Have you become a Bernier believer?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Reimer will start on Tuesday. It's almost a given unless Bernier has a spectacular record against Minnesota.

Bernier didn't have his best night + the fact that the Leafs still want this to be a competition means that Reimer gets a chance to redeem himself.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
that's the unspoken story of the night.
they kept flashing to Reimer after the 4th (and 5th) goal. but nada.

this week is SO interesting.

We're playing the Wild, Canes and Hawks.
I dont know if I'd want to throw Reimer against the Hawks. I think Reimer needs to get in there and start playing but I don't know if I'd give him the wild EITHER..

so

Bernier/Reimer/Bernier?

Is it just me or is there ALOT of interconference games league wide in October?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bernier is 3-1 with 1.14GAA and .953 against Minny.
Reimer is 1-0, and had a shutout in the game.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Reimer will start on Tuesday. It's almost a given unless Bernier has a spectacular record against Minnesota.

Bernier didn't have his best night + the fact that the Leafs still want this to be a competition means that Reimer gets a chance to redeem himself.
His numbers are spectacular against them. 3-1-2 Record but all 3 wins were shutouts. 1.14 GaA and 953 S%

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
lol.

someone should've paid attention in grade nine math class

hopefully bernier starts again; win and you're in.

He didn't win vs Colorado yet got the next start... That theory is hypocritical to run by not to mention stupid.

It should be play the hot hand and ride it until it cools off win or lose... Bernier cooled off time for Reimer to respond other wise there's no competition Bernier is the #1 and trade Reimer now before he gets devalued like a few players had with Carlyle at the helm;)

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
He didn't win vs Colorado yet got the next start... That theory is hypocritical to run by not to mention stupid.

It should be play the hot hand and ride it until it cools off win or lose... Bernier cooled off time for Reimer to respond other wise there's no competition Bernier is the #1 and trade Reimer now before he gets devalued like a few players had with Carlyle at the helm;)

He also didn't get pulled after letting in 3 goals on 8 shots. I don't care how "good" the goals are, coaches generally tend to make the change with those kind of stats. I believe that the change in starters has already happened unless Bernier has several bad starts in a row. RC is just not anointing anyone publicly but it's going to be hard to hide soon enough. Reimer might start next but I wouldn't bet on it until the Leafs have a back to back.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Next game is Reimer's.

Man, some of you guys are acting like he's Toskala or something. He's still a quality goalie who has won a bunch of games for this team.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Next game is Reimer's.

Man, some of you guys are acting like he's Toskala or something. He's still a quality goalie who has won a bunch of games for this team.

That's not the prevailing theme here at all. Just because people think Bernier is better and is the starter does not mean that they also think Reimer is bad. Bernier DOES do things better than Reimer and even the coach says that it's easier to make the decisions on who starts now. Unfortunately for Reimer, he is going to have to play lights out every time he does get into a game or he's going to find is opportunities more and more limited

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I think it might be amusing to look at how some people were posting a few months ago when Reimer was a God among men, versus now when we cannot afford to let him play another game. :laugh:

It's ok. Bernier IS the #1 and has been since he was acquired. And based on what I've seen thus far, he deserves the position. However, ever since the 60's teams have two goalies and play the other one from time to time.

Outside the big glove save (and generally "big spectacular saves" often mean the goalie was out of position in the first place) Bernier was not great last night.
There is nothing wrong with giving Reimer the next game and personally I think it is appropriate because: We need him to be sharp, in case of injury, in case other teams are looking at him for a trade, in case for some reason Bernier's game goes south for awhile.
There is really no good reason to not give Reimer a game, no matter how big the man crush on Bernier is.
I mean if Reimer is our back-up, he might be the best back-up in the league.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think it might be amusing to look at how some people were posting a few months ago when Reimer was a God among men, versus now when we cannot afford to let him play another game. :laugh:

It's ok. Bernier IS the #1 and has been since he was acquired. And based on what I've seen thus far, he deserves the position. However, ever since the 60's teams have two goalies and play the other one from time to time.

Outside the big glove save (and generally "big spectacular saves" often mean the goalie was out of position in the first place) Bernier was not great last night.
There is nothing wrong with giving Reimer the next game and personally I think it is appropriate because: We need him to be sharp, in case of injury, in case other teams are looking at him for a trade, in case for some reason Bernier's game goes south for awhile.
There is really no good reason to not give Reimer a game, no matter how big the man crush on Bernier is.
I mean if Reimer is our back-up, he might be the best back-up in the league.

Bernier was not out of position on that save. That puck luckily found it's way to the front and he made a good save to keep it 5-4.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Ride Bernier until he has an ugly game. Last game he was pretty average, but so was the D.

I have to agree, at the end of the day, he got the job done. The first goal he had no chance after getting tripped up, he made a mistake on the Eberle goal, it happens, and the one that was thrown out form behind the net was a mix of unlucky and bad defence.

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Give Reimer the start next game and don't let Bernier get comfortable (by comfortable, I mean leading to complacency).

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Bernier's next start will be interesting. Will he come back strong or will Reimer suddenly find himself back in contention for the number one starter job again?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That's not the prevailing theme here at all. Just because people think Bernier is better and is the starter does not mean that they also think Reimer is bad. Bernier DOES do things better than Reimer and even the coach says that it's easier to make the decisions on who starts now. Unfortunately for Reimer, he is going to have to play lights out every time he does get into a game or he's going to find is opportunities more and more limited

Carlyle has gone out of his way to make it clear that a #1 has not been anointed yet. Bernier has started the last three so either Carlyle is full of it and Bernier is his #1, or he is being genuine that there is a competition for the job, in which case, it's time to let Reimer have a shot at the competition.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I've been a huge proponent of Bernier, but I think Reimer should get the next start. Carlyle needs to make sure he doesn't go stale on the bench.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Lol, Scrivens got a shutout in his first start as LA.

Scrivens played extremely well here in Toronto, as the back up. Better number as a back up than many others over a long period of time. Reimer should get the next start. Unless the Leafs are out of the playoffs by the TDD, I can see Reimer bring traded at the draft or offseason, rather than the regular season. I'm willing to bet one of them will be gone by next season opener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad