. Unless you call his standard toe-drag to the middle of the ice and attempt a wrister for well outside the dots a real "chance." Most of the time he just gets stripped of the puck anyway.

The guy has rode a couple of decent stretches in his career to a contract that pays him like a borderline top-6 player.

Hawks do not need BB and would be in much better shape with respect to the cap without him. Would much rather still have puck possession beast Michael Frolik. But no, instead we signed BB to one of the most laughable contracts of the winter. I am a big fan of our GM but this was one of his absolute worst moves.

Well first off he is talking about Crawford. Everything else you posted verges on hyperbole.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
The way I see it is that the cup would not have been in Chicago without BB. He played 3 decent seasons for 500K per. Let the guy get his payday and enjoy for a bit. Remember with a new contract comes higher expectations and pressure so this is bound to happen to some players. I will weigh in once the playoffs get going and he is still slacking, but till then I will have my microscope on Crawford.

On other news Morin gets 7 minutes of ice time and still manages to grab an assist, 4 shots, and was a +1 . He was hustling out there like crazy all 7 minutes long lol. What is Q's problem with this kid?

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bickell is not was not on pace for anything like 18 goals. He had one hot week, take away that week and he has 1 goal and 1 helper.

Dreadful, frighteningly awful.

You can't take away a week he did well and look at the rest, that is not how it works.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
how about we take away the time he was weak and has had no luck and just look at the good week? Hell that 4m would look like a steal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad