Have you given up for 2015?

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
We were 95% to make the playoffs last year at one point .. I hope this isn't one of those reverse-jinx threads, starting up a 10-game winning streak :laugh:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Join us again in October, where we start the same old ******** all over again.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I gave up a few weeks ago. I have been actively cheering for losses and haven't really made any effort to ensure I'm watching the games either.

I check the overall standings every single day to see if we are getting closer to that #3 pick - realistically it's the best we can achieve. Edmonton and Buffalo are just way to bad.

That being said, I also expect a lack luster trade deadline and somehow they will screw me again before the year is over.

But that being said, there is NO WAY we make the playoffs.

I have no faith in Nonis to do the right thing. I suspect he will trade Franson for a 25-year-old 3rd liner and then retain Santorelli in hopes of re-signing him. Then in the off-season he might move Polak for another 3rd liner and the rebuild will be complete.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My Reasoning .. The last WC team is on pace for 100 points so that is what is needed to get in.

Leafs currently have 48 points and thus need 52 points in last 30 games to tie. What that would mean is acquiring 52 points of a possible 60 points available or play = .867 hockey down the stretch.

Now the #1 NHL team in the standings Nashville has 72 points in 50 games = .720 hockey on the season. So all Leafs have to do is play better and at a higher pace then every other NHL team was able to achieve this year.

In context if the Leafs could go 10-0-0 in their next 10 games gaining 20 of a possible 20 points, then they would only need 32 points in the last 20 games (+12 games over .500). Or go 8-1-1 in every 10 game stretch X 3 stretches (30 games) then they would have achieved .850 hockey and finish just outside of the WC spot.

So all things considered believing a team coming out of a 3-16-1 record in last 20 games could go 25-3-2 in their last 30 is a tad too optimistic for me.

So I'm out !!! :(

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I do like a good gamble, but not even I would take 200 to 1 odds:laugh:

This.

The Leafs are not making the playoffs. Let's hope the freefall continues. It's best for this team.

Last edited:

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
As much as I hate to lose, this team has no real chance of making the playoffs at this point. What they are doing right now is exactly what we need them to do. As much as I hate to say it, winning is actually bad for this franchise right now.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Wake up people, we're not getting McDavid! :shakehead

There is a chance. Its small and getting better, but it is there.
In fact a better chance, than Stamkos and Babcock.

OP: If we get an 18 year old who can do what Hawerchuk did with the Jets, why not.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So, there's hope we make the playoffs by 2019-2020? ;)

Wake up people, we're not getting McDavid! :shakehead

As of today based on the standings the Leafs have a 6.5% chance of drafting #1 overall and .7% of making the playoffs while Leafs sit 6th from the bottom of the league.

Therefore the odds of McDavid are much higher than making the playoffs.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
As of today based on the standings the Leafs have a 6.5% chance of drafting #1 overall and .7% of making the playoffs while Leafs sit 6th from the bottom of the league.

Therefore the odds of McDavid are much higher than making the playoffs.

true, but neither is very good, why is the chance of getting McDavid so low, are the Leafs still considered that good or a lot better than many teams?

Dallas Eakins*

The 8 "No's" must have been from people trying to answer the question "2015 playoffs?" without reading the rest of the sentence.

Dallas Eakins*

true, but neither is very good, why is the chance of getting McDavid so low, are the Leafs still considered that good or a lot better than many teams?

That's simply if the season ended today obviously smart money suggests they'll plummet further. I'm seriously not sure if they'll ever win again.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There is a chance. Its small and getting better, but it is there.
In fact a better chance, than Stamkos and Babcock.

OP: If we get an 18 year old who can do what Hawerchuk did with the Jets, why not.

In my opinion there is zero chance we get anywhere near drafting McDavid! Even if we end up 3rd last, there's NO WAY Bettman allows us to win the 1st overall pick! Bettman is more interested in building the American side of the NHL. MLSE makes money hand over fist, even with icing a complete joke of a team. Bettman doesn't see a real need to HELP the Toronto Maple Leafs! Period.

I would put money on the Coyotes, or the Sabres, winning the 1st overall pick!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I gave up on 2015 in 2014.

Is it too early to give up on 2016 too?

:nod:

My guess is that we'll be Edmonton bad in 2015-2016!

What a shame Burke didn't go full rebuild in 2008! We could have been on the verge of being a powerhouse by now!

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
To be frank I had lost any hope before the season started. This team is not going anywhere. While there was curiosity if they'd pull off another playoff appearance it was clear to me that they would come up short in the long run. So no there was no hope what so ever for anything substantial this season.

Now let's see if they are finally willing to tear it down properly. Then we talk hope ...

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If you haven't given up by now, you're delusional. They're done, it's over, move on.

They have 48 points in 52 games currently. Lets say they need 95 points to make the playoffs, that's another 47 points needed and they only have 30 games remaining. From this point on they'd need to win about 24 games. Does anyone seriously think they can win 24 out of their next 30?

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
To be frank I had lost any hope before the season started. This team is not going anywhere. While there was curiosity if they'd pull off another playoff appearance it was clear to me that they would come up short in the long run. So no there was no hope what so ever for anything substantial this season.

Same feeling here. I had friends telling me how great we were at the beginning of the year, and I kept assuring them no, these are over-performing 3rd line players that no other teams wanted. You don't turn a team around in the off season by signing those types of guys; they are just plugs. What you CAN, and SHOULD do, is sign those guys, and do everything in your power to trade them while their value is at their highest for as many draft picks as you can. We missed the opportunity last year with Kulemin/Raymond/Bolland, who all could have netted us picks of SOME kind.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I have no faith in Nonis to do the right thing. I suspect he will trade Franson for a 25-year-old 3rd liner and then retain Santorelli in hopes of re-signing him. Then in the off-season he might move Polak for another 3rd liner and the rebuild will be complete.

Exactly. This is the year where the fans are asking and this is the year where the draft is apparently deep enough to change our fortunes but we will screw it up. Guaranteed

And what is with the 8 people who still have "hope"???

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I can't believe some fans are so delusional. There is literally no chance this team makes the playoffs anymore this year ZERO

Now it is just a matter if they are gonna get a top 3 draft pick or if they are gonna **** that up too and finish 10th in the East

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad