Confirmed with Link: Haula, Wallmark, Priskie & Luostarinen for Trocheck; 2021 5th round pick to VGK

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Wow...sounds like he and Zinger are in similar circumstances except the Top 6 part.

Dishonest statistics. He's a playmaker.

Trocheck* has 6 goals and 21 points in his last 30 games. On pace for 57 points over that period as a right handed Center signed for 2 more years at $4.75 million. And Trocheck is only actually paid $3.5 million salary next year.

Compare that to Jordan Staal who has 5 goals and 13 points over his last 30 games and you see the upside.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
i think we're going to pressure jack drury into coming out if we can at the conclusion of his season and david cotton should be on the way as well. that's a lot of depth down the middle coming into the system. i think it made eetu a bit expendable.
This would be the one area where this move would make sense. Cotton has a pretty nice upside and two-way game in his own right and Drury is like a higher upside version of Eetu. If we are convinced we'll be able to get Cotton under contract after the season making room for him as the AHL 1 / NHL 4 makes sense (though I think that goes to Bishop).

Reactions: zman77

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
A guy's got to fit.

If he's playing solid two way hockey even though he's in a scoring slump, then he's better than Haula, who was in a scoring slump and not playing solid two way hockey (and apparently bitching about his minutes in the process).

It's still about scoring, but it's not all about scoring all the time.
I agree..but our gameday threads seem to tell a different story.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I like Trocheck. I’m actually down with the buy low here because he was awesome before and he’s 26.

The sticker shock us what’s getting me. Four for a guy struggling as bad as he has seems a little much.

Two years ago they never would’ve traded this guy. He’s awesome when he’s healthy. Healthy he knocks Staal down a line. I do think he can impact as much as Haula has since his initial outburst at least so I doubt it hurts us now at all. I liked Wally but he’s a tweeter. Too good for the fourth line, not good enough offensively consistently to displace a good third line center. I’ve said it before and mean it still though, Wally could replace most of Staal.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
When these trades are brewing you bring in your experienced players.
I'm assuming Waddell brought in Staal, Williams and maybe Slavin asking what players
are the toughest to play against. If such conversations took place, Vincent Trocheck would tick all the boxes of a future team-mate.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like Trocheck. I’m actually down with the buy low here because he was awesome before and he’s 26.

The sticker shock us what’s getting me. Four for a guy struggling as bad as he has seems a little much.

Two years ago they never would’ve traded this guy. He’s awesome when he’s healthy. Healthy he knocks Staal down a line. I do think he can impact as much as Haula has since his initial outburst at least so I doubt it hurts us now at all. I liked Wally but he’s a tweeter. Too good for the fourth line, not good enough offensively consistently to displace a good third line center. I’ve said it before and mean it still though, Wally could replace most of Staal.

Remember when Dorion justified the Karlsson return by essentially saying “we got 6 things”?

I’m trying not to be sad about 4 things and instead assess how this actually impacts a) the roster and b) organizational depth, and the answers are a) by adding a legit top 6 center and b) not much.

Reactions: cptjeff and zman77

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I like the trade, but I think the "build a statue" thinking is a bit over the top. We took a calculated gamble with Trocheck. If he stays at the level he's at now for the duration of his contract, it's probably a wash. If he recovers some of his previous burst and touch around the net in his second and third seasons post-injury, then we win.

But to call this a "steal" is just hyperbolic.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
What a great deal.

Haula's value to the org is only this year with that bum leg, and it wasn't carrying much value, on top of whatever else was going on. To upgrade from him to Trocheck for 3 years is a big deal.

Losing Wally is a bummer. But in the end, a guy having a career years with 23 points in 60 games. It's a Riley Nash situation. I was always skeptical of Wallmark, but I think he's turned himself into a valuable depth guy that'll probably play 500 games in the NHL.

Priskie was a free agent signing who didn't look like he was going to make it to the NHL for us. And Eetu got his shot, and looked like an AHL'r. Another solid checker longshot NHL'r.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Haula definitely wasn't in our future plans, and has been playing like sh*t for awhile. Given Wallmark's RFA status, and the fact that he was traded tells me the borg didn't have him in their future plans either. Acquiring Keane made Priskie expendable. Luostarinen seems like a future Wallmark. None of these guys are tough to give up.

The concerning thing is Trocheck has injury history and is hasn't played well for a couple of seasons according to Panthers fans. We haven't really hit the ball out of the park for these value acquisitions with injury history (Gardner, De Haan, Halua). We are pretty much striking out... Maybe we get lucky this time.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I like the trade, but I think the "build a statue" thinking is a bit over the top. We took a calculated gamble with Trocheck. If he stays at the level he's at now for the duration of his contract, it's probably a wash. If he recovers some of his previous burst and touch around the net in his second and third seasons post-injury, then we win.

But to call this a "steal" is just hyperbolic.
I mean he supposedly sucks right now, and his scoring pace would be Top 4 on the team. That alone is worth it for us.

The upside of him potentially regaining his form absolutely makes it a steal for us.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Amazingly with the deal we are a top 6 winger away from having the nicest top 6 we've had since the championship season. Hope springs eternal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad