Post-Game Talk: Hawks absolutely destroy the Flyers, 7-2

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
i have a stupid question, but why did we sign Khabibulin again?

I asked that question on "July-whatever-date-free-agency-began-" and was *****ing about it here.

Signing Khabby was the dumbest move the Hawks have made in a while....

I have absolutely no idea what Bowman was thinking about that one....

I've had my doubts about Raanta - given his lack of NHL experience, but I'm pleasantly surprised so I suppose that makes up for the Khabby nonsense.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
I asked that question on "July-whatever-date-free-agency-began-" and was *****ing about it here.

I've had my doubts about Raanta - given his lack of NHL experience, but I'm pleasantly surprised so I suppose that makes up for the Khabby nonsense.

Signing Bryan Bickell for $16m would like to have a word with you.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The Hawks signed a veteran goaltender who was familiar with the city, team and system. It really made a lot of sense at the time. I don't think anyone expected him to be as bad as he was.

Raanta's been good, but you don't want to get into a situation where you start the year with Crawford/Raanta, Raanta shows he's not ready, and now you have to give up an asset to get a veteran back-up.

Khabi had played quite well over the past two seasons in Edmonton. He had a .910 Sv% in 40 games in 2011-12, and a .923Sv% in 12 games last year. It's not like he was brutal and the Hawks should have seen the signs.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
The Hawks signed a veteran goaltender who was familiar with the city, team and system. It really made a lot of sense at the time. I don't think anyone expected him to be as bad as he was.

Raanta's been good, but you don't want to get into a situation where you start the year with Crawford/Raanta, Raanta shows he's not ready, and now you have to give up an asset to get a veteran back-up.

Khabi had played quite well over the past two seasons in Edmonton. He had a .910 Sv% in 40 games in 2011-12, and a .923Sv% in 12 games last year. It's not like he was brutal and the Hawks should have seen the signs.

Exactly. I mean, the price seemed a bit high but it's the guy has been a good goalie the past two years in front of a pathetic defense. And a handful of games is not nearly enough to say that he is certainly done.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Naa Crawford's contract will end up being the worst and will hurt the Hawks long term, might lose some decent players down the line because of it. This team does not need to pay a goalie more than 3 Million dollars. Raanta is ten times better than Crawford will ever be. Much better (night and day) glove hand, better composure, not bad five hole as once thought, better helmet/head saves. Only thing Crawford has got on him is playing the puck. I also enjoy Raanta's interviews so much better as he is just smiling and being so humble which is exactly the opposite of Crawford's arrogance.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

I was going to add him to the list as well but under this new cap it seems ok...

I'm pretty sure Bowman knew the cap was going to go way up (as did the majority of hockey fans) so the deal isn't that bad... As a matter of fact Bickell is fantastic trade bait for teams looking to reach the cap floor.....

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Naa Crawford's contract will end up being the worst and will hurt the Hawks long term, might lose some decent players down the line because of it. This team does not need to pay a goalie more than 3 Million dollars. Raanta is ten times better than Crawford will ever be. Much better (night and day) glove hand, better composure, not bad five hole as once thought, better helmet/head saves. Only thing Crawford has got on him is playing the puck. I also enjoy Raanta's interviews so much better as he is just smiling and being so humble which is exactly the opposite of Crawford's arrogance.

Wow, you have some kind of thing going for Crawford huh?

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
A #1 goaltender moving forward will be making just as much Crawford is now. Sure, I would have liked a $5 million cap hit more and I am not a fan of the deal on whole, but to say we are going to lose a couple of players because of it with the way the cap is due to escalate is clown shoes.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
not to mention, he's proven he can backstop a stanley cup winning team and do a damn fine job in the process.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

In 4 years the cap will be at like 80 million +...

His hit looks bad under this present 63 million cap but give it a season or 2 and his cap hit will look sweet.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
guys, for the last time, the new contract doesn't start til next year when the cap will be over 70mil, so right now his hit is the same as last season.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I will say, offense can be enough to win the President's Trophy but if the Hawks want to repeat, they gotta get that PK fixed.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
not to mention, he's proven he can backstop a stanley cup winning team and do a damn fine job in the process.

Crawford was certainly a key and was playing at an outstanding level last season, however our defense last season was even better - this season not so much.

Our PK is absolutely pathetic - one of the worst PK's I've ever seen... 68% at home???

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
i have a stupid question, but why did we sign Khabibulin again?

It was actually really smart.

1) Khabi played pretty well last year, and seemed like he'd be decent enough as a backup
2) Raanta was totally unproven
3) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: The way Khabi's deal is structured, there is NO difference between having Raanta and Khabi on the roster cap wise. It was a cheap, basically risk free move by Bowman.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

:laugh:

The cap is going to 75 million in 2 years. $3M is going to be peanuts very soon.

God, this ****ing board sometimes.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
The Hawks win 7-2 and some of you guys are whining about contracts of two injured players who didn't even go tonight? SPOILED!!!!

I for one am just gonna enjoy this a bit more, thank you.

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 35m

Toews on Raanta: "We were just trying to keep him on his toes when we gave up two breakaways on the same power play."

Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN 35m

Sharp on Raanta's breakaway stops: "Nice little highlight reel he put together in the third period." #Blackhawks

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 57m

#Blackhawks Jonathan Toews on not taking faceoffs because of injured finger: "Just being precautious. That wasn’t a word, was it?"

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 1h

Sharp on taking some of Toews' faceoffs: "I always say I'm better at faceoffs than Jonny. So now I've got to prove it." #Blackhawks

Chicago Blackhawks ‏@NHLBlackhawks 1h

With two assists tonight, Patrick Kane became the 13th player in #Blackhawks history to record 300 assists with the team. #HesGood

BTW "Patrick Sharp" was trending on U.S. twitter tonight for a regular season NHL game. That's fantastic.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
I was going to add him to the list as well but under this new cap it seems ok...

I'm pretty sure Bowman knew the cap was going to go way up (as did the majority of hockey fans) so the deal isn't that bad... As a matter of fact Bickell is fantastic trade bait for teams looking to reach the cap floor.....

If the Hawks could trade Bickell they should do it as soon as they possibly can. He is superfluous. The fact is it is very rare that free agents get traded because if a team wanted them, they would have signed the player themselves instead of taking on the contract in addition to trading something for the player.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
It was actually really smart.

1) Khabi played pretty well last year, and seemed like he'd be decent enough as a backup
2) Raanta was totally unproven
3) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: The way Khabi's deal is structured, there is NO difference between having Raanta and Khabi on the roster cap wise. It was a cheap, basically risk free move by Bowman.

Also.....

Khabi has played in FOUR freakin' games. Jesus. Apparently that's enough to completely pass judgment on a player. :shakehead

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
guys, for the last time, the new contract doesn't start til next year when the cap will be over 70mil, so right now his hit is the same as last season.

71 is a conservative number, I'm speculating the real number will be more like 73. IMO, with the new TV contract it will be 78-80 in 15-16...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad