Speculation: Hawks - '13-'14 Roster

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
There is a lot of talk going on about the Hawks cap situation for next year. I think they ship out Frolik and Bolland. Compliance buyouts for Montador and Olesz. Rosival comes back on a one year deal. Pirri possibly dealt to somebody to take on Bolland's contract is a possiblity, with intention of slotting in Kruger or Leblanc at 2C and signing a guy who has played top 6 min, but slots in as a bottom 6 guy ala Handzus. Goalie, I just threw somebody in there. It's gonna be a guy who's been a starter in the league, but has lost his game, maybe Dan Ellis, maybe Garon, who knows, but they're gonna be cheap, unless the new kid from finland comes in and wows the FO.

Edit: Bickell should be 3.5M @ 4 years.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Bryan Bickell ($3.000m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Brandon Pirri ($0.870m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.500m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m)
Jeremy Morin ($0.887m) / Drew Leblanc ($0.874m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Ben Smith ($0.563m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($2.400m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.000m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.578m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Jose Theodore ($0.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)
Buyout: Steve Montador ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,555,920; BONUSES: $565,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,309,080

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
Kruger should just get his bare minimum tender and nothing more.

You really think that? He's been an integral part of probably the league best PK unit. Still some growth in his game imo. He's got the potential to be a very versatile center if he can upgrade his ability at the dot and get stronger on the puck. Has awesome hockey sense, passing ability, and he's great along the boards. I wouldn't mind 1.5 @ 3 years. That could be a steal by the time he is 25 years old. Ya let him hold down 3rd line, let Danault and Teravainen develop, let Kruger walk if those guys are ready. And I'd love if they found a way to keep Frolik too. High motor, hockey sense, versatile player. Just the money is tight for a year and then he's a UFA. Not sure if it's even worth it if they can pick up a 2nd and 3rd by shipping Fro and Bolly out.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You really think that? He's been an integral part of probably the league best PK unit. Still a lot of growth in his game imo. He's got the potential to be a very versatile center if he can upgrade his ability at the dot and get stronger on the puck. Has awesome hockey sense, passing ability, and he's great along the boards. I wouldn't mind 1.5 @ 3 years. That could be a steal by the time he is 25 years old. And I'd love if they found a way to keep Frolik too. High motor, hockey sense, versatile player. Just the money is tight for a year and then he's a UFA. Not sure if it's even worth it if they can pick up a 2nd and 3rd by shipping Fro and Bolly out.

I agree I would like to keep Kruger. It's just that he has no bargaining power. Why hand him over money (don't care about that) and cap space (do care about that, a lot) for no reason? I know it sucks, but it's just like any other job. They aren't going to pay you any more than they have to. Shouldn't be any different here, rules of the game.

As for your longterm idea, if BB is back and Leddy is back and it still fits, yeah, go for it.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Kruger should just get his bare minimum tender and nothing more.

I go back and forth. I don't think he's going to get an offer sheet, but he's probably only going to get better, if they can get him on a multi-year deal at 1.75 or less, I'd do it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I go back and forth. I don't think he's going to get an offer sheet, but he's probably only going to get better, if they can get him on a multi-year deal at 1.75 or less, I'd do it.

My needs are: Bickell, Leddy, Raanta on the roster. Now, if I can do that and sign Kruger multiyear (which is about 1 in a million to work out), I do it. If I have to lowball him to accomplish those three things, I'm doing that.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think this is a pretty realistic lineup. I put Pirri in there as a placeholder, obviously you could sign someone else to be the 4th/2nd line center. I think you could possibly get Kruger, Roszival, and maybe Leddy for a little less meaning you'd have more to spend on a 4th line center or if you want to bump Bickell up to $4 mil you could.

Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.750m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Bryan Bickell ($3.750m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m) / Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Brandon Pirri ($0.870m) / Ben Smith ($0.563m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nick Leddy ($2.750m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.000m)
Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Antti Raanta ($1.400m)
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,200,962; BONUSES: $767,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $866,538

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think this is a pretty realistic lineup. I put Pirri in there as a placeholder, obviously you could sign someone else to be the 4th/2nd line center. I think you could possibly get Roszival and maybe Leddy for a little less meaning you'd have more to spend on a 4th line center

Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Antti Raanta ($1.400m)
OTHER
------

Seems doable. We also have to consider any carryover bonuses too, however minimal, could still make an impact when we are getting this close. But yeah, I have no issue approaching 300-400K cap space to get this done, no issue whatsoever.

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
I think this is a pretty realistic lineup. I put Pirri in there as a placeholder, obviously you could sign someone else to be the 4th/2nd line center. I think you could possibly get Kruger, Roszival, and maybe Leddy for a little less meaning you'd have more to spend on a 4th line center

Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Antti Raanta ($1.400m)
OTHER
------

You can't pay a guy 3.75M to be on the third line. If he's gonna get reupped at that rate, he needs to be in the top 6, period. And Morin should be on the team next year. He's gonna be like 23 or 24. It's time to let him develop in the NHL or move him. Same with Hayes. Bollig shouldn't even be on the team, neither should Carcillo. Unfortunately, they're stuck with Carcillo for another year. Guess you can hope he gets that knee in better shape

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You can't pay a guy 3.75M to be on the third line. If he's gonna get reupped at that rate, he needs to be in the top 6, period. And Morin should be on the team next year. He's gonna be like 23 or 24. It's time to let him develop in the NHL or move him. Same with Hayes.

BB would be in the top 6 and Saad would be on the third line. Obviously during the regular season, you have injuries, you have some guys playing better than others, it mixes around. Playoff time comes and everyone is healthy, BB is in the top 6, obviously.

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
BB would be in the top 6 and Saad would be on the third line. Obviously during the regular season, you have injuries, you have some guys playing better than others, it mixes around. Playoff time comes and everyone is healthy, BB is in the top 6, obviously.

My thoughts are if the Hawks are fortunate enough to win the cup, BB walks to a team that has a lot of cap space and takes the payday. If they lose, he signs a more cap-friendly deal to continue trying to get that cup in Chi. I just see some idiot GM that is obsessed with size coming in with a 4-5M offer (think Tallon). You could make the case that he would be a 4M+ player if he can bring this intensity consistently in the next four years, but I have my doubts. His skills and size are undeniable, it just is worrying that he never showed any of it till Shaw came to town. It's like his chemistry with Shaw completely rekindled his career.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You can't pay a guy 3.75M to be on the third line. If he's gonna get reupped at that rate, he needs to be in the top 6, period. And Morin should be on the team next year. He's gonna be like 23 or 24. It's time to let him develop in the NHL or move him. Same with Hayes. Bollig shouldn't even be on the team, neither should Carcillo. Unfortunately, they're stuck with Carcillo for another year. Guess you can hope he gets that knee in better shape

They've paid Bolland almost that much for 4 years to be on the 3rd line. Bollig and Carcillo are what they are, tough guys. You need those guys during the course of an 82 game season.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
My thought is if the Hawks are fortunate enough to win the cup, BB walks to a team that has a lot of cap space and takes the payday. If they lose, he signs are more cap-friendly deal to continue trying to get that cup in Chi. I just see some idiot GM that is obsessed with size coming in with a 4-5M offer.

Well, I'm ok going to 4M, even a tad more, like 100-250K more. I think size matters a lot in this league, espeically when it can skate and tear things up in the POs. I think that is what he is worth. Really think about this team with and without BB when you watch the games. I'm ****ing terrified to lose the guy, obviously I am in the minority but people are thinking more and more along my lines and it's becoming a majority opinion that we cannot lose the guy. I don't think any GM would be an idiot to give him a big offer.

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
They've paid Bolland almost that much for 4 years to be on the 3rd line. Bollig and Carcillo are what they are, tough guys. You need those guys during the course of an 82 game season.

And Bolland has been a waste of cap space on the third line since the end of that Vancouver series. A shell of his former self. And that was tallon's fault for botching that contract. 3M+ players need to be able to contribute top 6 minutes in some situations, Bolland never could, maybe Bickell can, but he hasn't to this point (prior to this run). I'm more concerned about the contract year, upping his game, doing what a lot of PWF seem to do and revert to laziness. It's hard to name a PWF that consistently brings it year in and year out. Dustin Brown, James Neal, Lucic???

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
One thing regarding Bickell is Horton is going to set the market for power forwards. Now there is a guy that is carrying his team.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
And Bolland has been a waste of cap space on the third line since the end of that Vancouver series. A shell of his former self. And that was tallon's fault for botching that contract. 3M+ players need to be able to contribute top 6 minutes in some situations, Bolland never could, maybe Bickell can, but he hasn't to this point.

Bolland has been a waste because he's always hurt, not because he's bad.

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
Well, I'm ok going to 4M, even a tad more, like 100-250K more. I think size matters a lot in this league, espeically when it can skate and tear things up in the POs. I think that is what he is worth. Really think about this team with and without BB when you watch the games. I'm ****ing terrified to lose the guy, obviously I am in the minority but people are thinking more and more along my lines and it's becoming a majority opinion that we cannot lose the guy. I don't think any GM would be an idiot to give him a big offer.

No question size matters, but compete level matters even more. Size and compete level at high levels are rare. If Bicks wants to bring it every night, go for resigning him at all cost. I just have my doubts. There are so many talented guys in the league, but there aren't a lot of guys that bring it every single night..and that's why the Chi core is special. They just battle and compete like not many other cores do.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No question size matters, but compete level matters even more. Size and compete level at high levels are rare. If Bicks wants to bring it every night, go for resigning him at all cost. I just have my doubts.

So you're not OK with mixed regular season efforts at around a 20G/40P pace and killer PO efforts at a 40G/80P pace? Because although not perfect, I am more than happy with it. And we have three years of evidence. But what I will say, and you saw this with Steeger, Buff, etc. When they broke out that year, they became better players for the future. No reason to think it won't be the same again here. But just going on the known, guys that score at this pace in the playoffs, so very, very rare, let alone big guys with laser shots. I mean, this is a one of a kind guy.

Nothingman*

I look at that Kane and Toews cap # and think.....add $3MM to each in 2-3 years.

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
So you're not OK with mixed regular season efforts at around a 20G/40P pace and killer PO efforts at a 40G/80P pace? Because although not perfect, I am more than happy with it. And we have three years of evidence. But what I will say, and you saw this with Steeger, Buff, etc. When they broke out that year, they became better players for the future. No reason to think it won't be the same again here. But just going on the known, guys that score at this pace in the playoffs, so very, very rare, let alone big guys with laser shots. I mean, this is a one of a kind guy.

We need the guys that bring it every single night. Toews does it. Hossa does it. Keith does it. Frolik does it. Kruger does it. Shaw does it. Sharp does it. Kane for the most part does it. And so on. Bicks needs to do it if he wants to get paid. And I wouldn't want Versteeg or Buffs contract. Ladd, different story. High character guy, brings it every night, great player, only guy I wish we could have kept, too bad bettnuts decided incentive bonuses should count against the cap and CHI lost him.

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
I look at that Kane and Toews cap # and think.....add $3MM to each in 2-3 years.

Also have to imagine the cap will rise >6M by then too. Could easily be 72M+. But, that said, Toews is not a 9M dollar player. Kane, not really either. 8M, okay, but I'll be pretty pissed if they take 9M+. That's Malkin/Crosby money, Stamkos money

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
Chicago Blackhawks
FORWARDS

Bryan Bickell ($3.250m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Brandon Pirri ($0.870m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Jeremy Morin ($0.887m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.050m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m)
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Drew Leblanc ($0.874m) / Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nick Leddy ($2.350m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m)
Michal Rozsival ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Antti Raanta ($1.400m)
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,599,253; BONUSES: $1,040,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,740,747

Ideally Bolland's gone, compliance with Olesz and Montador, Raanta impresses, you retain Leblanc, and sign Rozsival for less than what he took this year. I think Morin will make the team, he and Saad will rotate lines 3 and 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad