Player Discussion: Hattrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I like the fact that we have options on that line that allow us to score from different areas - we have 3 players that differ in where they score from and where they prefer to set up - that's a nice bunch of options to have on the O zone.
Laine's had plenty of opportunity to score and at some point, the flood gates should open.
The first game against TO tells me that he's getting his chances - the goals will comes if he keeps shooting like that.
I'd bet we are one of the worst teams in the league is HDSC differential. That's my eye test.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
So the problem at first was NOT playing with Scheifele, and now the problem is that he IS playing with Scheifele.
That is not what was said, but whatever. What’s interesting now is how they play, not who Laine plays with. He’s on the first line, and rightfully so. It might very well be a coaching decision to play low risk plays down low and around the boards. It’s just a shmne that we so seldom see them tee up one of the best onetimers in the league.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
If Laine's line mates were not properly using him, he has two choices.

1. Do it all yourself. Once you get the puck, it's yours. Taylor Hall esque, but with a better shot. You get lots of goals.

2. You use your line mates, who are both excellent shooters. Instead of one 30 goal guy, you have 3 between 15 and 20.

I think the line mates are working fine together, but theoretically, he should still be a passer if they weren't.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That is not what was said, but whatever. What’s interesting now is how they play, not who Laine plays with. He’s on the first line, and rightfully so. It might very well be a coaching decision to play low risk plays down low and around the boards. It’s just a shmne that we so seldom see them tee up one of the best onetimers in the league.

No, but if you decide to interpret it like that then feel free.

Well, last season the issue was that he was playing with Little, and not on the top line with the best centre, which was why he was struggling. Now that he is playing with that centre, he doesn't look to pass to Laine and that's a problem too.

Laine is doing really well on the top line. To me, if he's getting points, that means that someone is scoring and that's fine. I have no problem with 40g and 40a, or 0g and 80a. Points mean team goals.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Well, last season the issue was that he was playing with Little, and not on the top line with the best centre, which was why he was struggling. Now that he is playing with that centre, he doesn't look to pass to Laine and that's a problem too.

Laine is doing really well on the top line. To me, if he's getting points, that means that someone is scoring and that's fine. I have no problem with 40g and 40a, or 0g and 80a. Points mean team goals.
Wasn't a problem for me. I don't care who he plays with as long as the line works.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I've noticed this all season long. Scheifele and Connor absolutely refuse to use Laine as the trigger man.

Laine is number 2 in shots on goal (Jets) - he is one of the key trigger men for sure and he isn't creating all those chances on his own. What's off a bit is his S% - sooner or later, they'll start going in at a higher rate and the discussion will change.

I know you didn't necessarily refer to this in your post but it looks like he gets his share of shots and chances -

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I feel that most are satisfied with his devolopment. My only proof is that this isn't a madhouse anymore. Sure, some might "argue" about goals and assists, but it really feels that the team play is more important.

Not that he just might relearn to score like no other, even if the first line isn't optimal for his scoring talents, but ...as a team man, not a box office guy that I'm kinda a bit now. First eye test in the morning is has he scored, second one is has he passed that lead to a goal. :D

But yeah, I can see everyone's opinion without pointing anyone out because there's no reason. Laine has played pretty well, even when it's not in the scoreboard.

And yeah, I like that this is more peaceful conversation. Last years have been insanity of kinds.

So thanks all for keeping it down (mods, if you have been involved, god bless you..). Laine will be a great player. In which role and how good. That I can't answer (though a little bit more scoring would be fine with me, but passing that leads to a goal... is a goal).

teamfortheone

Nov 4, 2019
Very good points so far.

I agree Laine is not utilized to the best of his strenghts, mostly because Little got injured. He should play with Wheeler or MP in his line, IMO. I doubt no one saw 81-55-29 to play this much this season.

It’s sad there’s no clear playmaker in the Jets roster. Building optimal lineups is difficult, especially when PMo prefers to have Lowry’s line without any talented shooter and keep that line as a clear checking/defense line.

Also playing decoy in the middle during PP is kind of sad for every Laine fan. Unlucky for Laine and his fans, it works for the team.

Another fact I can’t help thinking is his bridge deal. If he fails, it’s more money for the others. Plus he made some very stupid comments offseason so there’s every right for the others to not like him that much.

But before someone goes again crying Laine’s fans should accept Laine’s responsibility for not scoring I agree he has his weaknesses, including:

- Not good at zone entries. Tries to dangle himself through the D. Hate to see this every time, because it has worked like once.
- Can mainly score onetimers and wristers. They are easy to take away by blocking shooting/passing lanes or just having two D men around him all the time.
- Very slow acceleration. Speed is fine when he gets going.
- He should be more selfish. No more passing away good shooting chances unless it’s for a wide open slot.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Laine's goals aren't coming like they did in the first two seasons at least partly because he doesn't cheat anymore. What's surprising to me is the decline in PP goals. I'm wondering if his back issues affected his shot somewhat.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Jets PP is leeching on the reputation Laine made himself previously. So far it is working, and the moment teams figure it out they try cover other threats too. And that WILL result Laine scoring on PP. Also, Jets tactic with this D is not doing favors for individual scoring stats. If jets D gets upgraded, I bet Patty will score some more goals.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wonder what an Ehlers-Wheeler-Laine line would do?
Most likely cause different issues for Laine :laugh:

Seriously, though - I am very happy with Patrik this year. He's learned a lot, and taken some pretty big strides in his development. The reason I am so hard on Laine is that he is a special player. He has all the tools to be the Jets best player (and will hopefully be that soon). I just want to see him put it all together. He frustrates me at times with his decisions and his refusal to use his speed and size consistently. I think he is stationary far too often.

I used to be highly critical of Byfuglien for similar reasons. A truly unique player who's process between the ears limited him from becoming the best defenseman in the NHL. He eventually sorted a bunch of that stuff out and I loved him (mostly) for the last two seasons.

Scheifele as well. He is far too casual defensively, and makes some dumb dumb plays on our side of center. All of our players have opportunities to be better, but Laine is the one guy on our roster who could be a true superstar. I want to see that, not only for the Jets, but for him.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Why don't Laine score as much goals? Connor and Sheiffele are selfish, there i said it.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Laine's goals aren't coming like they did in the first two seasons at least partly because he doesn't cheat anymore. What's surprising to me is the decline in PP goals. I'm wondering if his back issues affected his shot somewhat.
The eye-test says his wind-ups and follow through are a bit shorter than they were last season, it wouldn’t surprise if he didn’t have a slightly smaller range of motion in his thoracic-lumbar spine..I hope that just playing and following his physical therapist’s post rehab protocol, whatever that is, gives him his mobility and Range of motion back..’loved to see that missile launch of a shot!

Reactions: Jedub

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So, some says Laine hit the boards way more than his first two seasons combined. Other ppl says he hit the goalie too much...

It is way more likely that Laine were ridicilous lucky the first couple of seasons, shooting with unreal shooting %. Regression had to come. Now he is likely on the downside of variance and can expect to heat up a bit.

He is shooting more which is a good sign, but for someone who is on pp1 and the pp1 is custom made for his shot, then 3 shots per game isnt much.

Some say Laine wanted to show Maurice he is a two way player. I would say he is far from that and that Laine is working on becoming a two way player. He has made progress, which we all should be happy about.

Talking contract right now doesnt make sense. Who knows what player Laine is in two years time and what cap situation we have?

View attachment 305949 View attachment 305951
thanks for this, do you have other Jets fwds notably Scheif, Connor, Ehlers and Wheeler RAPM charts?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why don't Laine score as much goals? Connor and Sheiffele are selfish, there i said it.

Laine is tied for the team lead in Shots per game, 2nd in shots/60, and will likely finish with his highest SOG count for his career. His shooting efficiency has regressed the past two seasons (currently at 10.34%) and is no longer in the upper teens for SH% as seen in his first two years. Connor and Scheifele score goals at a better shooting rate this season. If Laine could stlill convert his shots to goals at a rate similar to KC (14.47%) or Scheifele (20%), there wouldn't be this discussion of KC and Scheifele supposedly being selfish.

Reactions: GothenburgJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad