Has Montreal found its Marchand in Domi?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Just a random thought I had watching the Montreal-Ottawa game yesterday, looking at Domi dominating the scoreboard while chirping all night long at the Ottawa bench...

I'm I the only seeing a lot of similarities between Brad Marchand and Max Domi?

Both small, left handed, skilled first-liners that like to play with an edge and get under their opponents skin with their trash talk and arrogance... They also tend to get suspended for stupidities.

There are a few differences in their play (Marchand having better hands/hockey sense while Domi is faster/grittier) and now Domi is playing center instead of LW, but I really think they are very similar in what they bring to their teams. Of course, Montreal will be really glad if Domi end up having the same kind of career that Marchand... but I really think the potential is there.

What do you think? Do you also get the impression that Montreal has found their Brad Marchand in Max Domi?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marchand is way better defensively and better overall, but I can see the comparison. I view Domi as being closer to Guentzel than Marchand, to be honest.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Marchand is way better defensively and better overall, but I can see the comparison. I view Domi as being closer to Guentzel than Marchand, to be honest.

Is Guentzel as arrogant as Domi? Never really saw that part of his game while watching Pittsburgh to be honest.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Based on how Marchand is viewed by most on these boards I'm not sure if you are trying to compliment Domi or insult him? Many fans say they would never take Marchand on their team. That said, I'd take Domi in a heartbeat.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is Guentzel as arrogant as Domi? Never really saw that part of his game while watching Pittsburgh to be honest.

I don't know if "arrogant" is the right word, but he's definitely a chirper. If he'd be a dirty player, I'd call him a rat 100%. He also has a very punchable face.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Based on how Marchand is viewed by most on these boards I'm not sure if you are trying to compliment Domi or insult him? Many fans say they would never take Marchand on their team. That said, I'd take Domi in a heartbeat.

It is a great compliment to Domi to be compared to Marchand IMO.

For all its warts, Marchand is a money player that performs at his best when the stakes are at their highest. His hands and hockey sense are very underrated IMO.

If Domi can become what Marchand is, I think Montreal will be really lucky.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I mean who knows, at Domi's age Marchand was a 50+ point guy. There is time for Domi to hit that level even if it's unlikely.

Domi has 13 goals in 28 games and is scoring at more than a PPG at the moment... I would say that he is well on his way to replicate/surpass Marchand's output as a 23 y old.

I don't understand why you say it is unlikely!

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
I mean who knows, at Domi's age Marchand was a 50+ point guy. There is time for Domi to hit that level even if it's unlikely.

In his first 2 seasons Domi was a 50+ point guy (52 pts in his 1st and on pace for 53 in his 2nd). Last season was an aberation (45 points) and we're seeing it right now. I think he'll be a consistent 70 points gritty center in the future.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Domi has 13 goals in 28 games and is scoring at more than a PPG at the moment... I would say that he is well on his way to replicate/surpass Marchand's output as a 23 y old.

I don't understand why you say it is unlikely!

Because Marchand is one of the better wingers in the game and for anyone with as limited pedigree as Domi to hit that level is unlikely.

Brayden Schenn had 37 pts in his first 31 games last year after a change of scenery and people were saying the Blues found a good #1C but since then it hasn't been the same. And Schenn was a perennial 50 point guy before that.

In his first 2 seasons Domi was a 50+ point guy (52 pts in his 1st and on pace for 53 in his 2nd). Last season was an aberation (45 points) and we're seeing it right now. I think he'll be a consistent 70 points gritty center in the future.

I think we all know Domi is a good player, and he's playing well this year. And if you're right he's still no Marchand tho.

All we can do is wait and see, but there's definitely similarities between Domi and Marchand can't argue with that.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I hope he's not as dirty as Marchand but a very talented player who adds a physical and mental edge is a great addition to any roster.

Him & Drouin are really fun to watch, very high level creativity and they feed off each other well too. They have been coached well this year and have been directed to attack the net more aggressively together and it's paying off. Looks like a legitimate top line is forming in Montreal around this duo.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I think it's a pretty safe comparaison.

He's awesome. Thank you Arizona and Chayka.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I'd take Marchand in a heartbeat.

Reactions: weinsink

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

I hate Marchand, but I'd take him anytime with my team.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It would be fun if we could see a line of

Marchand-Domi-Gallagher

one day... Maybe on a Team Canada at a World Championship if neither Montreal or Boston make the playoffs?

That would be the best pest line ever. Small and nasty.

How do you even play against those guys? Omg I would not want to face that...

That said Domi looks like he is excited to be in a huge hockey market and the Montreal pressure seems to fuel him instead of crushing him. Hopefully he can play at an high level like Marchand!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I hate Marchand with all my guts but youd be dumb to not take Brad on your team, hes just a great hockey player.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
By the end of his 24 year old season Marchand had 97 points in 173 games. With 158 pims. Per game that's 0.56 points and .91 pims.

He started in NHL older and more seasoned than Domi.

Domi (who will be 24 by season's end ) has 165 points in 250 games with 216 pims. That 0.66 points and 0.86 pims per game. And will likely raise those numbers over next 50.

When you consider age and output ositday it's hard to argue that Domi hasn't been a better player and equal agitator SO FAR in the regular season.

Marchand obviously exploded into a super star at 28.

Jury's out on whether Domi's career arch takes him to the same place. But I think so far so good and fair comparison.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Domi also has 48 points in his last 48 games. Which is almost exactly 20 percent of his career to date.

We're working with a growing sample size of him as a ppg player, it took Marchand 5 more years to consistently maintain that level.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad