GDT: Hawks @ Canes 6pm 2/19/24 NBC Chicago sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Let's not get carried away. It would be a stacked roster where Seth and Foligno couldn't be starters, and probably Kurashev the way he has improved.

The truth is every team has it's grinders. Guys like Dickinson, Blackwell and a few others would fit the bill. But yeah, the Hawks lack of top end talent is rather sad. How the mighty have fallen (as some of us predicted would happen when Stumbling Stan had the reins).
Yeah, you were so smart, lol, no one else would have guessed that this team would have fallen as Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith all got old and/or retired. Just a crazy prediction by you.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yeah, you were so smart, lol, no one else would have guessed that this team would have fallen as Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith all got old and/or retired. Just a crazy prediction by you.
I'm talking in 2016 when a few of us were ringing the warning bells or even before that when Stan was drafting smurfs and giving out dumb contracts. Most Hawks fans were euphoric at the potential of the little Dmen in the system and because Hawks won another Cup, followed up with a great regular season. They were oblivious until Hawks got wiped out in the first round of the playoffs. It was only then that the warning bells went off for most fans and it was far too late to do anything about it. Stan's incompetence quickly caught up to Hawks. Of course you knew all along, right? You're so full of it!

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I think my favorite moment of the game was when the Hawks were down 4-0 and outshot 28-7 about midway through. I don't even think Carolina was that sharp in the first.

You watch another miserable start like that and it does take away from the fun of seeing Bedard score garbage time points for me.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
LR is just a AVG coach I think we all agree on that. He is better then Bowmans last hire. also remember the coach's that do the tank are not the the coach that takes them to playoffs. Why would a top 10 coach want this job last year? in regard to KD he inherited a team with no first rounder the last 2 years. (for Seth Jones) and we were still terrible (so KD has been way better then bowman). you need to stay the course and do subtle changes along the way. IE resigning Msarek, Foligno, Dickinson. When you make every move they dont always work out. which of KD's moves at the time would you do differently. I would say AA on a 2 year deal i would not have done at $4mil. I do think next year we will be more competitve and we will probably ice a roster of 9 bottom 6 guys and 3 top 6 but that is better then 1 top 6, 6 bottom six and 5 guys that should be in the AHL. KK has hit a bit of a rough patch but he should not be in the NHL right now. but he also should not be back in Jr's you are in a no win situation. Next year will be big for him to see were he slots. I know people just like to complain but. top UFA's want to play for teams that are going to make the playoffs. Top coach's want the same. they know they will more then likely be fired before they are good unless they over acheive. KD inherited one of the worst run teams in the league in regard to coach and GM. he has been in charge 2 years. would you have kept hagel (moore + first rounders) kept Dach (lose Nazar) kept Cat (lose KK, Ludwincki and a high 3rd this year) and resigned Kane? kept mcanabb (lose a 1st and 2nd) we woudl have been more copetitve but not a playoff team and drafting solid players but not game changes and not NHL ready the 1st year. last year he put us at a spot that gave us a reasonable shot at the top 3 players. all playing in the NHL this year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm talking in 2016 when a few of us were ringing the warning bells or even before that when Stan was drafting smurfs and giving out dumb contracts. Most Hawks fans were euphoric at the potential of the little Dmen in the system and because Hawks won another Cup, followed up with a great regular season. They were oblivious until Hawks got wiped out in the first round of the playoffs. It was only then that the warning bells went off for most fans and it was far too late to do anything about it. Stan's incompetence quickly caught up to Hawks. Of course you knew all along, right? You're so full of it!
Literally everyone who knows hockey knew the Hawks would be garbage at the end of the Toews and Kane contracts. It's very difficult to remain relevant for more than a decade when you are constantly getting late 1st round picks, and selling assets to try and win another one. It's not rocket science.

Only reason they fell off harder, sooner, was because not many could predict Toews and Sebrook would fall off a cliff, and Hossa would retire earlier than he should have.

Last edited:

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
good tank loss. The start first half was tough but they came back strong and Bedard showed again hes a star. Vlasic and Kurashev showed they are pieces. Keep losing and get Celebrini. Let Nazar Moore Del Mastro Commesso Allen Greene ect grow.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Ironically, Bobby was the board’s biggest defender of the Bickell contract, which other than Seabrook’s was one of Bowman’s worst and which we were forced to give up Teravainen to get rid of.
BB was the whipping boy around here until it came to the playoffs. I thought his new contract was slightly high but his physical presence was badly needed at crunch time. Unfortunately injury and then his sickness made his contract not so great but I hardly think his contract was a big factor and what lead to Hawks downfall. Nice try though.

Man, you guys love to argue and re-write history to fit your needs. I was right about Stan all along as were a very few others. BWC was one. All in the past though.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
BB was the whipping boy around here until it came to the playoffs. I thought his new contract was slightly high but his physical presence was badly needed at crunch time. Unfortunately injury and then his sickness made his contract not so great but I hardly think his contract was a big factor and what lead to Hawks downfall. Nice try though.

Man, you guys love to argue and re-write history to fit your needs. I was right about Stan all along as were a very few others. BWC was one. All in the past though.
Who is rewriting history? You love to make shit up without backing it up.

Reactions: Pez68

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

The contract was terrible from the moment it was signed. For a championship team that had to make every dollar count and was up against a lower cap, it was an enormous factor and cost us our best young player. It’s crazy that you’re still defending it all these years later.

Reactions: Pez68

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The BB contract was bad but the fact we rode out 3 years of it and then gave away Teuvo for 1 year of Bickell just compounded the problem. Stan was a f***ing moron.

Reactions: bwanajamba

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The BB contract was bad but the fact we rode out 3 years of it and then gave away Teuvo for 1 year of Bickell just compounded the problem. Stan was a f***ing moron.
It was not good but no one could have known he would be diagnosed with MS. that is why he looked terrible. Seabs was basically retired 3 years into a 8 year deal. anytime you sign a guys for 8 years about ready to turn 31 its going to be bad. unless you are hoss.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It was not good but no one could have known he would be diagnosed with MS. that is why he looked terrible. Seabs was basically retired 3 years into a 8 year deal. anytime you sign a guys for 8 years about ready to turn 31 its going to be bad. unless you are hoss.
It was a bad contract the day it was signed. Of course the MS was unfortunate and likely accelerated his decline but he was never worth what we paid.

Seabrook also terrible the day it was signed.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
It was why Bedard gave him the staredown after he scored the disallowed goal

Too bad that one was wiped out by the way. Was a beautiful display of shifting his weight to get off a good, quick release in an awkward position. Sort of like a Mahomes off-platform throw

There's another vid of Martin pointing at the scoreboard after Bedard stared him down. I love the competitiveness.

Reactions: scorehawks

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It was a bad contract the day it was signed. Of course the MS was unfortunate and likely accelerated his decline but he was never worth what we paid.

Seabrook also terrible the day it was signed.
Apples to oranges, trying to compare the 2 contracts....from the day it was signed, Seabs had no chance to live up to the contract and the ridiculous term that came with it. It was far and away worse than the Bickell contract. One that would haunt Hawks for years, right into his retirement. I reckon the 8-year term qualified it to be the absolute worst of the bad contracts inked by Stan.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'll take multiple point games for Bedard and losses any day of the week with this shit roster. The 2024 draft can't come soon enough.

98 is a stud. As others have mentioned, get this kid a legitimate scoring winger to play with and he's going to light the league on fire.
Just one and he's crossing 100

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
This is an oversimplification but In hindsight the hawks really panicked somewhat unnecessarily after that Nashville sweep in 2017. The hawks would still have a playoff core to this day with Panarin schmaltz forsling Kane Hartman with Debrincat and Jokiharju on the way.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
This is an oversimplification but In hindsight the hawks really panicked somewhat unnecessarily after that Nashville sweep in 2017. The hawks would still have a playoff core to this day with Panarin schmaltz forsling Kane Hartman with Debrincat and Jokiharju on the way.
First round exits every year with no 1D or 1C.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Apples to oranges, trying to compare the 2 contracts....from the day it was signed, Seabs had no chance to live up to the contract and the ridiculous term that came with it. It was far and away worse than the Bickell contract. One that would haunt Hawks for years, right into his retirement. I reckon the 8-year term qualified it to be the absolute worst of the bad contracts inked by Stan.
Wasn’t even comparing them. Just discussing two bad contracts. Seabrook obviously worse for sure.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Almost Nobody liked the BB contract but it was market value at the time. I'm guessing Q probably liked him more and TT less to. Q had his guys. The MS thing matters too. Clowe, Lucic, and other big forwards that could defend a little and score a few were getting ridiculous contracts. Anyway, it was a bad contract, but I think it was understandable. If Bowman had the keys and chose Bickell over TT (Q was #1 coach in the league) I say bash away. I just have a hard time thinking Bowman had that much pull after looking back on everything.

The Seabrook contract was a disaster before the ink dried. I think it was more a McD contract than hockey ops contract because of the legacy and all.

What was terrible is that Bowman couldn't identify RD so many years and so many draft picks is probably what made writing a bad Seabrook contract inevitable. There wasn't another option, and that problem fell squarely on the Stanimal imo.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
First round exits every year with no 1D or 1C.
Yup, in hindsight, it's probably best that everything fell apart quickly so they could initiate the rebuild. The Pens are still trying to hold on, the Kings are still trying to hold on, and both won't do anything when it comes to the playoffs and will be in our position in a few years. Only team that has held it together is the Bs, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad