Speculation: Hawks - '13-'14 Roster

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Mark Lazerus @MarkLazerus
Stan Bowman: "We're not searching for NHL players. We've got a lot. And we've got some young guys ready to step up." #Blackhawks

Stan's being pretty candid at this press conference right now.

Makes sense. At some point you need to see if the prospects are NHL ready. The cupboard is almost too full right now.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Not sure if serious.

The Hawks would have had no secondary scoring last year if not for Bolland and Shaw, and Shaw only played half the year and Bolland was having a career season in 2010-11, before suffering a concussion. The only year where the bolded is arguable is this past season.

I have no problem with people wanting to trade Bolland - I've admitted I think it can happen, and there's a decent chance it will - but make a reasonable argument for it outside of "he was bad this year"; A year that clearly stands out as his worst in the NHL and at this point, is more likely an anomaly and not a trend.

First off, I like Bolland, I just really don't like his contract and I've found him to have been significantly overrated (in relation to his contract) for years. I think he will have a bit of a bounce back too.

I was absolutely serious about him not helping in the standings, relative to his cap hit. He missed too many games, went on terrible extended droughts, and his hot streaks didn't offset the terrible play or missed games for 3 years straight. Some will point to his playoff performances (which I don't view as special outside of a handful of games), and I'll say 3.375 spent elsewhere probably puts more pts in the standings in 11' and 12' and gives the Hawks a better chance in a playoff matchup. They won so it worked keeping him around, my point is that we have a long sample size telling us he isn't going to be much help for a year and we have to hope (3.375 worth of hope) that he'll have a big game in the postseason.

I like Bolland, but he's too expensive and too risky in most scenarios. If most of the FAs can't be retained, I'm in favor of keeping him around if he comes back healthy. I don't think he value is great, so depending on contracts, it may end up being best to keep him around.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc
Unrestricted free agent goaltender Ray Emery said he would like to return to the #Blackhawks.

If he came back on a cheaper contract than what he's got now, I wouldn't be completely against it. It would create some competition for the backup spot with Raanta, and Razor's been a good backup. Plus it seems like he adds to the team's character and morale behind the scenes.

But really, Razor should probably go. I'd rather see what Raanta's got while he's here on that one year contract.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
If Emery would take the same contract or a little more, I say keep him. He'll probably be banged up at times and that will keep the window open for Raanta as he adjusts to NA. I've been assuming Emery priced himself out of Chicago, maybe he's willing to give a discount.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc
Unrestricted free agent goaltender Ray Emery said he would like to return to the #Blackhawks.

If he came back on a cheaper contract than what he's got now, I wouldn't be completely against it. It would create some competition for the backup spot with Raanta, and Razor's been a good backup. Plus it seems like he adds to the team's character and morale behind the scenes.

But really, Razor should probably go. I'd rather see what Raanta's got while he's here on that one year contract.

Now that's interesting. Emery earned himself a nice contract from some team out there, probably a couple million per even if he was signed to be a backup again. He'd have to take less to stay here, and it would assuredly be as a backup. Guess he just really loved the team... winning the Cup does that, I imagine.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc

I think he'd like to stay in an ideal world, but he probably knows he needs to leave. And he needs to leave for himself - with his health issues of the past, he needs to grab the money while he can.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I think he'd like to stay in an ideal world, but he probably knows he needs to leave. And he needs to leave for himself - with his health issues of the past, he needs to grab the money while he can.

I agree, that's why I assumed he would be gone. I was a little be surprised by his statement because of his past. He's been a great storyline this year. If he doesn't stay, I hope somebody gives him an inflated, multi-year contract.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Raanta had lots of offers to come over and I don't see that he wants to play in the AHL for a complete season...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think Bicks father will play a large in role in who and how much he signs for.

From some of the comments he made I really think Bicks will do what he can to stay here, providing he isn't low balled.

tomcho

Apr 27, 2010
Chicago
I think Bicks father will play a large in role in who and how much he signs for.

From some of the comments he made I really think Bicks will do what he can to stay here, providing he isn't low balled.

I was one of the idiots outside Harry Carry's when they came in. Mr and Mrs B walked right by us and we said 3.25 million for 3 years and his dad starting laughing. I was taking a ton of videos with my camera I need to see if I actually recorded the exchange. It was pretty funny.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
that's fine and not the problem. I just don't see that Raanta would accept playing the whole season in the AHL and if we bring back Emery, that would be a guarantee for that to happen

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I like the fact Bickell himself just used the words hometown discount.

to be honest I don't think Bickell wants the pressure of some big contract that he can't live up to. Like people have said, he goes missing for big stretches of the season, you can do that when you are making 800k, but when you sign a big contract for over $4mil you have nowhere to hide, just ask Joel Ward.

Bickell seems reasonable and grounded to me, he knows he can play on this team and in this system. He can make between $3-3.5 mil and fit in like a glove. Does he really want to go out to some other city and have to deal with the pressures of proving that he isnt just a part-time player???

we will see.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Bryan Bickell ($3.542m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Brandon Pirri ($0.870m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Jeremy Morin ($0.887m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m) / Brandon Saad ($0.894m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.251m) / Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) / Michal Handzus ($1.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($2.251m) / Michal Rozsival ($1.500m)
Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Antti Raanta ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,817,795; BONUSES: $852,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,334,705

Easy swap stalberg and bolland with Pirri and Morin/Hayes

SLarmer28*

I am completely aware of what Toews did and didn't do going by advanced metrics. They don't win without him. He is supposed to score and he slumped like, any player does. My point was about how well this team is built. If losing Bolland means more of the roster is able to be retained, I'm in favor of it. Who would have imagined Toews scores 4 and the Hawks win the cup?

I don't want a big roster turnover.
Roster Turnover:

Bolland (based on today's trade rumor)
Emery (will get offer to start somewhere else)
Frolik (hate the contract)
Handzus (thanks for the memories)
Mayers (time to retire)
Montador (brown brain)
Olesz (complete waste)
Stalberg (who cares .... really)

Promotions:

Leblanc/Pirri
Morin
Raanta
Smith
Stanton

Nothingman*

Bowman said that they are going to bring some youth in so I am taking him for his word. I figure a year or two to get everything lined out for another run perhaps.

SLarmer28*

Bowman said that they are going to bring some youth in so I am taking him for his word. I figure a year or two to get everything lined out for another run perhaps.
You do realize that Pirri, Morin, Smith, Stanton all have played three seasons with Rockford in the AHL? However, Morin's rookie season was cut short due to a season ending concussion.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Right, next year is going to be a lot like the last 2 years when you bring in a bunch of rookies to see who has it and who doesn't. Kruger, Shaw, Saad, Leddy, Smith, Morin, Hayes....all of these guys got a look the past 2 seasons and Stan was able to identify who was ready to contribute and who wasn't. Think we'll see plenty of Hayes, Smith, Morin, Pirri, and possibly a defenseman (Clendening or Olsen) next year and possibly the year after.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm looking for a repeat. I think next years team is going to be better. We have young guys who were great in the AHL and ready to go.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
You do realize that Pirri, Morin, Smith, Stanton all have played three seasons with Rockford in the AHL? However, Morin's rookie season was cut short due to a season ending concussion.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not considered part of Chicago's youth, especially since they're all 24 or younger and none of them have spent significant time in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad