Has the time come to name a Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Also u have this article from September 2014

But it was Jenner’s approach to the game — quiet, direct, relentless — that won the trust of coaches, the admiration of his teammates and the grudging attention of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
In other words, the boy may have left the farm, but the farm has not left the boy.
“The way that he works … it’s like he doesn’t know any other way,” Blue Jackets center Mark Letestu said. “He’s got that farm-boy approach to it, still.”
The Blue Jackets have short-term and long-term views of what to expect from Jenner — and both leave them giddy.
Many within the organization see Jenner as a future captain of the Blue Jackets. At this rate — the club is entering its third season without a “C” — he might be the next captain.
It seems almost inevitable.
Jenner was captain of his PeeWee team when he was 9 years old, and he’s been captain of every team since, he said, including the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League.
“I’m not worried about that,” he said. “I’m not going to change if I have a letter or I don’t. I’m going to do what I do, on and off the ice.
“I definitely have that leadership ability, but a lot of guys here do.”
Blue Jackets players say Jenner already is a leader, though not a vocal one. Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, James Wisniewski … those are the prominent voices in the dressing room during games.
“I don’t know that he’ll ever be a rah-rah guy,” Letestu said. “But guys gravitate to his style of play. Guys get behind that.”
In the short term, Jenner is expected to build off last season, when he went from having a distinct name — Boone is his given name, by the way — to earning a name for his play.

“I’m really excited to see what he can do,” coach Todd Richards said. “To me, he’s a guy who has talent and skill, but he has determination that’s off the charts, a work ethic that is off the charts.
“I’m expecting a lot more from him in terms of leading the way, just by the way he works.”

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
Shawn Mitchell @smitchcd · 1h 1 hour ago
Shift in #CBJ players' public take on the captain issue. Now saying the team needs one and expects to have one next season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I suggest we go with rotating A's next year based on home and away like some teams do.

Foligno seems to have really grown into C material so I'd be ok with either him or Dubinsky.

C: Foligno or Dubinsky

Home
A: Foligno or Dubinsky
A: Jenner

Away
A: Hartnell
A: Letestu or other unknown individual. I would have put Murray here but I think his missed time this season set him back from a leadership development perspective.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Shift in #CBJ players' public take on the captain issue. Now saying the team needs one and expects to have one next season.

How a team selects a captain is not fixed, correct? IMO the C should always be given to a player based on roster consensus and to recognize what a player already does rather than encourage them to behave in a certain way.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Not being a tweeter, what does this mean? Is this the players view or the front office's view? If it is the players view I don't know if really matters, it has to be the front office's view.

Okay I just checked this out and its apparently the players saying they need one. Must be that one OT loss that convinced them. :laugh:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Personally, I don't really care but if the players want one, then I guess that changes things for the FO.

C candidates I'd be fine with - Foligno, Dubinsky, Jenner
A candidates I'd be fine with - any of the above candidates, Letestu (if brought back), Johnson, Tyutin, Hartnell, Calvert.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not being a tweeter, what does this mean? Is this the players view or the front office's view? If it is the players view I don't know if really matters, it has to be the front office's view.

Okay I just checked this out and its apparently the players saying they need one. Must be that one OT loss that convinced them. :laugh:

I think it means that for three years now they've agreed and gone along with the no captain / captain by committee. But now "going on record" that they would like someone to have the C.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Honestly, I see those that have spoken up about it are showing some of the leadership the FO was waiting for.

They are being a voice for the players on the team.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm a firm believer that this "controversy" is primarily Portzline created but given how the team performed when the popular Wisniewski was traded (admittedly, not the greatest sample size) I have faith that management knows how to handle the dressing room at least. No captaincy next season isn't a problem.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I expect (and hope, maybe just hope) the club to eventually announce Jenner as captain. And they'll have a lot of discussions with Dubinsky and JJ and other big voices to make sure they keep doing what they do. There are two reasons for the delay: 1) Jenner is young and recently injured, and 2) there is a desire not to disrupt the parts of the leadership core that do work well.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
For what it's worth, Ryan Murray has captained every team he's ever been on except for the World Championship squad he was on as an 18-year-old.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
Foligno or Dubi for me. Jenner I think should maybe start off with the A then he can be groomed for the future captaincy if needed instead. Test tube and Hartnell are also good A candidates. Murray needs to have a healthy season in my opinion before he can be in this discussion.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
So, with player comments about the timeliness of naming a captain at this juncture of team development, can we drop the myth that the issue is solely a product of Porty's fevered imagination?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Which may explain why management has put off having this discussion.

Agreed...not just waiting as to Murray also. There was some discussion (not just here) of Horton as C, then Boone, but injuries put those two on hold as well (Horton being on hold like me on hold with the IRS on the phone, as in forever). Foligno did not emerge as a serious C candidate until this year. Dubi was injured going into this year.

Dubi would seem to be the "obvious" choice. I'd be fine with it (why that matters? it doesn't). But wondering if the "obvious" choice is perceived as too maniacal at times for all of his teammates. That level of intensity works for the entire team in the playoffs, in a playoff run, it works in the "high profile" games, it works for some all the time, but will that in-your-face approach work for Joey, Nick, Murray over 82 games? We'd love to think it would, some here (me too at times) thinks maybe if the Jackets had that maniacal intensity in October that they would avoid the early season blues and still finish strong like they have the past 3 years.
But too hot all the time over an 82 game season wears out on players who are more even-keeled emotionally - and especially on talented players who are emotionally not as volatile. That doesn't excuse floating (not accusing anyone of floating or defending anyone either), but you can't play 82 games emotionally as if each one were the SC Final, Game 7. We'd like to think they can, and should. That just isn't going to happen for most. That doesn't make anything wrong with Dubi, but just possibly he isn't the best C for the team as a whole over an entire 82 game season. Definitely need someone who brings it EVERY night like Dubi, but knows how to dial it up AND dial it down with teammates. There are times in-your-face is absolutely needed, but there are times when a team just needs a pat on the butt and a laugh- like after 2 well- and hard-played L's on the road (notice I said well and hard-played). Maybe Dubi does/can do that, but from the outside looking in, his intensity may not allow that downshift in emotion (not downshift in effort or caring) that sometimes is needed. The other issue with naming Dubi as C is that if they think Boone is the best C candidate long-term but just needs another year or two, then how do you make Dubi the C now and "demote" him in 2 years and elevate Boone... Dubi would have the C for 5+ years (assuming he stays healthy), and that may be seen as too long a wait to make Boone the C....

JJ, imo needs to get his own stuff together off the ice (understandably) and play in beast mode more consistently the entire year before getting my vote for C (which counts for diddly squat).

Murray, love his game, but would he really be under serious consideration at this time with the number of games missed? He hasn't had time to fully develop his own game; would be hard-pressed to think he's a C-type presence...yet.

We all see the pre- and post-game interviews, we see the play on the ice, but we don't see what goes on in the room, on the bench or in practice. My guess is that FO has seen several leaders with certain strengths and weaknesses, but noone yet being THE guy. Long-term that looks like Boone, his only weakness being time. If they want to go in Boone's direction now, they need to get buy-in from Dubi, Fliggy, JJ, Hartnell and Murray. Not just acceptance, but full buy-in. The players saying they want a C, and agreeing on who that might be, are 2 different things. It was interesting to me that noone yesterday said "X should be the C." It seems odd that FO determines C, and not the players - but I'm not sure the players could decide by a majority vote either. And that may be the dilemma the FO has been avoiding, and now may need to resolve, hopefully with some consensus input from the leadership group.

And I've left Bob out of the discussion only because G not likely to be (cannot be) a C. But his input on who should be the C also of high value.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
IMO there is not even a discussion of Ryan Murray. A captain needs to play more than 1/3 of the games he was elgible to play in. Maybe its bad luck, maybe hes fragile or doesnt play thru pain as well as others ? Going into this season I was of mindset that it was Dubinskys to lose. Talk about a guy that has bought in. He was traded from the rangers, and look at the success they have had. He never hung his head, and when we were playing miserable hockey towards the beginning of last season, I remember him giving interviews of how the effort wasnt acceptable , and each playe rneeded to look into the mirror. This is just one example, but Dubi seems like a perfect choice. Being that this has went on for a couple years now, I really think the FO wants the captain to be Boone. Which I'm ok with as well. Foligno seems like a good dude, but someone pointed out earlier, he was a part time A this season ?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If injuries are the reason people write off Ryan Murray then you might want to write off Jenner too. He's missed a lot of time in his first two seasons too.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Its impossible to know who should be the C unless you are in the room on a daily basis.
But with that I would go with Dubi just because of how much it would piss off the Pens fans. :)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If injuries are the reason people write off Ryan Murray then you might want to write off Jenner too. He's missed a lot of time in his first two seasons too.

103 (Jenner) to 78 (Murray). Plus Murray eventually missed a playoff game last season whereas Jenner played all 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad