Player Discussion: Hattrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Still think Laine and Ehlers could be magic this year. They are both far better players then in years past.
I think EWL would work well, and wouldn't put Laine in a mainly playmaking position. If it doesn't, put him back

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems like most are happy but some are not satisfied with Laine this season?

So he is playing on the top line with Scheif which was what almost everyone wanted last season? He is currently on pace to put up his highest shot totals of his career at about 170? He has rounded out his game and looks like he may have a shot at being a PPG player this season.

Listen I get it his shooting % has cooled off this season but he still has solid career numbers and this stuff tends to ebb and flow from year to year. Currently Pate has a career shooting % of 15.0 compare that to a few of the other high end snipers.............Bombers like Ovi 12.6%, Stammer 16.7%, Seguin 10.9%, Pastrnak 14.8.....then guys that shoot more from close range Connor 15.0%, Stone 15.4%, Schief 16.2%, Matthews 15.9%. When looking at this sample group Pate is doing just fine and he is due to go on a heater again anytime soon.

I see very strong progression in his game this season as a hockey player in all sustainable facets including an uptick in shooting volume. Every shooter squeezes their stick at times and, prolonged though it may be, that's all that happening now. He hasn't lost his world class shot he is just riding the same roller coaster all the elite guys do.

In summary: Keep up the good work son! :thumbu:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

So he is playing on the top line with Scheif which was what almost everyone wanted last season? He is currently on pace to put up his highest shot totals of his career at about 170? He has rounded out his game and looks like he may have a shot at being a PPG player this season.

Listen I get it his shooting % has cooled off this season but he still has solid career numbers and this stuff tends to ebb and flow from year to year. Currently Pate has a career shooting % of 15.0 compare that to a few of the other high end snipers.............Bombers like Ovi 12.6%, Stammer 16.7%, Seguin 10.9%, Pastrnak 14.8.....then guys that shoot more from close range Connor 15.0%, Stone 15.4%, Schief 16.2%, Matthews 15.9%. When looking at this sample group Pate is doing just fine and he is due to go on a heater again anytime soon.

I see very strong progression in his game this season as a hockey player in all sustainable facets including an uptick in shooting volume. Every shooter squeezes their stick at times and, prolonged though it may be, that's all that happening now. He hasn't lost his world class shot he is just riding the same roller coaster all the elite guys do.

I think the "problem" (as it's relative) for Laine is he's not really the trigger man on his line or the PP. He's become the quasi-playmaker on his line with Scheifele and especially Connor reaping the goal scoring benefits and he's become somewhat neutered on the power play. He's had a fine all-around season but some things will need to change for him to regain his goal scoring form IMO.

Reactions: teamfortheone

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Call him ridiculously lucky on 15-16 as well then.

Luck doesn't work like that. There is no way you are "lucky" 3 seasons in a row. Snowballs chance in hell.

If his huge November 2018 was all he did got, you could call him just lucky and get away with that, without any problem. But you can't be lucky for 3.5 seasons straight, that's just mad.

His back problems / reduced hip rotation (confirmed) late 18-19 affected his shot a lot, and also he is known to have a huge confidence boost when he is on -- not that rare for shooters, look at Ehlers as well: when Nik is in a slump, he almost never scores, when he has "it", he scores a lot.
Luck works over small samples. He totally could've been lucky 3 seasons in a row. He's been unlucky since the end of November 2018. That's most of 2 seasons now.

Reactions: Sperss1997 and GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think the "problem" (as it's relative) for Laine is he's not really the trigger man on his line or the PP. He's become the quasi-playmaker on his line with Scheifele and especially Connor reaping the goal scoring benefits and he's become somewhat neutered on the power play. He's had a fine all-around season but some things will need to change for him to regain his goal scoring form IMO.

It's not like he's not getting shots -
He is more of a playmaker than he has ever been but he's also getting his fair share of shots.
I'd also consider Scheif who has more assists so he might also be the considered a playmaker on the line. Even KC has 23 so it's not like these guys are not playing off each other.

What needs to change is his shooting percentage -

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
If it's a 2 on 1 it seems that Laine is always looking to pass now. I just want him to use his biggest gift - that shot.

Maybe there's pressure on him to pass first so the other guys in 1st line don't think he is selfish.

That would be a shame because he should be encouraged to prefer shooting over passing. Was it Roslovic that Laine fed last week in a 2 on 0? No goal, should have preferred shot but didn't. Coach could tell him to stop deferring to lesser shooters if he has a shot himself. You'd think teammates would understand why that's a good idea.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It plain as day why Laine isn't scoring. His line mates don't react to him, he reacts to them. Schiefele and Connor skate in circles below the hash marks. Laine scores off the rush or dropping into the high slot from up high. Connor and Scheifele never make that pass. Luckily Laine is a high IQ player and has adjusted to make the most of his situation. It's hard to score when the other 2 guys on your Laine always carry the puck and don't pass to Laine where he shoots from.

I am actually quite impressed Laine has managed these point totals based on what I saw from him last season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It plain as day why Laine isn't scoring. His line mates don't react to him, he reacts to them. Schiefele and Connor skate in circles below the hash marks. Laine scores off the rush or dropping into the high slot from up high. Connor and Scheifele never make that pass. Luckily Laine is a high IQ player and has adjusted to make the most of his situation. It's hard to score when the other 2 guys on your Laine always carry the puck and don't pass to Laine where he shoots from.

I am actually quite impressed Laine has managed these point totals based on what I saw from him last season.
And this seems to be by design. Maurice keeping a forward high to hustle back and help out the D. Laine made a nice play on the backcheck the other night, so I'm sure Maurice feels 100% justified in this state of affairs...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
now its scheifele's fault he isn't scoring and not little's.

Let's not start a 'fault' argument again. I think everyone is just discussing playing tendencies and how to maybe get that incredible shot back, in light of the fact that we need goals some games.

Once one side starts the 'fault' argument, the other side will respond and this thread will be back to the mess it was.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
now its scheifele's fault he isn't scoring and not little's.
must be Scheifele and Maurice's fault Laine is passing on those 2 on 1s, 3 on 0s etc :rolleyes:

on pace for his highest shot count of his careers and is 0.12 behind the team lead in shots/60. however his sh% is no longer in the elite tier. bu bu but pass first. his linemates have more total and primary assists than him at 5v5

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016

This is well said.

Goal scorers have “good” and “bad” seasons, so-to-speak. Alex Ovechkin has had seasons in the low 30’s goal-wise (32, 32, 33), and he’s had numerous 50+ goal seasons (including a 65 goal season in there back in 2007-08).

I like that Laine is essentially a PPG player this year on a year where he’s got lower-than-expected goal totals so far. I also really like that he’s shooting the puck a lot - with his shot, he’ll get lots of goals over his career if he keeps shooting at a high volume. The bottom line is he’s generating offense and there’s no doubt that he’s a better all-around player this year in comparison to prior seasons. The goals will come in due course.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This is well said.

Goal scorers have “good” and “bad” seasons, so-to-speak. Alex Ovechkin has had seasons in the low 30’s goal-wise (32, 32, 33), and he’s had numerous 50+ goal seasons (including a 65 goal season in there back in 2007-08).

I like that Laine is essentially a PPG player this year on a year where he’s got lower-than-expected goal totals so far. I also really like that he’s shooting the puck a lot - with his shot, he’ll get lots of goals over his career if he keeps shooting at a high volume. The bottom line is he’s generating offense and there’s no doubt that he’s a better all-around player this year in comparison to prior seasons. The goals will come in due course.
As long as he reaches 30. Ovie had 15 seasons of 30 straight. Him and Gartner.

Reactions: teamfortheone

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This is well said.

I agree. I'm very happy with his progression. He will be 21 until near the very end of the regular season and I always have to remember this. Most players are not even in the NHL at this point in their careers.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Required changes:
ESL
CWR(or C, or A, or L, or MP)

Ehlers on PP1

Problem solved.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How will this improve Laine's shooting percentage?

At 5v5? More high quality setups? Those 3 had real chemistry 2 or 3 years ago, but weak D. Both Ehlers and Laine play much better D now. Lets see if the chemistry is still there.

On the PP? Zone entries alone will make the PP a lot more effective. It would probably give something like 50% more zone time for the 1st unit.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I love how people say that it's somehow his linemates fault that he is unable to shoot off the rush. There is another team on the ice as well, chances off the rush tend to be the highest percentage plays which is why the other team is going to try its darnedest to not give up uncontested shots off the rush and try to be in position to block off passes that are trying to setup a shot off of the rush. Unless there is a clear odd man situation, you are generally going to find it had to get a quality shot off straight off the rush, his linemates are not passing to him in that situation most likely because there aren't lanes open to make that pass (or if they are, he is not a good enough position to shoot), not because they lack the vision or skill to make that pass.

Reactions: DRW204

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Required changes:
ESL
CWR(or C, or A, or L, or MP)

Ehlers on PP1

Problem solved.
If your a fan of ehlers then that's a required change but if your a fan of the hockey team this makes no sense. If they change the 1st line then laine should come off cause connor and scheifele work good. Wont even get into roslovic on 2nd line. Counting the days till little comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad