Speculation: Hawks - '13-'14 Roster

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And you'll need a ton of luck, great goaltending, and health.

I think the great goaltending is there, don't believe in luck in hockey and yeah, agree on the health.

The Oilers didn't get lucky every single year, they just made it happen.

SLarmer28*

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not considered part of Chicago's youth, especially since they're all 24 or younger and none of them have spent significant time in the NHL.
Morin was 7th in the AHL in goals scored while Smith was 12th in the AHL in goals scored this past season.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...son_id=40&league_id=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

Pirri led the AHL in scoring this past season.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&season_id=40&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

Seriously, how much more time do you want these prospects playing in the AHL?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think the great goaltending is there, don't believe in luck in hockey and yeah, agree on the health.

So it wasn't lucky that Chara rang the post at the end of OT in game one and that the puck deflected off of Shaw's shinpad and into the net? It wasn't lucky that the puck rolled on Kelly and went over the net in the first period of game 6 which would have put Boston up 2-0? Similarly, had the Hawks lost, they had 3 goals wrongfully taken away from them against the Red Wings, thats not unlucky? Luck is involved in any sport, its magnified in low scoring games like hockey and soccer where one goal can make all the difference in a game.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It seems like so many people are actively trying to keep Pirri out of that 2C spot. Why?

He led the entire AHL in points. Offensively he will almost definitely be an upgrade over the motley crew of 2c we trotted out this year. Defensively he needs improvement but playing with Hossa Sharp and our D core he will be hidden fairly easily.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Morin was 7th in the AHL in goals scored while Smith was 12th in the AHL in goals scored this past season.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...son_id=40&league_id=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

Pirri led the AHL in scoring this past season.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&season_id=40&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

Seriously, how much more time do you want these prospects playing in the AHL?

I can't tell if you're intentionally being dense. I would like to see all of them have a shot at making Chicago's roster next year. I was just pointing out why someone would consider them a part of Chicago's youth.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So it wasn't lucky that Chara rang the post at the end of OT in game one and that the puck deflected off of Shaw's shinpad and into the net? It wasn't lucky that the puck rolled on Kelly and went over the net in the first period of game 6 which would have put Boston up 2-0? Similarly, had the Hawks lost, they had 3 goals wrongfully taken away from them against the Red Wings, thats not unlucky? Luck is involved in any sport, its magnified in low scoring games like hockey and soccer where one goal can make all the difference in a game.

Execute. A goal is a goal, a post is a post. Positioning creates deflections. I understand what you are saying, but at the end of the day, the better team usually wins, as was the case this year. Oilers made what, 6 out of 7 Cups and won 5 of them? This team can do something similar and I believe they will.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
It seems like so many people are actively trying to keep Pirri out of that 2C spot. Why?

He led the entire AHL in points. Offensively he will almost definitely be an upgrade over the motley crew of 2c we trotted out this year. Defensively he needs improvement but playing with Hossa Sharp and our D core he will be hidden fairly easily.

Agreed. Pirri has a ton of talent offensively, and playing with Hossa/Sharp might make up for some of his defensive struggles. But he definitely needs to improve his defensive game if he wants to stay with Chicago long term, especially since he's a center.

SLarmer28*

I can't tell if you're intentionally being dense. I would like to see all of them have a shot at making Chicago's roster next year. I was just pointing out why someone would consider them a part of Chicago's youth.
Your quote:

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not considered part of Chicago's youth

Double negative in the sentence is rather confusing - doesn't, not

At least with Pirri, Morin, Smith, the Blackhawks will not be throwing in a bunch of 20 year olds.

SLarmer28*

Agreed. Pirri has a ton of talent offensively, and playing with Hossa/Sharp might make up for some of his defensive struggles. But he definitely needs to improve his defensive game if he wants to stay with Chicago long term, especially since he's a center.
Drew Leblanc will probably compete with Pirri for the second line center role next season, well at least I hope.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
This is heresy but I really think the 14 team can be better than 13. Saad and Leddy will be better, Shaw will get better. Ahl crew slots in, and hopefully Bickell figured it out this postseason.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Execute. A goal is a goal, a post is a post. Positioning creates deflections. I understand what you are saying, but at the end of the day, the better team usually wins, as was the case this year. Oilers made what, 6 out of 7 Cups and won 5 of them? This team can do something similar and I believe they will.

The Oilers had Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier and there was no salary cap. Comparing anything that happened before 2005 to things that happened after is stupid.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This is heresy but I really think the 14 team can be better than 13. Saad and Leddy will be better, Shaw will get better. Ahl crew slots in, and hopefully Bickell figured it out this postseason.

Agreed 100%. Imagine if BB pots 30 next year, what about Saad getting 20. We're heading up.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Oilers had Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier and there was no salary cap. Comparing anything that happened before 2005 to things that happened after is stupid.

Then call me stupid. The Oilers fan predicting that run in 1982 got called the same thing.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Agreed 100%. Imagine if BB pots 30 next year, what about Saad getting 20. We're heading up.

A 3rd line of Saad-Shaw-Smith is absolutely pitch perfect for what you want from a 3rd line.

If Q wants to split Kane and Toews again for the majority of the season I'm fine with that but BTK, SharpPirriHossa, SSS, Fro Kruger x is just a phenomenal lineup. 2 scoring lines a grit line and a defensive stopper line.

SLarmer28*

You failed to mentioned the continued development of Marcus Kruger.

Trade Brookbank, re-sign Rozsival.

Stalberg won't be missed in the playoffs either.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You failed to mentioned the continued development of Marcus Kruger.

Trade Brookbank, re-sign Rozsival.

Stalberg won't be missed in the playoffs either.

You're right, my bad. I think our weakened division + development more than make up for Hossa/roszi regression+ cup hangover.

Good time to be a Hawk fan. :naughty:

SLarmer28*

Your 2013-14 Chicago Blackhawks:

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Leblanc/Pirri - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Morin/Smith
Carcillo - Kruger - Frolik/Smith
Bollig

Keith - Seabrook
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Leddy - Rozsival
Stanton

Crawford
Raanta

Youth must be served! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
A 3rd line of Saad-Shaw-Smith is absolutely pitch perfect for what you want from a 3rd line.

If Q wants to split Kane and Toews again for the majority of the season I'm fine with that but BTK, SharpPirriHossa, SSS, Fro Kruger x is just a phenomenal lineup. 2 scoring lines a grit line and a defensive stopper line.

Agree, I love a lineup of

Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Smith
Morin-Kruger-Frolik

Can rotate in Carcillo and Bollig on that 4th line as needed. Can move Frolik up to the 3rd line as needed if Smith doesn't work out. If Pirri can give you what Saad did last year (be an impact rookie), that lineup really doesn't have any holes.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Bollig

Keith - Seabrook
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Leddy - Rozsival
Stanton

Crawford
Raanta

That lineup is very feasable and maybe even likely.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Pirri is a definite improvement over Zus.

Raanta vs. Emery, call that even

Rozsi/Brookbank, need to be replaced but I mean, that should be doable

Call it even? Raanta hasn't even ever played a game on this sized ice :laugh:

If Emery wants to make less here to be the backup again, the job is his.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Bollig

Keith - Seabrook
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Leddy - Rozsival
Stanton

Crawford
Raanta

This is our lineup and I am ridiculously happy. Lets not forget the smith morin and Pirri were substantially better AHLers than Bickell.

We will have growing pains with the young guys but what better time to step back to the 3/4th seed then the year after the cup? By playoff time that lineup can be better than this years team.

Edit: could this be the youngest team in the NHL as well?

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011

Then you are living in fantasy land. :laugh:

The distribution of talent across all of the NHL teams is pretty uniform. There is a lot of luck that goes into the success of those teams. Which is why a very similar Blackhawks team that lost 9 in a row in 11-12 can win the Cup in 13.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00