Speculation: Hawks - '13-'14 Roster

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
That lineup is very feasable and maybe even likely.

IMO, Jeremy Morin is most likely to replace Bryan Bickell in the lineup, but I just don't see Q & Stan being happy going into the season relying essentially on 2 or 3 rookie forwards. I think it's defnitely Morin's time, and Smith/Pirri may see some time but I think it takes an injury before they get their shot.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Execute. A goal is a goal, a post is a post. Positioning creates deflections. I understand what you are saying, but at the end of the day, the better team usually wins, as was the case this year. Oilers made what, 6 out of 7 Cups and won 5 of them? This team can do something similar and I believe they will.

This is utterly ludicrous, coldsteel. How out of touch are you? That was an entirely different era with far fewer teams and a much, much wider spread of talent across the league.

Now you have probably a dozen teams every year who could feasibly win it all and a lot of it comes down to a lucky bounce here and there.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'm looking for a repeat. I think next years team is going to be better. We have young guys who were great in the AHL and ready to go.

The biggest obstacle to being great against next season is probably the short recovery time from a condensed schedule + intense playoffs.

As far as the roster goes, it really doesn't seem like we're losing that much. Of course, I thought that last time outside of Ladd.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
This is utterly ludicrous, coldsteel. How out of touch are you? That was an entirely different era with far fewer teams and a much, much wider spread of talent across the league.

Now you have probably a dozen teams every year who could feasibly win it all and a lot of it comes down to a lucky bounce here and there.

This is the coldsteel way. Keep setting the goal posts higher and higher until Stan can't feasibly achieve them, then game on for more fire Bowman threads.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
I posted in the bolland thread, but if he can get traded for a cheaper replacement we can keep everyone else

Bickell(3.25)-toews-kane
Sharp-Pirri-hossa
Saad-Goc(1.7)-shaw
Frolik-Kruger(1.25)-morin
Bollig/carcillo

Keith-seabrook
Hjalmarsson-oduya
Leddy(2)-rosival(2)
Brookbank

Crawford
Raanta

~$64.25m cap hit

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
IMO, Jeremy Morin is most likely to replace Bryan Bickell in the lineup, but I just don't see Q & Stan being happy going into the season relying essentially on 2 or 3 rookie forwards. I think it's defnitely Morin's time, and Smith/Pirri may see some time but I think it takes an injury before they get their shot.

Really think Morin is ready too. I thought he'd be up earlier to be honest. I'm interested to see what type of role the Hawks put him in. I remember when he was a stud for the Syracuse Stars in PeeWees and Bantams and everyone called him "Jet Morin" because he was a pure burner. Added a lot of grit in Ann Arbor at NTDP. And then was an absolute snipe in the OHL. Multidimensional game will help him stick I think.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I think Q and the Brass Band have more confidence in slotting Smith into the roster than both Morin and Pirri.

There's a reason Smith was the one who drew in during the SCF.

Also, pretty amazing that 10:23 of ice time was all it took for Ben Smith to get his name on the Cup.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The biggest obstacle to being great against next season is probably the short recovery time from a condensed schedule + intense playoffs.

As far as the roster goes, it really doesn't seem like we're losing that much. Of course, I thought that last time outside of Ladd.

There's always some movement. We still need a #2 center, especially if there is no confidence in Bolland to take it now.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The biggest reason I like the lineup calling up smith morin pirri so much is what it means for our organization. Bowman understands how the ca works and you can't get married to the non core guys or deal prospects for minor upgrades on the Hawks.

Exactly what the Red Wings did for so long...

Also, don't underestimate what it does for the morale of young guys sent to the AHL. There is an obvious commitment to promoting them to play.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Ice size doesn't mean a whole lot as far as goalies are concerned. Stopping pucks is stopping pucks.

I know it from 2 goalies that played in the AHL and in Germany that it takes time to adjust to the size. Angles are different and they need to adjust their positioning a bit more. Takes them about 1 month to fully adjust and some playing time.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I think Q and the Brass Band have more confidence in slotting Smith into the roster than both Morin and Pirri.

There's a reason Smith was the one who drew in during the SCF.
Smith was a no-brainer choice of the 3...it comes down to their roles.

They didn't need a center to fill in, so Pirri was never an option. So it came down to the guy with playoff experience versus the one without.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad