Injury Report: Havlat (12/27)

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Not really. (Conceivably, you could have your entire AHL staff recalled and more than 20 on the IR. But the team would really be hurting. Including financially.)

He's "skating healthy". But not "game healthy", yet.

With lots of players coming back before the season ends and the potential for deadline deal(s) the Sharks need to save as much cap space a possible. Why take Havlat off of IR if he's not ready to play? I don't understand.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
With lots of players coming back before the season ends and the potential for deadline deal(s) the Sharks need to save as much cap space a possible. Why take Havlat off of IR if he's not ready to play? I don't understand.

Putting a player on IR (or taking them off) doesn't do anything at all cap wise, it simply opens up a roster spot.

LTIR will give the team cap relief if they need it but that doesn't "save" the team any cap space either.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Whether he's not dependable doesn't matter when you have Eriah Hayes, John McCarthy, and Bracken Kearns in the lineup. As dependable as he is or isn't, he's still a better option than those guys and should be played.

I would play Hayes over Havlat if I had to pick one of them. However, he is a better option than Kearns or McCarthy.

Also, serious question PF. If this was solely for the fourth line, would you still feel that Havlat is a better option than Kearns or McCarthy? I am asking because Havlat does not fit into the grinder style for the 4th line.

Havlat is undoubtedly more talented than any of those guys but he seems to be backing of contact and has lost a lot of his speed that made him such a dangerous player. I still wish he could regain some of his form back before the playoffs. A 50-75% Havlat would still make 12-39-9 better than 12-39-57 or 12-39-83. A healthy and engaged Havlat would make our team better.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would play Hayes over Havlat if I had to pick one of them. However, he is a better option than Kearns or McCarthy.

Also, serious question PF. If this was solely for the fourth line, would you still feel that Havlat is a better option than Kearns or McCarthy? I am asking because Havlat does not fit into the grinder style for the 4th line.

Havlat is undoubtedly more talented than any of those guys but he seems to be backing of contact and has lost a lot of his speed that made him such a dangerous player. I still wish he could regain some of his form back before the playoffs. A 50-75% Havlat would still make 12-39-9 better than 12-39-57 or 12-39-83. A healthy and engaged Havlat would make our team better.

Yes, I would. Under normal circumstances, James Sheppard is on the 4th line and Havlat isn't really any different in terms of not fitting the grinder style. I personally don't even like the idea of a 4th line being a grinder line though. With the talent and depth our healthy lineup would have, it should be another two-way all-around type of line.

Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy
Sheppard-Desjardins-Havlat

I'm also not opposed to trading him if something becomes available but they'd have to get him into the lineup before they could do something.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Obviously, Havlat would be great on the fourth line. But he has to adapt to that role as well. Recognize the limited minutes, the lack of talent in his linemates, and adjust.

Sometimes a limited player who is fully aware of his own limits is a better choice than a moderately talented player who thinks he is Denis Savard.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Obviously, Havlat would be great on the fourth line. But he has to adapt to that role as well. Recognize the limited minutes, the lack of talent in his linemates, and adjust.

Sometimes a limited player who is fully aware of his own limits is a better choice than a moderately talented player who thinks he is Denis Savard.

This is true but I would choose Havlat over the guys that would be that option for the Sharks especially the likes of Kearns and McCarthy...Kearns would be the only one that provides some level of difficulty in that situation. But giving Havlat every opportunity to get his game back is more important than playing either of those two when their contributions will be just as limited on the whole of it as Havlat's worst probably would be.

Havlat is where Clowe was at last year in a lot of respects.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Breaking:

Havlat out at least two months with injured back after unexpectedly carrying team against Dallas.

(please no one get mad about this)

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Breaking:

Havlat out at least two months with injured back after unexpectedly carrying team against Dallas.

(please no one get mad about this)

Ya, he was pretty good last night. Nice tip goal and helper on the winner. He still has vision and decent play making ability for sure. Looked like he got some top 6 line mates sometimes last night also.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Ya, he was pretty good last night. Nice tip goal and helper on the winner. He still has vision and decent play making ability for sure. Looked like he got some top 6 line mates sometimes last night also.

I dont get why he has zero acceleration, if that can be fixed he probably would start looking pretty good out there more regularly.

Hell, he even tried to check someone last night

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I dont get why he has zero acceleration, if that can be fixed he probably would start looking pretty good out there more regularly.

You know when you patch a tire and you're afraid to gun it when you're pulling out of the autoshop?

That's how Havlat feels about his groin right now.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

he has actually had some good checks this season, i dunno if i just didn't notice it in other seasons but he really railed a few dudes.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
You know when you patch a tire and you're afraid to gun it when you're pulling out of the autoshop?

That is how he's felt for the past two years by the eye test. Guy has so much potential talent - the right body size, nice hands, has the ability to skate.

FWIW, after he scored the goal, and even after the OT goal, I just don't see the joy in his eyes. He seems like a loaner on the team. It makes me sad....

I just have no idea what the team or he feels about one another. I feel like he's "out" of the group... which is not good on a team.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
That is how he's felt for the past two years by the eye test. Guy has so much potential talent - the right body size, nice hands, has the ability to skate.

FWIW, after he scored the goal, and even after the OT goal, I just don't see the joy in his eyes. He seems like a loaner on the team. It makes me sad....

I just have no idea what the team or he feels about one another. I feel like he's "out" of the group... which is not good on a team.

Yah, reminds me of Heatley in that way.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Noticed this as well. Possibly he still feels he was a way to go to where he wants to be. Seems like the team really embraced him. Watch burns hug him gave him some words of encouragement after that ot goal. They want him to succeed he just hadn't been healthy in a long time to do so

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Noticed this as well. Possibly he still feels he was a way to go to where he wants to be. Seems like the team really embraced him. Watch burns hug him gave him done words of encouragement after that it goal. They want him to succeed he just hadn't been healthy in a long time to do so

That's what I was thinking too. I think we're reaching with the whole "he doesn't care, he's an exile".

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yah, reminds me of Heatley in that way.

heatley was loved by the team also, just like havlat is. just both of them cannot bring the cap hit game to the nhl level any more.

it is sad, but it is the harsh reality of the nhl. injuries catch up to players. heatley's just happened 6 years before his fall off, while havlats has been happening every single season, every single freaking shift it seems.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012

Bingo.

He did look better last night with his hands, on both goals, but even more so the pass to Wingels. I did see a little more effort and speed...but overall, he's still a very reluctant skater, major lack of foot movement, glides all the time & stays away from crossing over his feet, a weird push off stride angle (to protect his groin), and almost zero battle or physical engagement.

Last edited:

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

Me either.

What is the issue here... I'd guess something to do with the hips from the surgery... they may be tight and it's prohibiting him from quick acceleration and or a high end speed, etc. I would have thought this could/would have been fixed by now.

Any one had this problem, any Dr's out there... :help:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
That's what I was thinking too. I think we're reaching with the whole "he doesn't care, he's an exile".

Yah I'm not really reading into it, just that his affect and behavior remind me of Heatley is all. Healtey never struck me as a 'happy' guy, neither does Havlat.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

I noticed this distant look about him also, not sure if this is his personality or it's as you stated that he feels "out" of the group.
Doesn't look like he's having much fun, i see no passion in him or his game. Hardly a smile..

Not sure the cause of this.. his lacking game, still recovering from the surgery, hates the doctor who messed up his hips, coaching and or medical staff.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
Why?

More like he has new tires.... Post surgery he should be better than before, stronger, etc. Time to go all out so to speak.

Um, no...absolutely not. Even tweaking a groin can mess up your burst and skating, let alone plevic floor surgery.

I had ACL surgery in college, made it back just "fine" and was deemed 100% within the usual 6 month range by my doctors & trainers. However, it took probably 1 1/2 years before I trusted my knee again and felt that all the power had returned, and saying I fully trusted it is a stretch...heck, 10+ years later, I'm still aware of it.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Um, no...absolutely not. Even tweaking a groin can mess up your burst and skating, let alone plevic floor surgery.

I had ACL surgery in college, made it back just "fine" and was deemed 100% within the usual 6 month range by my doctors & trainers. However, it took probably 1 1/2 years before I trusted my knee again and felt that all the power had returned, and saying I fully trusted it is a stretch...heck, 10+ years later, I'm still aware of it.

I know.

I'm saying he's a Pro player that is expected to trust his body, go all out, etc. Where i'm going with this is.. why can't he trust is body (problem in his head) -or- he's still not 100% (physical problem) and just can't do somethings. Which one of these or are both the issue??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad