Has the time come to name a Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I think the time has come to once again discuses who should be the Jackets next Captain.

Up until now I have felt that the rotating A's have been the best situation for the team. But it has now become clear that its time to name a Captain and it should be Brandon Dubinsky. His actions on and off the ice have shown he's a true leader and quotes from his teammates like this one from last night "He's our leader, for sure. I think it's pretty obvious. I love playing with him" - Cam Atkinson lead me to believe that he is all ready their leader.

Where do you stand? Is Dubinsky the guy, someone else or should they stay with the rotating A's for now?

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Quoting my GDT post on this topic from, like, fifteen minutes ago or so...

The principal difference between Dubi as he is now and Dubi with a C is that he'd be the first guy who'd have to talk to the refs when something goes wrong.

I think I'd rather stick with the "no official leader" policy and have First Citizen Dubinsky delegate such responsibilities to another alternate so that the refs don't turn on us. :)

Maybe we should put a "P" on his shirt for "Princeps" or something...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Can any fan name an instance where having a captain would have benefited the team this season?

Haven't really thought that leadership has been an issue with the post-2012 disaster. In fact, resiliency has been probably the strongest point of the team.

Seems like a bigger issue to the fans/portzline than the team. This isn't the Grove City High School freshman football team. They don't need leaders.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I have no idea if it's necessary, but speculation will certainly continue until it does happen. Up until recently, I was in the JMFJ camp, primarily because of his captaincy of the national team. In recent days, though, I think it's become clear, at least to me, the Brandon Dubinsky has assumed the primary leadership role on the team. I won't be disappointed if someone else is appointed, but I will be surprised.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Maybe not just this minute, but soon. Just because it's tough to pinpoint when having a captain would benefit the team doesn't mean we don't need a captain, and I agree it should be Dubinsky (of course, I have no idea what really goes on in the locker room, I'm basing my opinion just on watching the games).

I thought JMFJ would be the guy I wanted but Dubinsky has changed that for me.

But I would like to see a captain named soon, I think it just completes the team in a way.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Can any fan name an instance where having a captain would have benefited the team this season?

Haven't really thought that leadership has been an issue with the post-2012 disaster. In fact, resiliency has been probably the strongest point of the team.

Seems like a bigger issue to the fans/portzline than the team. This isn't the Grove City High School freshman football team. They don't need leaders.

I do agree. The C in hockey is one of the most over rated things in sports. I would have no problem if no captain is named, but I do think that he over anyone else has earned the right to be named the captain of the team.

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
I am in the pro-captain camp. While I agree we have many good leaders the purpose of having a captain goes beyond on-ice leadership. The captain is the face of the franchise, he's the one who they market. Think about how many jersys, t-shirts and other memorabilia they could sell for the new captain. Right now CBJ is the only team in the NHL without a captain and (IMHO) it looks bush league to have 4 guys with A's and no captain.

On opening night it was Dubinsky who took the ceremonial face off, something the captain does. To me this indicates the team and the organization looks to him as the leader. I say we make it official and give Dubi the "C".

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I've made my thoughts pretty clear in a couple of different threads. They can't name Dubinsky captain fast enough for me. He's the leader and teams follow their leader. If this team plays like their leader, there is no way they won't make the playoffs. Dubie is exactly the kind of captain this team needs. He plays with an edge, sticks up for himself and his teammates. That kind of attitude is contagious and is exactly what this organization needs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No captain please.

1) All you folks switching around your favorite for the captaincy are providing perhaps the best argument for why we shouldn't name a captain. Once you pick, you don't get to switch. You'd be stuck with the fan favorites of yesteryear: Umberger to Wiz or JJ, etc...

2) This is all speculation but our locker room seems to be great with lots of guys ready to stand up when needed. You don't need to appoint a leader for that, and if anything entitling one guy would hurt that organic leadership.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...The C in hockey is one of the most over rated things in sports...

Actually, I think the captaincy in hockey is the only one in sports that does matter. Can anyone name the captain of the Browns, Bengals, or Cavs? I can't. I think we all know that the role of captain in hockey is different from the other major sports, both on and off the playing surface. There is more responsibility to mediate and facilitate communication between players and management, as well as on-ice communication with the officials. Those are not seen as significant roles for captains in the other major sports. Perhaps one isn't absolutely necessary, but how many teams actually dispense with one? I think one will be named for the Jackets in the next few days, the leaders for whom Richards has been waiting have begun to emerge.

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
No captain please.

1) All you folks switching around your favorite for the captaincy are providing perhaps the best argument for why we shouldn't name a captain. Once you pick, you don't get to switch. You'd be stuck with the fan favorites of yesteryear: Umberger to Wiz or JJ, etc...

2) This is all speculation but our locker room seems to be great with lots of guys ready to stand up when needed. You don't need to appoint a leader for that, and if anything entitling one guy would hurt that organic leadership.

I agree they need to pick someone who will be a franchise player, someone who is going to stick around and build up the team (not a 'flavor-of-the-week').

I can understand why some fans are aren't crazy about it after the Nash years. Essentially had a team captain who didn't want to even be on the team. But now is different, with guys like Dubi you have a crew that actually wants to play in Columbus.

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
This is something that needs to be decided by the players. If they're cool with the way things are then that's great. But I could see animosity brewing if the team feels they need or want an appointed captain. I think I remember JMFJ saying something like he thought someone needed to be named sooner rather than later.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
Its going to be either Dubinsky or Johnson. I guess it really doesn't matter if they name a captain or not because those two are wearing an "A". Their already the leaders of the team, especially with no Prospal anymore.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree they need to pick someone who will be a franchise player, someone who is going to stick around and build up the team (not a 'flavor-of-the-week').

I can understand why some fans are aren't crazy about it after the Nash years. Essentially had a team captain who didn't want to even be on the team. But now is different, with guys like Dubi you have a crew that actually wants to play in Columbus.

Um. Nash was perfectly willing to be here the entire time until that very last year. You may wish to revise your psychoanalysis.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Dubi of course!
JJ is too laid back.
Can't think of anyone else,
Maybe Umby, Wiz...BOB?

skimp

Dec 19, 2006
Which one of you clowns asked this in the Dispatch chat today? :shakehead

Comment From WizPuke
Hi Porty. I'm sure you're tired of being asked who the next captain will be, so I'll ask who it won't be. Has Dubinsky taken himself out of consideration with antics like last night's attack on Volchenkov? I'd imagine the captain shouldn't be so hotheaded and prone to stupid penalties at key times in games (late in the third trying to protect the lead). He's Dorsett with a nicer haircut.

Portzline: Dorsett with a nice haircut. Wow. You're right in saying that Dubinsky's response to Volchenkov's hit -- while wildly popular with the denizens of Nationwide Arena -- was probably not the right approach for a team leading by two goals with nine minutes remaining. He even said so after the game. This is a game of passion and quick-trigger reactions, though. Stuff, as they say, happens. What Dubinsky provides to this team is invaluable, though. Scored the first goal last night. Assisted on another. I think most would agree that he brings the energy and passion every night. The players in the room are starting to talk about him with almost a captain-like reverence. The coaches are still waiting to see something else, if not from him from some other people. Otherwise, he'd be wearing the 'C'. But there's a lot about Dubinsky's game, even without a letter, that screams captain material.

Richards needs to hurry up and name Dubi captain so I can finally get a #17 third with a C. This is about me.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Seriously? No offense intended to the OP (actually I rarely have any issue with 1857) but this has to be the most overrated and most useless source of drama out there right now.

It comes up about every week with AP; at least when I do read it.

I get this picture of a kid in the back seat "Are we there yet?" every time this is asked.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Seriously? No offense intended to the OP but this has to be the most overrated and most useless source of drama out there right now.

It comes up about every week with AP; at least when I do read it.

I get this picture of a kid in the back seat "Are we there yet?" every time this is asked.

None taken and I've been fine with how things have been. But I've felt that over the past week "We have finally arrived" and wanted to see if others felt the same.

I don't read AP much at all so I have not felt this subject has been worn out. But I can see how a hack like AP could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad